Tailgate Thanks..with a short history lesson + a look to '15 | Syracusefan.com

Tailgate Thanks..with a short history lesson + a look to '15

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Guys

Sorry for the late response. I was in Tampa Bay Area without a computer this past weekend.

First off: I want to express a huge thanks to JohnCuse44. Organizing, buying, mailing and ticket brokering is a huge undertaking. John volunteered and took it on with aplomb. He put his own funds up as collateral. He absolutely hit a home run with the parking and getting a block of around 150-200 discount tickets at a place like Clemson. To get discount tickets, prepaid parking and a huge tailgate is a far cry when I went on my first road trips in the 80's to early 00's. I would show up, had no idea where to park, wander around meeting a few Cuse fans with little interaction, see the game and leave.

Our board's genesis tailgates genesis probably goes back to 2002. CTO and a few others actually planted the seed with a few earlier organized Cuse sports events on smaller scales. I personally got involved in 2002 with an @UCF tailgate. In 2003 we saw a somewhat failed effort at UNC but the next year we hit our stride. The tailgate @UVA set the bar for future tailgates. Seeing the NoVA crew driving down in a bus to C-ville already toasted and throwing me an un-assembled, cheapo grill with about 432 parts was the start of making these events bigger and grander. It was a blast and gave me the push to drive on with these events.

On we went to UConn in '05, Pitt and USF in '06, Rutgers in '07. In 2010 we went a step further and organized a block of tickets for Akron along with a planned tailgate. Our first block was only about 60 strong at Akron but it was a blast. We has since grown to 3-4 medium to large road tailgates with block seating.

This board is unlike any other I have seen. We have several roadies a year. Are they always perfect? No...but they are pretty darn awesome. I want to thank guys like JohnCuse44, JackBauer, Moontan, AFOrange, etc...for stepping up and doing the upfront planning and logistics for events in the past two years, what was witnessed on Saturday is the outcome of lessons learned from past years' tailgates. Always Orange!

BTW, next year is going to be a banner year.

@USF on Columbus Day weekend is a given and I will work that one. I want to do a small roadie to Louisville also. That leaves three more great trips (Florida State, NC State, Virginia). Can we get 3 more volunteers?

Last edited:
I want to personally thank you and your co-horts for all you do with the Fine Mess tailgates. I have met some great people there and enjoy the camaraderie. Your organizational skills to all things tailgating, tickets, etc., continue to amaze me. I truly appreciate your , and everyone else associated with the Fine Mess tailgates, efforts. Incredible. Thank you

You can count on me for the NC State Tailgate. Hopefully it's on employee appreciation day again!
Hoping you would volunteer again. Count on us for whatever help you need.

Mark... Thanks for the props. When I had the idea of tailgates back in 200o or 2001... it was just a crazy idea that I thought might work. There were a few earlier ones, but the first one I clearly remember was in 2001 in a game against BC when Lil Joe invited us to throw seafood at him... in return for a donation to the fund to help families of 9/11 first responders. It was a really great event.. and clearly gave impetus to the idea that our tailgates could work.

For those who don't remember Lil Joe... Lil Joe, Millhouse and Chip were suite mates at SU. They were the betes noir of this board. They were very funny.. but not everyone appreciated their humor. Lil Joe was allergic to seafood. In an attempt to encourage camaraderie on the board... he invited all those there to throw seafood at him in return for a donation.

The other highlight of the day ... was the three of them... singing their version of the BC song 'On Boston." It was seriously funny. It had lines about ugly cheerleaders, etc. Maybe one of them could repeat it here.

Thus began the tradition of syracusefan.com tailgates. A modest start in the Waverly Lot... but look where it has gotten us!

PS... All these years later, all three (Millhouse, Chip, Lil Joe) are married with a bunch of kids... and probably wondering what happened to the crazy kids they once were.

Last edited:
Guys

Sorry for the late response. I was in Tampa Bay Area without a computer this past weekend.

First off: I want to express a huge thanks to JohnCuse44. Organizing, buying, mailing and ticket brokering is a huge undertaking. John volunteered and took it on with aplomb. He put his own funds up as collateral. He absolutely hit a home run with the parking and getting a block of around 150 discount tickets at a place like Clemson. To get discount tickets, prepaid parking and a huge tailgate is a far cry when I went on my first road trips in the 80's to early 00's. I would show up, had no idea where to park, wander around meeting a few Cuse fans with little interaction, see the game and leave.

Our board's genesis tailgates genesis probably goes back to 2002. CTO and a few others actually planted the seed with a few earlier organized Cuse sports events on smaller scales. I personally get involved in 2002 with an @UCF tailgate. In 2003 we saw a somewhat failed effort at UNC but the next year we hit our stride. The tailgate @UVA set the bar for future tailgates. Seeing the NoVA crew driving down in a bus to C-ville already toasted and throwing me an un-assembled, cheapo grill with about 432 parts was the start of making these events bigger and grander. It was a blast and gave me the push to drive on with these events.

On we went to UConn in '05, Pitt and USF in '06, Rutgers in '07. In 2008 we went a step further and organized a block of tickets for Akron along with a planned tailgate. Our first block was only about 60 strong at Akron but it was a blast. We has since grown to 3-4 medium to large road tailgates with block seating.

This board is unlike any other I have seen. We have several roadies a year. Are they always perfect? No...but they are pretty darn awesome. I want to thank guys like JohnCuse44, JackBauer, Moontan, AFOrange, etc...for stepping up and doing the upfront planning and logistics for events in the past like what was witnessed on Saturday. Always Orange!

BTW, next year is going to be a banner year.

@USF on Columbus Day weekend is a given and I will work that one. I want to do a small roadie to Louisville also. That leaves three more great trips (Florida State, NC State, Virginia). Can we get 3 more volunteers?
OMG I can't believe it's been that long since that UVA game Bayside and Fairfaxcuse organized. Was truly and epic day and you're right we've been on an upward swing ever since. I remember like yesterday how lit up we all were and that stupid grill! You saved the day my friend! LOL

Akron 2008? That seems like yesterday. So I had to check. It was 09/04/2010.

I'd rather not remember Akron 2008.

Next year will be epic. Great road venues and a home schedule that will be the best in a generation.

Mark... Thanks for the props. When I had the idea of tailgates back in 200o or 2001... it was just a crazy idea that I thought might work. There were a few earlier ones, but the first one I clearly remember was in 2001 in a game against BC when Lil Joe invited us to throw seafood at him... in return for a donation to the fund to help families of 9/11 first responders. It was a really great event.. and clearly gave impetus to the idea that our tailgates could work.

For those who don't remember Lil Joe... Lil Joe, Millhouse and Chip were suite mates at SU. They were the bete noirs of this board. They were very funny.. but not everyone appreciated their humor. Lil Joe was allergic to seafood. In an attempt to encourage camaraderie on the board... he invited all those there to throw seafood at him in return for a donation.

The other highlight of the day ... was the three of them... singing their version of the BC song 'On Boston." It was seriously funny. It had lines about ugly cheerleaders, etc. Maybe one of them could repeat it here.

Thus began the tradition of syracusefan.com tailgates. A modest start in the Waverly Lot... but look where it has gotten us!

PS... All these years later, all three (Millhouse, Chip, Lil Joe) are married with a bunch of kids... and probably wondering what happened to the crazy kids they once were.

Thanks for filling in the early years...I know you guys had a group at BC around 2000 for a game.

Next year will be epic. Great road venues and a home schedule that will be the best in a generation.
Good catch...fixed. 2008 was the Akron game I paced around the Dome corridor so pissed we were getting beat by a MAC team.

Akron fans watching Kenny's 2 Pennies videos on big screen TVs was something I never expected to see. bnoro NailstheCusefan12 and I made that fateful trip. It was...something.

TexanMark said:
Guys Sorry for the late response. I was in Tampa Bay Area without a computer this past weekend. First off: I want to express a huge thanks to JohnCuse44. Organizing, buying, mailing and ticket brokering is a huge undertaking. John volunteered and took it on with aplomb. He put his own funds up as collateral. He absolutely hit a home run with the parking and getting a block of around 150-200 discount tickets at a place like Clemson. To get discount tickets, prepaid parking and a huge tailgate is a far cry when I went on my first road trips in the 80's to early 00's. I would show up, had no idea where to park, wander around meeting a few Cuse fans with little interaction, see the game and leave. Our board's genesis tailgates genesis probably goes back to 2002. CTO and a few others actually planted the seed with a few earlier organized Cuse sports events on smaller scales. I personally get involved in 2002 with an @UCF tailgate. In 2003 we saw a somewhat failed effort at UNC but the next year we hit our stride. The tailgate @UVA set the bar for future tailgates. Seeing the NoVA crew driving down in a bus to C-ville already toasted and throwing me an un-assembled, cheapo grill with about 432 parts was the start of making these events bigger and grander. It was a blast and gave me the push to drive on with these events. On we went to UConn in '05, Pitt and USF in '06, Rutgers in '07. In 2010 we went a step further and organized a block of tickets for Akron along with a planned tailgate. Our first block was only about 60 strong at Akron but it was a blast. We has since grown to 3-4 medium to large road tailgates with block seating. This board is unlike any other I have seen. We have several roadies a year. Are they always perfect? No...but they are pretty darn awesome. I want to thank guys like JohnCuse44, JackBauer, Moontan, AFOrange, etc...for stepping up and doing the upfront planning and logistics for events in the past two years, what was witnessed on Saturday is the outcome of lessons learned from past years' tailgates. Always Orange! BTW, next year is going to be a banner year. @USF on Columbus Day weekend is a given and I will work that one. I want to do a small roadie to Louisville also. That leaves three more great trips (Florida State, NC State, Virginia). Can we get 3 more volunteers?
. Any chance acc changes schedule and or divisions this winter?

For those who don't remember Lil Joe... Lil Joe, Millhouse and Chip were suite mates at SU. They were the bete noirs of this board. They were very funny.. but not everyone appreciated their humor. Lil Joe was allergic to seafood. In an attempt to encourage camaraderie on the board... he invited all those there to throw seafood at him in return for a donation.

i don't appreciate this kind of attack on my character! unless you consider maggies a suite, i am happy to report that I never lived with these guys.

i don't appreciate this kind of attack on my character! unless you consider maggies a suite, i am happy to report that I never lived with these guys.

Right, that is the one part Joyce missed. If I had lived with you two in college, surely I'd never be speaking to you again.

2001 BC was the first official tailgate. Crouse-Irving lot, before it went premium. That was always the perfect spot. I think the mess we left is the reason they changed it to premium.

I still can't believe my wife married me after that singing performance. But I guess you could argue that her dating me in the first place was the bigger sign of desperation.

i never knew why we were throwing food at Lil Joe back in '01. thought he lost a bet to millhouse or someone and they opened up the spoils to those of us in attendence.

there was also a young kid there, Rob i think, who helped out with the...for lack of a better term...IT of the board. he was 18 or something. i remember slipping him beers the whole time. left him sitting on a curb, dont think he ever made it into the game.

is he still here? cripes, by now hes got be in his 30s...

i never knew why we were throwing food at Lil Joe back in '01. thought he lost a bet to millhouse or someone and they opened up the spoils to those of us in attendence.

there was also a young kid there, Rob i think, who helped out with the...for lack of a better term...IT of the board. he was 18 or something. i remember slipping him beers the whole time. left him sitting on a curb, dont think he ever made it into the game.

is he still here? cripes, by now hes got be in his 30s...
he lost a bet to BC friends of his or something, then it turned into some throw scallops at joe or else the terrorists win. it never made much sense but it was fun watching him wretch

it was the second greatest lil joe tailgate related moment.

#1 will always be wisconsin kickoff classic turning on the surprising afterburners to catch a nerf ball that was taken by the wind only to run top speed into the side of a parked car. it's a shame that cell phone cameras weren't around because it would have 100 billion views

UPDATE:
We have 5 tailgates with potential handlers. This far out...that is a great start. I still would like to get a few more volunteers lined up as the official released football schedule might preclude someone from helping as intended.

@USF Oct 10th TexanMark
@ Louisville TexanMark (OrangeJet/Cuyahoga Cuse 1st Assts)
@ NCSt JackBauer44
@FSU AirForceOrange (TexanMark 1st Asst)
@ UVA Crusty

I highly recommend folks sign up for PayPal. Get the PayPal account tied to your checking account. Some of the games we will be buying block seating...other games (like Louisville) we might be better to buy tickets through SU.

Last edited:
he lost a bet to BC friends of his or something, then it turned into some throw scallops at joe or else the terrorists win. it never made much sense but it was fun watching him wretch

it was the second greatest lil joe tailgate related moment.

#1 will always be wisconsin kickoff classic turning on the surprising afterburners to catch a nerf ball that was taken by the wind only to run top speed into the side of a parked car. it's a shame that cell phone cameras weren't around because it would have 100 billion views

I was surprised he made it into Giants Stadium that day, it was touch and go.

The throw food thing wasn't even a bet. It was just some bizarre challenge where he said if we win at Blacksburg that year, he'll let the board throw anything at him at the BC tailgate.

I think he would have done it even if VT beat us.

UPDATE:
We have 5 tailgates with potential handlers. This far out...that is a great start. I still would like to get a few more volunteers lined up as the official released football schedule might preclude someone from helping as intended.

@USF Oct 10th TexanMark
@ Louisville TexanMark
@ NCSt JackBauer44
@FSU AirForceOrange
@ UVA Crusty

I highly recommend folks sign up for PayPal. Get the PayPal account tied to your checking account. Some of the games we will be buying block seating...other games (like Louisville) we might be better to buy tickets through SU.
Props to all the volunteers for these games.

Flying in limits my ability but if it is possible for me to bring stuff from CNY (Hoffman's, Gianelli, salt potatoes, etc.), I will. Not sure if I am going to drive to Charlottesville. That drive is close to my self imposed 7 hour limit.

Is anyone going to the BC and Pitt games on the road this season but me? Any interest in setting up a small tailgate for either venue?

Tom...I have a few thoughts on Pitt. Why don't you start a Pitt tailgate thread...see if you get interest?

Flying in limits my ability but if it is possible for me to bring stuff from CNY (Hoffman's, Gianelli, salt potatoes, etc.), I will. Not sure if I am going to drive to Charlottesville. That drive is close to my self imposed 7 hour limit.

Is anyone going to the BC and Pitt games on the road this season but me? Any interest in setting up a small tailgate for either venue?
Tom... I might go to the BC game this year if it is an early game. I have no interest in driving home after a night game.

pondering the clowns.

at a minimum, it has to mean something.

then ill need to hammer some things out.

lot of moving parts this far out though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom