Taurean Thompson | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

If we get Mullins and Dembele ... the only Thompson we're going to remember is Stevie.
I saw Stevie inLA when Jimmy and Gross were intown a few years ago. The big deal at that time was the verbal from DC2. Steve had packed on a good number of pounds. Facialy he looked the same but hew was going to dunk anything more than a doughnut in a cup of coffee. A lot of doughnuts.!Jimmy has gotta get Taurean or Dembele (sic)

Frankly I hope we look elsewhere. Seems like way too much drama in this recruitment.

I was never as high on this one as others on this board. There is no reason he hasn't committed already -- and it's not like he is a McCollough type of recruit. I would be fine locking up Dembele instead.

I knowright...this kid is pissing me off. No need to pull our chain the way he is doing. If I was JB, if I got a commit from Dembele, I would pull TT offer and tell him to kiss off and we will make it work else where. Save it for next years crop

Damn.. Some of you people are ridiculous.

So a kid is high school is taking his time on a decision that will affect the rest of his life? How dare he!!

Come on people chill out its like you think Syracuse is the only school in the world worth going to.

If I was this kids parent I would be telling him to take his time until he is 100% too.

So a kid is high school is taking his time on a decision that will affect the rest of his life? How dare he!!

Come on people chill out its like you think Syracuse is the only school in the world worth going to.

If I was this kids parent I would be telling him to take his time until he is 100% too.
If I could like this 1000 times I would. How SU basketball does has ZERO impact on any of us.

There's a timeline for recruiting decisions. It's up to the recruits and their families how long to take. And no doubt NBA decisions and available scholarships have to be considered.

That said, some kids can drift, especially where there's a "handler" or a parent is functioning like an agent (I'm not saying that's the case with Thompson). Even where there's no handler or parent-agent, a player's "list" can change endlessly and a circus atmosphere can get started. Whatever the situation, when the process drags into the spring and beyond, at some point the staff has to determine if the recruit is interested in SU, the attention or other considerations. It's always the recruit's prerogative. But when a reasonable time has passed with no decision, the staff (and many on the board) move on to prospects with genuine interest.

Last edited:
reedny said:
There's a timeline for recruiting decisions. It's up the recruits and their families how long to take. And no doubt NBA decisions and available scholarships have to be considered.

He's being pretty smart, waiting to see who declares and how it affects his potential playing time. While the UCONN visit may seem out of the blue, they just had a player declare so it makes sense.

With the changes to draft declaration rules, this is going to happen more often. The limiting factor will be official visits.

Let the kid make his decision. It's the biggest one of his life so far. A top ten kid will get early NBA interest wherever he goes. A top 100 kid needs to make sure he's in the right situation to be recognized by his sophomore season, which is a key to getting drafted in the first round.

There's a timeline for recruiting decisions. It's up the recruits and their families how long to take. And no doubt NBA decisions and available scholarships have to be considered.

That said, some kids can drift, especially where there's a "handler" or a parent is functioning like an agent (I'm not saying that's the case with Thompson). Even where there's no handler or parent-agent, a player's "list" can change endlessly and a circus atmosphere can get started. Whatever the situation, when the process drags into the spring and beyond, at some point the staff has to determine if the recruit is interested in SU, the attention or other considerations. It's always the recruit's prerogative. But when a reasonable time has passed with no decision, the staff (and many on the board) move on to prospects with genuine interest.
Maybe it's a parent being a parent. It should be a very deliberative process, depending on personal criteria. Doors seem to be opening up to him the longer he waits.
The one to SU may close, but he will land somewhere.

He's being pretty smart, waiting to see who declares and how it affects his potential playing time. While the UCONN visit may seem out of the blue, they just had a player declare so it makes sense.

With the changes to draft declaration rules, this is going to happen more often. The limiting factor will be official visits.

Let the kid make his decision. It's the biggest one of his life so far. A top ten kid will get early NBA interest wherever he goes. A top 100 kid needs to make sure he's in the right situation to be recognized by his sophomore season, which is a key to getting drafted in the first round.

New rules really make it difficult from a recruiting perspective both for the school and for the incoming class particularly those who consider themselves 1&Ds. Signing period in April but no one knows what the roster will look like until well after that. The system is broken. The new rules are certainly a boon to the kids who are making an NBA decision but what happens if a school assumes a player is leaving, recruits a replacement who signs an LOI in April bringing the school to the 13 ship limit and the current player decides to come back? IMHO the age restriction needs to be either raised or eliminated but the subtle change in philosophy where NBA teams draft more based on potential than production seems to be a root cause that no system would address.

And I (cringe) Calipari's approach that every player declares. Makes it easier to recruit and talk about potential playing time when you can say you have 0 "sure thing" returning players.

It only makes sense of the player that declares would take pt from you

New rules really make it difficult from a recruiting perspective both for the school and for the incoming class particularly those who consider themselves 1&Ds. Signing period in April but no one knows what the roster will look like until well after that. The system is broken. The new rules are certainly a boon to the kids who are making an NBA decision but what happens if a school assumes a player is leaving, recruits a replacement who signs an LOI in April bringing the school to the 13 ship limit and the current player decides to come back? IMHO the age restriction needs to be either raised or eliminated but the subtle change in philosophy where NBA teams draft more based on potential than production seems to be a root cause that no system would address.

And I (cringe) Calipari's approach that every player declares. Makes it easier to recruit and talk about potential playing time when you can say you have 0 "sure thing" returning players.

I don't think the system is broken. It just hasn't been adjusted to the new rules. The late signing period in April is before the draft deadline in May. Probably need to line those two up or there will be no LOI's to commit a kid who wants to wait to a school. Then a team like Kentucky can try to swoop in an get a player to switch before school starts.

Lots of schools don't award all of their scholarships every year (Syracuse often had 12 players on the roster), so waiting on one to commit at the end of the year isn't a big deal in my opinion. It's just a question of how long do you wait. And if your trying to fill more than one roster spot in mid April, you have more problems than a kid wanting to wait to see how things shake out.

We have Thompson, Dembele, the Columbia grad transfer (name escapes me) and possibly Diallo in play. It will work out in the end, and Thompson is not the type of player who will likely steal minutes from established players.

My opinion would change if Lydon declares though...:eek:

Maybe it's a parent being a parent. It should be a very deliberative process, depending on personal criteria. Doors seem to be opening up to him the longer he waits.
Absolutely ... some parents act like parents. Those raising a plant (not a seed) let the kid make the final decision while providing support with the process. Unfortunately, others pretend to be professional agents who shop their kid in the open market like a time-share. I don't know which is the case with Thompson and I'm not making any accusations.

Unfortunately, not all recruitments are as innocent as you suggest. When parent-agents, handlers, posses and other situations develop, the process becomes corrupt and shady schools start showing up at the last minute. Then you know it's time for legit. schools to look elsewhere. Again, I'm not saying this is the case with Thompson ... but enough time has passed for SU to move on. That's why JB's visiting Dembele.

Last edited:

Sure ... as I said, it's the recruits decision. By April .. he's had huge amounts of time for honest "deliberation". If he's not ready to commit to SU at this stage for whatever reason (legit or not legit), he shouldn't be surprised if the staff starts looking elsewhere. It's a two-sided process.

Last edited:
I don't think the system is broken. It just hasn't been adjusted to the new rules. The late signing period in April is before the draft deadline in May. Probably need to line those two up or there will be no LOI's to commit a kid who wants to wait to a school. Then a team like Kentucky can try to swoop in an get a player to switch before school starts.

Lots of schools don't award all of their scholarships every year (Syracuse often had 12 players on the roster), so waiting on one to commit at the end of the year isn't a big deal in my opinion. It's just a question of how long do you wait. And if your trying to fill more than one roster spot in mid April, you have more problems than a kid wanting to wait to see how things shake out.

We have Thompson, Dembele, the Columbia grad transfer (name escapes me) and possibly Diallo in play. It will work out in the end, and Thompson is not the type of player who will likely steal minutes from established players.

My opinion would change if Lydon declares though...:eek:
I'm not sure these two statements go together. Whenever a rule change benefits a semi-pro operation like UK's, something's not right. That said, it's a good idea to allow college players to declare (without hiring an agent), get an evaluation and then return to school. That makes sense .. since we all know the majority will not hear what they want just based on the numbers involved (only 30 players in the entire world can fit into the first round).

Absolutely ... some parents act like parents. Those raising a plant (not a seed) let the kid make the final decision while providing support with the process. Unfortunately, others pretend to be professional agents who shop their kid in the open market like a time-share. I don't know which is the case with Thompson and I'm not making any accusations.

Unfortunately, not all recruitments are as innocent as you suggest. When parent-agents, handlers, posses and other situations develop, the process becomes corrupt and shady schools start showing up at the last minute. Then you know it's time for legit. schools to look elsewhere. Again, I'm not saying this is the case with Thompson ... but enough time has passed for SU to move on. That's why JB's visiting Dembele.

This. It's great to think we are in an ideal world where recruits are doing all this due diligence to pick the right school etc etc. The reality is we have seen this before. There are so many factors that come into play in this recruiting game that when you see this amount of deliberation, new schools coming in the mix at the last minute etc, red flags as to our situation are raised. The staff I'm sure is looking at alternate plans right now -- no need to miss out on another kid if it starts appearing we are being strung along. Not saying this is the case necessarily and that this kid and his family aren't genuinely taking their time to do all the necessary research -- but as we have seen before, oftentimes this signals they are trying to go somewhere else. The staff shouldn't be missing out on other opportunities that may be out there if that's the case. I doubt Dembele coming into the recruiting mix now is a coincidence.

99 of the top 100 have signed already. This isn't normal "parenting". Spots are getting filled up. Mom is playing a bluffing game, hoping that someone has a need that might get her kid to a "better" program than he might otherwise have wound up at.

99 of the top 100 have signed already. This isn't normal "parenting". Spots are getting filled up. Mom is playing a bluffing game, hoping that someone has a need that might get her kid to a "better" program than he might otherwise have wound up at.
Not many better schools than Syracuse out there.

If he is the only one not signed out there should tell you something not right in Denmark. Like I said, get a commit from Dembele and tell TT to kiss off. If he is good as his mom and he thinks he is, he will get playing time no matter where he goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom