Class of 2015 - TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI

Oddly enough, I was a Jets fan, Mavs fan, Yankees fan(solid front runner here) I played golf 3 times, and got into tennis late in Agassi's career.

You loved agassis hair. No shame in that

I was responding to a post by WFSchrec in which he was implying that even though Wisco can say that Pickard can be the next JJ Watt, we could tell Pickard he could be the next Art, Chandler, or Freeney. If you don't think race has any factor in how athletes are compared to each other and how kids emulate their games, then you're just being naive.

And just as a pet peeve, why do you end your sentence with IMO? Clearly it's your opinion, you're the one typing it.
I don't think race has any factor in how kids emulate games. Kids might identify with someone that had the same hardships and upbringing or someone from the area but I don't think race has anything to do with it. I emulated Mo Vaughn and Pedro as a 7 year old little leaguer from MA.

Playing pick-up and intramural basketball in college, I would always here the people on the side of the court call out Hornacek. Probably because I could shoot and was white (still am). Then one day, I ran down a guy and blocked his layup, way over the rim. I then chased down the ball and hit a pull up jumper. I heard "Jordan". That was one of the proudest moments I had in basketball. The people were watching were mostly African Americans.

spo023 said:
Just because I'm curious, I'd love to hear your take on this matter? Do you think race has any impact on self-identification, comparison to other athletes and on perception of athleticism and skill? And therefore wouldn't it be easier for Pickard to see himself as the next JJ Watt and not the next Dwight Freeney?

I don't presume to know what's in his head and I sure don't make assumptions based on race.

This was a tough one. Really tough. Not sure what happened, we thought we had it wrapped up after his visit, and even up until yesterday.

Plus didn't he only give the Wisconsin visit an 8.5?

This one hurts.

Sometimes you do everything right and it doesn't work out. Nothing to be ashamed of. I said I figured he was going to Wisconsin pages back so I'm not terribly shocked. I wish him the best at UW, I always like to see northeastern recruits do well, especially at schools I have no ill-will towards. On to the next one.

Jake from state farm in the White Kackis didn't get his job promotion here...

Another recruit who was chasing the supposed glitz and glamour in the Big cluster. No other way to put it when a kid jumps on the bandwagon after a very short courting process.....see ya

This was a tough one. Really tough. Not sure what happened, we thought we had it wrapped up after his visit, and even up until yesterday.

Plus didn't he only give the Wisconsin visit an 8.5?

This one hurts.

Or it's possible dare I say it, he lied to the media about how great the visit was because he didn't want the cat out of the bag yet. I think it's safe to say he enjoyed his Wisconsin visit more than he did ours.

Staff did a good job here. Keep grinding it will payoff. Kid never would've considered us a year or two ago.
Completely agree with this. If SU can win a few more more games this year and continue to improve facilties they will easily close on this type of kid in the future. I'm sure there's still plenty of negative recruiting going on regarding program and it may put that little bit of doubt in a kids head. It really seems like this staff gets it time will tell I guess.

Next man up.
letely

Jake from state farm in the White Kackis didn't get his job promotion here...

Another recruit who was chasing the supposed glitz and glamour in the Big cluster. No other way to put it when a kid jumps on the bandwagon after a very short courting process...see ya

feels a lot like the kid who went to Tennessee a year ago and then transferred. Although Jake never committed to us. The glitz of a big school got them. Too bad.

feels a lot like the kid who went to Tennessee a year ago and then transferred. Although Jake never committed to us. The glitz of a big school got them. Too bad.

Does Wisconsin really count as glitz?

I think this was a lot different. At least Wisconsin is a outstanding academic school.

Does Wisconsin really count as glitz?

I think this was a lot different. At least Wisconsin is a outstanding academic school.

80,000+ rabid fans at every home game is pretty cool, good academics, great college town, way more recent wins. There are many reasons to choose Wisky over Cuse right now unfortunately. If we continue on our upward trajectory things can/will change. I'd have to think it's also easier for them to win their division and make their CCG then it is for Cuse. I have no ill will for Wisconsin, and actually like their new staff with HC Anderson, and DC Aranda. They also built that program on 3 stars/underrecruited guys, and are located in a frozen tundra in the winter. Similar profile to Cuse other than State vs. Private.

80,000+ rabid fans at every home game is pretty cool, good academics, great college town, way more recent wins. There are many reasons to choose Wisky over Cuse right now unfortunately. If we continue on our upward trajectory things can/will change. I'd have to think it's also easier for them to win their division and make their CCG then it is for Cuse. I have no ill will for Wisconsin, and actually like their new staff with HC Anderson, and DC Aranda. They also built that program on 3 stars/underrecruited guys, and are located in a frozen tundra in the winter. Similar profile to Cuse other than State vs. Private.

For sure - their schedule this season is awful.

orange_in_VA said:

Totally agree with all of that. But the last sentence is why I don't think qualify as a "glitz" program. They built their roster on mainly 3 stars with some 4 stars sprinkled in.

To me, Wisconsin would be a good model. Pick up those solid kids and get a good staff and system in place. I know we won't get the atmosphere they get in Camp Randall, but it's why it is so important to go all out for a full Dome...instead of begging tv hosts to lip-sync battle our mascot.

I wish him well and can't blame him for his decision, though I really wanted him here of course. UW-Madison is a great school in general and for the type of player he is.

He should develop nicely but I thought his outlook was better at TE. Who knows what happens, best of luck Jake.