Taurean Thompson | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

Can we enjoy what we have now? I like this team. Maybe we can make improvements throughout THIS season and beat good teams in March. I know we will have talent next year, but Gbinije and Cooney are the type of college guards that can take a team a long way this year.

I know that this kid has indicated that he's waiting until spring to decide, but I'm really surprised that he hasn't pulled the trigger in light of us getting a scholarship back / open for him. We need to add another big, but at least our eggs aren't all in one basket if he opts to head elsewhere.

RF2044 said:
I know that this kid has indicated that he's waiting until spring to decide, but I'm really surprised that he hasn't pulled the trigger in light of us getting a scholarship back / open for him. We need to add another big, but at least our eggs aren't all in one basket if he opts to head elsewhere.

Who's in the other basket?

I've seen Thompson. He'd give us nice depth at the 4 and 5.

Perhaps he's waiting to see what Coleman does in the spring.

Who's in the other basket?

I've seen Thompson. He'd give us nice depth at the 4 and 5.

Perhaps he's waiting to see what Coleman does in the spring.

I meant that we have plenty of time to recruit other prospects, this isn't the 11th hour where suddenly we're screwed if the kid picks another school.

RF2044 said:
I meant that we have plenty of time to recruit other prospects, this isn't the 11th hour where suddenly we're screwed if the kid picks another school.

Oh.

Thought there was someone out there I wasn't aware of.

I hope the staff is prepared to bring in 2-3 players in the event Joseph transfers and Coleman decides he's had enough. Just not sure what he's thinking with Chukwu in the fold next year.

I think he's the only big in the top 100 we are involved in that remains unsigned. Maybe we get involved with Okonoboh if we can't get him?

Cusefan0307 said:
I think he's the only big in the top 100 we are involved in that remains unsigned. Maybe we get involved with Okonoboh if we can't get him?

Yeah, slim pickings right now.

We could really use Thompson.

I think he's enjoying the attention.

I can understand why he would wait. If everyone comes back, we will have a logjam in the frontcourt.

Lydon/Roberson/Chukwu/Moyer/Coleman would all be ahead of him in the pecking order next year.
I still think we need another big. Chukwu and Coleman are centers. They're not moving too far from the rim. And 2 centers isn't exactly an embarrassment of riches. I think Chino's back to give us a 3'd guy in the middle.

As I understand, Thompson's 6'9-10. So he's probably looking to backup PF to play on the other side of the rim from center. Yes TR plays here also, but it'd be good to have an alternative to him. Because (without G) Lydon's probably going to play the 3, backed up by Moyer (who seems to be in the Billy Owens mold).

I've been posting about the front court puzzle for a while now ... very intriguing, especially the 3/4. Lydon there gives us a second big forward, who can shoot from the outside and drive. My assumption has been that Moyer (6.8 and probably NRFPT) would back Lydon up at SF, although I don't know his game as well as others. I've pegged him as a SF/CJ fair type of player, which would be consistent with size. Whereas , Thompson would be a 4. backing up TR.

I still think we need another big. Chukwu and Coleman are centers. They're not moving too far from the rim. And 2 centers isn't exactly an embarrassment of riches. I think Chino's back to give us a 3'd guy in the middle.

As I understand, Thompson's 6'9-10. So he's probably looking to backup PF to play on the other side of the rim from center. Yes TR plays here also, but it'd be good to have an alternative to him. Because (without G) Lydon's probably going to play the 3, backed up by Moyer (who seems to be in the Billy Owens mold).

I've been posting about the front court puzzle for a while now ... very intriguing, especially the 3/4. Lydon there gives us a second big forward, who can shoot from the outside and drive. My assumption has been that Moyer (6.8 and probably NRFPT) would back Lydon up at SF, although I don't know his game as well as others. I've pegged him as a SF/CJ fair type of player, which would be consistent with size. Whereas , Thompson would be a 4. backing up TR.

Some people say Moyer starts over some people next year.

Theres is just no time for another added person frontcourt person next year. They would be developing. It would be like when Cooney redshirted.

MCW barely saw the court. Triche/Dion/Scoop took all the minutes.

We can play 5 frontcourt players next year. We won't play 6.

That player will be on the roster for the following year. If Thompson wants to play next year, it makes sense for him not to come if nobody leaves.

We still are in the mix for bigs in 17 in a worst case scenario when we will have room to add guys and you can guarantee Roberson and Coleman won't be here.

Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out, there are posters (whose opinions I respect) that are saying Moyer is a 100% lock to start.

Some people say Moyer starts over some people next year.

Theres is just no time for another added person frontcourt person next year. They would be developing. It would be like when Cooney redshirted.

MCW barely saw the court. Triche/Dion/Scoop took all the minutes.

We can play 5 frontcourt players next year. We won't play 6.

That player will be on the roster for the following year. If Thompson wants to play next year, it makes sense for him not to come if nobody leaves.

We still are in the mix for bigs in 17 in a worst case scenario when we will have room to add guys and you can guarantee Roberson and Coleman won't be here.
What's wrong with 6, a starter and backup for each position? i don't have a crystal ball, but since G's gone, the two best candidates I can see at SF are Lydon and Moyer. I see no conflict there with Thompson, who's an inside guy.

So at the 4, you'll have a senior (TR) with a frosh, Thompson, backing up. Again, standard practice.

Center is what it is. So I certainly respect your opinion, but I don't see a front court logjam with 6 guys.

I'm under the impression that Moyer and Lydon will be on the court together next year, not in place of one another.

If someone does sign with us, they are signing to be the tenth guy on the depth chart.

If you are Thompson, why sign to be the tenth guy, if you can be the sixth somewhere else.

I'm under the impression that Moyer and Lydon will be on the court together next year, not in place of one another.

If someone does sign with us, they are signing to be the tenth guy on the depth chart.

If you are Thompson, why sign to be the tenth guy, if you can be the sixth somewhere else.

Because maybe you're first string the following year.

Cusefan0307 said:
I'm under the impression that Moyer and Lydon will be on the court together next year, not in place of one another. If someone does sign with us, they are signing to be the tenth guy on the depth chart. If you are Thompson, why sign to be the tenth guy, if you can be the sixth somewhere else.

Well, it might be only temporary.

Roberson is a senior next year and Lydon may only stick around one more year. If he decided to redshirt, he'd have four years the following year.

I'm just not sure we see Coleman again next year. If so, Thompson gets quality minutes as Chukwu's backup.

Does moyer have a jump shot to play the 3? I always thought from what I've read is that he needed to work on his jumper...I thought thompson would be necessary for the 5 because coleman probably won't be back and Chino is allergic to basketballs

WalkON said:
Does moyer have a jump shot to play the 3? I always thought from what I've read is that he needed to work on his jumper...I thought thompson would be necessary for the 5 because coleman probably won't be back and Chino is allergic to basketballs

Moyer has an average jump shot. Needs some work. But he scores in a variety of ways. He's definitely more of a 3 than a 4.

That could happen ... if Lydon moves over to the 4 and Moyer comes in at the 3. That's the nice thing about Lydon: SF; Stretch 4; or even C (in a pinch). I just don't think Moyer will be in the starting rotation, with two bigger/more experienced guys in front of him. TR's a favorite to start at PF with his rebounding skills, with Thompson backing up if he signs (the year after, he takes over the spot). And at the 3, Lydon's very talented and he'll have experience so .. also unlikely Moyer takes his spot.

But I need to see Moyer play and learn more about his game before this situation clarifies itself.

reedny said:
That could happen ... if Lydon moves over to the 4 and Moyer comes in at the 3. That's the nice thing about Lydon: SF; Stretch 4; or even C (in a pinch). I just don't think Moyer will be in the starting rotation, with two bigger/more experienced guys in front of him. TR's a favorite to start at PF with his rebounding skills, with Thompson backing up if he signs (the year after, he takes over the spot). And at the 3, Lydon's very talented and he'll have experience so .. also unlikely Moyer takes his spot. But I need to see Moyer play and learn more about his game before this situation clarifies itself.

I've seen Moyer play recently. He's s lot more talented offensively than Roberson and more suited to play the 3 defensively than Malachi. He isn't going to wow you with his jumper or 3 point shot, but he'll make them now and then. He's smart and creative and finds a way to score in many ways.

I still say that Roberson starts but that Moyer takes away his minutes if he's not productive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom