Tailgate Thanks..with a short history lesson + a look to '15 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tailgate Thanks..with a short history lesson + a look to '15

Mark... Thanks for the props. When I had the idea of tailgates back in 200o or 2001... it was just a crazy idea that I thought might work. There were a few earlier ones, but the first one I clearly remember was in 2001 in a game against BC when Lil Joe invited us to throw seafood at him... in return for a donation to the fund to help families of 9/11 first responders. It was a really great event.. and clearly gave impetus to the idea that our tailgates could work.

For those who don't remember Lil Joe... Lil Joe, Millhouse and Chip were suite mates at SU. They were the betes noir of this board. They were very funny.. but not everyone appreciated their humor. Lil Joe was allergic to seafood. In an attempt to encourage camaraderie on the board... he invited all those there to throw seafood at him in return for a donation.

The other highlight of the day ... was the three of them... singing their version of the BC song 'On Boston." It was seriously funny. It had lines about ugly cheerleaders, etc. Maybe one of them could repeat it here.

Thus began the tradition of syracusefan.com tailgates. A modest start in the Waverly Lot... but look where it has gotten us!

PS... All these years later, all three (Millhouse, Chip, Lil Joe) are married with a bunch of kids... and probably wondering what happened to the crazy kids they once were.

Wasn't there a sprained ankle during that wild 2001 tailgate too?

Lil Joe's debacle with seafood seemed to spur Millhouse's infatuation in later tailgates with shrimp jokes.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a sprained ankle during that wild 2001 tailgate too?
Actually, it was a sprained knee... courtesy of Chip's friend Sirhan ... who passed out, fell down and blindsided me from behind where I could not see him coming. As a result, my knee slammed against a concrete curb. Sirhan was never seen at a tailgate again.

Wow great Memories from some road Tailgates! UVA 03, Auburn 04, ND 06,(Cuseregular got kick out of the Stadium) Miami of Ohio 07 (still pissed we lost) South Florida 12, FSU 13! Great Job by everyone who put them together!

Actually, it was a sprained knee... courtesy of Chip's friend Sirhan ... who passed out, fell down and blindsided me from behind where I could not see him coming. As a result, my knee slammed against a concrete curb. Sirhan was never seen at a tailgate again.

13 years ago - wow - does time fly. Poor Joyce, poor Chip & poor Sirhan and my poor memory.

Wow great Memories from some road Tailgates! UVA 03, Auburn 04, ND 06,(Cuseregular got kick out of the Stadium) Miami of Ohio 07 (still pissed we lost) South Florida 12, FSU 13! Great Job by everyone who put them together!

Cuseregular was 2005...highlights were the booze bus and the band.

As far as UVa, the worst thing about being in whatever ACC division we are in is not a trip there every other year. Maryland had us covered til the B1G.

As far as UVa, the worst thing about being in whatever ACC division we are in is not a trip there every other year. Maryland had us covered til the B1G.

Found a picture of Bayside alighting from the DC Party Bus before the UVA game:

cf46887a37cc7ea42200d43f4a7d3cc5.jpg

This has been a fun thread to read. Didn't truly realize the camaraderie that some of you have. Like my signature says, 'I'm an outsider...' I don't know any of you but this thread gives me the feeling that if I ever showed up at one of these shindigs and said I was Opus from syracusefan.com (despite the fact you questioning 'Who the heck is Opus?') I would still be offered a beer. ;)

TexanMark said:
Tom...I have a few thoughts on Pitt. Why don't you start a Pitt tailgate thread...see if you get interest?

Guys. It's two hours down the road for me. Let me chat with Mrs. CC about it.

yeesh, getting booted out of there was a trip. Early first qtr, no buzz at all, no obnoxious behavior by anyone at all, literally grabbed the mini Jack out into the open not even poured into the Coke yet....

And the big hand of the Nazi Usher hits the shoulder with a pull and simultaneous "you're outta here" and takes me out of there with a friend in tow (one who had the presence of mind to take pics on the way out...
image.jpg

Wouldn't listen, give no chance and I tell him I want to speak to your head supervisor here. Had a clear head, a fistful of hate toward ND, pissed at the ridiculous nature of this policy with no leeway or second chance.

Old cantankerous power tripping usher takes me to his fearless leader saying it won't matter as it is a hard and fast policy that I should have looked at my ticket for the policy. I look at him with as much disdain as I can muster again asking to please take me to your head guy. We have to wait a bit for me to be brought to him where he again says to me that it wouldn't matter, and it was apparent he was used to slobbering drunks who just get booted.

Well I channel my most Hamilton like articulate and rational mindset and go at it with the head honcho who little did I know was Capt. Bligh reincarnated:
image.jpg

Well after a little song and dance with Capt. Bligh all the while with him looking at me with laser like vision never breaking gaze or showing any human emotion...there I am giving him the blah blah blah, had no idea of the policy, blah blah blah, we can drink in the Carrier Dome, blah blah blah, will be more than happy to get rid of it, blah blah blah, revere this university and all it stands for (simultaneously throwing up in my mouth), blah blah blah, hope he can make an exception for this situation...

Finished my spiel, he's still staring right through me uttering not a single word for what felt like an hour, finally with a wave of his Capt. Blye hook hand he waves us off and barely audibly mutters to the Nazi usher, "let him stay".

The dissappointed look on the face of that usher could've been I swear the original ad for those visa commercials as far as I was concerned, and then off I went back to the crew giving over with a tear the rest of the Jr. JD bottles all the while being met with looks of What is going on from everyone in the section. Had I gotten booted I had an insurance extra tix I would have used to get back in as one of my friends was left back in Chicago too hungover to have made the game, Ah good times...

Last edited:
yeesh, getting booted out of there was a trip. Early first qtr, no buzz at all, no obnoxious behavior by anyone at all, literally grabbed the mini Jack out into the open not even poured into the Coke yet...

And the big hand of the Nazi Usher hits the shoulder with a pull and simultaneous "you're outta here" and takes me out of there with a friend in tow (one who had the presence of mind to take pics on the way out...
View attachment 29356

Wouldn't listen, give no chance and I tell him I want to speak to your head supervisor here. Had a clear head, a fistful of hate toward ND, pissed at the ridiculous nature of this policy with no leeway or second chance.

Old cantankerous power tripping usher takes me to his fearless leader saying it won't matter as it is a hard and fast policy that I should have looked at my ticket for the policy. I look at him with as much disdain as I can muster again asking to please take me to your head guy. We have to wait a bit for me to be brought to him where he again says to me that it wouldn't matter, and it was apparent he was used to slobbering drunks who just get booted.

Well I channel my most Hamilton like articulate and rational mindset and go at it with the head honcho who little did I know was Capt. Bligh reincarnated:
View attachment 29357
Well after a little song and dance with Capt. Bligh all the while with him looking at me with laser like vision never breaking gaze or showing any human emotion...there I am giving him the blah blah blah, had no idea of the policy, blah blah blah, we can drink in the Carrier Dome, blah blah blah, will be more than happy to get rid of it, blah blah blah, revere this university and all it stands for (simultaneously throwing up in my mouth), blah blah blah, hope he can make an exception for this situation...

Finished my spiel, he's still staring right through me uttering not a single word for what felt like an hour, finally with a wave of his Capt. Blye hook hand he waves us off and barely audibly mutters to the Nazi usher, "let him stay".

The dissappointed look on the face of that usher could've been I swear the original ad for those visa commercials as far as I was concerned, and then off I went back to the crew giving over with a tear the rest of the Jr. JD bottles all the while being met with looks of What is going on from everyone in the section. Had I gotten booted I had an insurance extra tix I would have used to get back in as one of my friends was left back in Chicago too hungover to have made the game, Ah good times...
image.jpg

yeesh, getting booted out of there was a trip. Early first qtr, no buzz at all, no obnoxious behavior by anyone at all, literally grabbed the mini Jack out into the open not even poured into the Coke yet...

View attachment 29356

View attachment 29357

Wow! You ARE the man!!

Wow! You ARE the man!!
that was an interesting experience to say the least and another good chapter to this very cool Syracusefan.com book we're building both home and away and on here, but ones who are the real "man" and the coolest story by far are those guys that pilfered the Michigan alumni banner the night before the game back in I think '98 and took a picture with it back in Syracuse shortly thereafter. Think someone here has that pic.

You want Syracusefan.com legend and the greatest feat bar none, that's the one!

I had a bottle of Beam in my back pocket - saw what happened to Mike and promptly dumped it out.

that was an interesting experience to say the least and another good chapter to this very cool Syracusefan.com book we're building both home and away and on here, but ones who are the real "man" and the coolest story by far are those guys that pilfered the Michigan alumni banner the night before the game back in I think '98 and took a picture with it back in Syracuse shortly thereafter. Think someone here has that pic.

You want Syracusefan.com legend and the greatest feat bar none, that's the one!
So theft of property is cool? Oh wait, Michigan yeah, I can see that.

View attachment 29356

View attachment 29357

did that guy give you complimentary fish sticks after you two made out?

View attachment 29356

View attachment 29357

utterly fantastic.

props to your buddy for filming the event too.

View attachment 29356

View attachment 29357

Sir, we need to party together.

TexanMark said:
Sorta...but not the same effort or scope. I've never been to a Spring Game but heard the reports.

We did one in 2008...gorgeous 80 degree day and we had a good turnout. The last few years we've stuck to club 44 since it's open to the public. The weather has been terrible and most people don't even go.

Cuseregular said:
that was an interesting experience to say the least and another good chapter to this very cool Syracusefan.com book we're building both home and away and on here, but ones who are the real "man" and the coolest story by far are those guys that pilfered the Michigan alumni banner the night before the game back in I think '98 and took a picture with it back in Syracuse shortly thereafter. Think someone here has that pic. You want Syracusefan.com legend and the greatest feat bar none, that's the one!

You and Fairfaxcuse were a riot with the grey goose before Washington 2007

We did one in 2008...gorgeous 80 degree day and we had a good turnout. The last few years we've stuck to club 44 since it's open to the public. The weather has been terrible and most people don't even go.

Yup, ever since that 08 tailgate the weather seems to have gotten progressively worse for the spring game, even this years weather wasnt exactly great. Not sure Club 44 is going to be an option moving forward as this year it was open only for Ernie Davis members until the spring game started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom