TCU hobbled by injuries is holding open try outs | Syracusefan.com

TCU hobbled by injuries is holding open try outs

KellySyracuse

Living Legend
Can't say I've ever heard of a program so decimated by injuries where they have open tryouts. Very odd indeed. The SU women played in 2021 with about 9 people on the team and managed to make it through the season. I think there might be more to the story here.

Rash of injuries forces TCU women’s basketball to hold open tryouts

"Citing a rash of injuries that have left it unusually shorthanded, the TCU women’s basketball announced Wednesday it was canceling two upcoming games, including one set for that evening against N0. 7 Kansas State.

The Horned Frogs, who started the season 14-0 and cracked the Associated Press Top 25 before losing four straight, also put out an open call Wednesday for full-time students interested in trying out for walk-on status with the team for the rest of the season.

The school said the cancellations “are a result of injuries within the TCU program and ensure the health and safety of the program’s student-athletes.”

Well that's the first article I have read that specified they were down to 6. The article I read didn't really say for sure, but it seemed like they still had 10 available and I was wondering what the big deal was.

Screenshot_3.jpg

Why would you cancel and not just look for kids around the school to complete what few games are left? The kids still on the team deserve a shot to finish off the season.

Why would you cancel and not just look for kids around the school to complete what few games are left? The kids still on the team deserve a shot to finish off the season.

Davidson is small with a student body around 2000. TCU has 10000 more undergraduates, I’d venture to guess that there’s a greater likelihood of finding a couple serviceable walk ons in a much bigger pool to draw from