Taurean Thompson | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

Cusefan0307 said:
I think that was just a board assumption.

If Coleman has a good year, wouldn't surprise me if he goes to Europe and starts getting paid.

Paschal is going to start at center next year. The staff is raving about him.
Don't even start .. I'm having enough trouble getting stuff done without thinking about the possibilities next year.

Excited.gif

Orrrrrr...
He could be waiting for Turkey or Puke to come calling, in the meanwhile, fix up his 80s style website right proper and presto, SHU it is!
But seriously, I think RF is more accurate.

Just to be clear--I'm not making a prediction / have no inside intel. Just saying that it could be the reason for him postponing until spring. Him doing so might be a bad sign under normal circumstances, but could be a good sign given our current circumstances, who he's visited, who he's considering, etc.

I had the chance to go see Taurean play last evening here in Pembroke, NH. His team severely overmatched Redemption Academy from Mass which was primarily made up of foreign players (a couple each from Jamaica and Bahamas, a couple from Africa as well). Taurean started at Center, and the other team's front line had 2 fairly athletic big guys that were listed at 6'7. Taurean was definitely taller than each of them as well as each of his tallest teammates (a nice looking PF heading to Northwestern who was a bruiser, listed at 6'8, and a fairly athletic 6'9 center who came off the bench who is going to Lehigh oddly enough). He isn't Jahlil Okafor by any means, but he has a good frame and has definitely put in work to be in great shape. He looked like he's probably 6'10 220 lbs and will add good weight naturally.

As for his play, I was worried that he wouldn't see the court much after his team scored the first 18 pts of the game. While it was never close, his coach seemed to want to get his players "game reps", and Taurean likely played about 2/3rds of the game. (as I can't find a box score, and I'm not as efficient as Tee in tracking stats (I did have my 8, 6, and 4 years olds accompanying me), I'll try to describe his game. Best guess, he had 12 pt 9 rebs and 1 or 2 blocks. He also made a nice steal on the first defensive possession of the game and looked like he was going to start the break but the first dribble went off another players heel and went out of bounds.

I was impressed with him in warm ups (big deal right). He didn't spend the whole time dunking in lay up lines. He displayed an above average handle for a big guy. He would often drive to the elbow and then work on a step back jumper which he made fairly regularly. Towards the end, he splashed a couple threes from 2-3 feet behind the high school line. I think I saw him launch 3, and the one that missed wasn't bad. He has a very fluid jump shot with good elevation and a nice release as seen previously in his highlight videos. I don't remember him taking any jumpers during the game unfortunately.

Taurean's team didn't run plays specifically for him, but they played good team ball as a whole. They have a nice combination of starters (I was most impressed with their SG, C.J. Keyser, who is going to Wichita St. and is an excellent athlete, really quick for 6'3 and threw down a ridiculous windmill on a breakaway in the 2nd half). Taurean was often utilized in the high post, and seemed to be comfortable with the ball in his hands and setting effective screens. While he had the physical talent (good athlete), to dominate his defenders on the block, he only occasionally would get aggressive in posting up, and then the ball wasn't thrown his way often enough. He scored a couple baskets on simple post moves in which he finished an "And-1" with a right handed layup, and another with a 2 handed dunk. He also had another nice play in which he drove on his defender from the top of the key and slammed it.

He's definitely a ready made rebounder, but while he may have blocked a shot or two, there were several other plays where I felt he was in good position to deter a smaller player's drive (as a help defender) in which he didn't even go up. I read that he grabbed 16 rebounds in their opening game, and he was definitely the best rebounder on the floor, maybe grabbing in the 8-10 range in this game.

In summary, I think that he reminds me a lot of a young Rakeem Christmas. He doesn't display the motor, at this time, of a Tyler Lydon (whom I was also fortunate to get to watch while prepping in NH last year, and Kaleb Joseph the year before). He has a college ready jump shot that may extend to the 3 point line, not sure that the coaching staff will give the green light, but he would be one of our better shooting centers in recent memory. He definitely has the tools to grow into an effective 5 in our system (don't think he would play the wing on defense, but stranger things have happened). I would guess that he'd benefit from being phased in behind Chukwu and Obokoh for a year or two, and hopefully in that time would grow a more effective low post arsenal. As some have speculated, I hope it is just a matter of getting a scholarship back that is holding up his commitment.

I didn't realize at the time, but it looks like Redemption Academy was the opponent for Matt Moyer and his South Kent team a couple nights before (Moyer scored 23 pts in 18 mins). Not really suprised that an athletic 6'8 forward would own these guys, but still nice to see Matthew doing work:)

NH, much thanks for the fantastic write up! And about the stats, I understand completely. One of the times I saw Mali, took my boy (probably 6 at the time) and I knew my stats would suffer. ;) But I'll never forget what happened. TCA lost the lead they had the whole game (a tournament at Roselle Catholic of all places). Malachi got them back in it with a fg then hit a buzzer beater floater in the lane to win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom