Class of 2016 - Taurean Thompson Versus Omer Faruk Yurtseven, 5/18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Taurean Thompson Versus Omer Faruk Yurtseven, 5/18

Dave85

Living Legend
Would you rather have Thompson or Yurtseven? I think Thompson would be a better fit with SU even though Yurtseven may be the better player. Yurtseven seems to have a bit of an ego an may cause trouble.

Also, someone please confirm 5/18 is the NLI deadline? Or is there another deadline?

NLI signing dates:
Basketball (Regular Period)
Division I: April 13, 2016 to May 18, 2016 ..

A recruit can enroll at a school any time prior to the semester. The May 18th date is to sign a NLI.

Long term, Thompson would be the better get. But for one year, Yurtseven is the choice. He seems much more likely to contribute heavily as a freshman and has an offensive game that will be needed. With Mali likely gone, any additional offensive firepower would be great.

Interesting question, especially in light of those who are declaring that Mali is NBA bound. A kid like Omer, could come in and be a scoring threat for us in year one. We could potentially play a huge back line with him, TRob and TL, and a combo of DC/PC. We would need our guard play to be steady, but I would guess FH would be quite happy picking up assists by the gallon with that front court. Gillon and TB would need to keep defenses from packing the lane, (TL would help here as well). Long story short, OY gives us a better chance next year to fill the offensive hole that MR will leave. TT is definitely a 2-3 year kid at Cuse, for the simple reason, that he will not play over the guys currently on the roster. In this day and age, I think you stack your team as best as possible for the coming year. You can't look too far ahead. A few good tourney games and you lose a kid you were counting on for the following year.

A recruit can enroll at a school any time prior to the semester. The May 18th date is to sign a NLI.

Long term, Thompson would be the better get. But for one year, Yurtseven is the choice. He seems much more likely to contribute heavily as a freshman and has an offensive game that will be needed. With Mali likely gone, any additional offensive firepower would be great.
If we have to choose, with Mali most likely gone, I definitely go with Yurtseven. That's an elite level front line. Even without him is pretty close to that level re: potential.

Starters: Omer-Roberson-Lydon

Bench: Chukwu-Moyer-Coleman

Would you rather have Thompson or Yurtseven? I think Thompson would be a better fit with SU even though Yurtseven may be the better player. Yurtseven seems to have a bit of an ego an may cause trouble.

Out of curiosity, what are you basing that on?

Out of curiosity, what are you basing that on?

My impression from his interview. I can get the exact link but it's posted in the OY thread.

My impression from his interview. I can get the exact link but it's posted in the OY thread.

What did he say to give you that impression? I didn't get that at all.

Not sure what "OY thread" means. Haven't seen any interviews from the kid.

What did he say to give you that impression? I didn't get that at all.

Maybe I will watch it again. Nothing specific just his answers.

Not sure what "OY thread" means. Haven't seen any interviews from the kid.

OY is his name. The recruiting thread with his name has a bunch of videos. But I went through the thread and found the interview one:

The kid seems like a nice kid. But basketball is a team sport. Just from his answers I'm not sure he would be interested in putting the time into learning the 2-3 zone defense. Maybe I'm wrong. As I said, it was just and impression I got from his interview and what he wants to do.

Also, someone please confirm 5/18 is the NLI deadline? Or is there another deadline?

NLI signing dates:
Basketball (Regular Period)
Division I: April 13, 2016 to May 18, 2016 ..
I agree that Yhompson might have the better up side than YurtsevenBUT ethos time either would be welcome.Considering the high number of prospects that claim to regard the Orange highly yet none will commit. This is a bonafide What process In terms of need and puzzle pieces we areas close to having the kind of team that could project as a NC caliber team for Jimmy.As we all know ,anytime the team projects high end quality Jimmy down plays the expectation to take the pressure off himself. Its predictable.

OY is his name. The recruiting thread with his name has a bunch of videos. But I went through the thread and found the interview one:

The kid seems like a nice kid. But basketball is a team sport. Just from his answers I'm not sure he would be interested in putting the time into learning the 2-3 zone defense. Maybe I'm wrong. As I said, it was just and impression I got from his interview and what he wants to do.

I didn't see any "ego" there. A low-key kid, with some language issues, and that's about it. Says he's there to improve and work, and he welcomes the older, more physical competition. He's not Moyer, but who is?! If he wants us, i wouldn't have any worries that he wouldn't want to put in time to learn the defense.

We'd be 'stacked' at the power positions. Like Carolina was this year. That would be a nice thing to see.

Can't we get both? One's a center, the other a forward.

Would probably mean no playing time for Thompson next season. If we had Yurtseven I would assume that he and Chuckwu would basically eat all of the minutes at C and probably push DCII to PF for minutes. A rotation of DCII, Lydon, Roberson and/or Moyer isn't going to leave many minutes available for Thompson as a frosh.

Would probably mean no playing time for Thompson next season. If we had Yurtseven I would assume that he and Chuckwu would basically eat all of the minutes at C and probably push DCII to PF for minutes. A rotation of DCII, Lydon, Roberson and/or Moyer isn't going to leave many minutes available for Thompson as a frosh.

I doubt that there is any addition that would "push" DC to the 4. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness to play there in the zone.

If anything Yurt is more likely to play the 4 in that scenario. Kinda of irrelevant either way because I think there is a far better chance that we miss on both TT and Yurt than there is that we get both.

I doubt that there is any addition that would "push" DC to the 4. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness to play there in the zone.

If anything Yurt is more likely to play the 4 in that scenario. Kinda of irrelevant either way because I think there is a far better chance that we miss on both TT and Yurt than there is that we get both.
IF we got Yurtseven it would be amazing to see him at the 4 Chukwu at the 5 with Lydon at the 3. Two guys at or over 7 feet and a 6' 10" Lydon, that is some serious size. If Richardson were to come back we could have a lineup of Battle, Richardson, Lydon, Chukwu, Yurtseven. 6'6" 6'6" 6'10" 7' and 7' 2". thats some serious size

IF we got Yurtseven it would be amazing to see him at the 4 Chukwu at the 5 with Lydon at the 3. Two guys at or over 7 feet and a 6' 10" Lydon, that is some serious size. If Richardson were to come back we could have a lineup of Battle, Richardson, Lydon, Chukwu, Yurtseven. 6'6" 6'6" 6'10" 7' and 7' 2". thats some serious size
Lydon is 6'8, but yes that'd be a tall lineup, taller than almost every NBA team.

721Comstock said:
Lydon may have the same thing Jerami Grant had. It causes growth of a few inches per year if left untreated. :p
it's called Chipotle

Lydon is 6'8, but yes that'd be a tall lineup, taller than almost every NBA team.

I swear before the season I saw 6'10" in a few places. Anyways he was measured at 6' 8.75" without shoes at usa basketball in 2014. Which is strange because he is listed as 6'8" on cuse.com. Usually they pad those numbers a little. But whatever I stand corrected.

It will be a fun lineup if it works out, but I think no matter who is here,Roberson starts. One of the great things about coach is his intense loyalty, but the overall soz and boarding on a team with all those big guys would be cool. Hopefully the 3 ball is still a viable part of the arsenal.