Class of 2015 - TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI

I wish him well and can't blame him for his decision, though I really wanted him here of course. UW-Madison is a great school in general and for the type of player he is.

He should develop nicely but I thought his outlook was better at TE. Who knows what happens, best of luck Jake.
We were recruiting him as a DE as well, not sure your point.

We were recruiting him as a DE as well, not sure your point.

I know that. All I was saying is that in my armchair opinion I think he has the potential to be better at the TE spot. Had nothing to do with Syracuse versus Wisconsin or what position he was being recruited at by either school. I see things haven't changed on the board.

This is an example of facilities/atmosphere blowing a kid away. Wisconsin > Syracuse.

We have a great class going so far, no need to panic. We missed out on a great player, but were after other really good ones.

So if Ellison commits next week who else are we targeting/expecting commits from

So if Ellison commits next week who else are we targeting/expecting commits from

and Milan

At least Sheppard is still a legit option after missing out on Pickard. Pretty sure if we got Pickard then Sheppard would have been pushed aside to the Alex Parkinson category. Tough blow especially since we thought we had him up until the phone call. This was a real close one, and I have a feeling Pickard could be special.

Not getting Jake sucks for sure. Still waiting on DCCuse's update. Really interested to know his inside info on how it might have played out for Jake. Was just really confident we were gonna get this kid.

Not getting Jake sucks for sure. Still waiting on DCCuse's update. Really interested to know his inside info on how it might have played out for Jake. Was just really confident we were gonna get this kid.

Everyone was confident. Academics were always huge for Jake. He wants to major in business, and Wisconsin's business school is top 15. Plus as Rocco said above, facilities, and game day atmosphere was too much to overcome.

Everyone was confident. Academics were always huge for Jake. He wants to major in business, and Wisconsin's business school is top 15. Plus as Rocco said above, facilities, and game day atmosphere was too much to overcome.

Ano so what's the answer to someday getting a kid like this? I'm seriously just asking your opinion.

Ano so what's the answer to someday getting a kid like this? I'm seriously just asking your opinion.
If it's a kid who really, truly values the academic side of things, and the other school is a national power in that field, you don't get him. And that is fine with me.

With the exception of a Criminal Justice major.

IMO

Wins mainly. But like 8-10 wins/year over a period of time. Also getting back to where the Dome has 45k+ , and the program has a strong following.

Wisconsin is an interesting case because they are a tough school to beat. They have excellent academics (better then Cuse), much better facilities, much better fan support/gameday experience, and not to mention much better recent success. Looking at all that it's almost a surprise that this was so close. It should show us just how great a job Bobby Acosta, and the staff (including wives) did with Pickard. I think we had coaches relationships, and location going for us, but it just wasn't enough.

Right now I would say our strengths are coaches, and the relationships they build. We have a young, energetic staff that kids can easily relate too. In a lot of cases we can offer an equal or better education. Our facilities are on par with the rest of the ACC, and are respectable, but in no way are they on the upper end. Most of the Big10, SEC, B12 have much better facilities. Our fan support, and game day atmosphere really hurt us right now. Luckily that is something that can improve if we can start piling up more wins. Once we start doing that consistently, over a period of time, we won't have any areas that can hurt us.

He is going to the Cuse-Notre Dame game tomorrow. Is it because we are still recruiting him and he still has interest in us or is it just because he lives nearby and it's a good game to go to?

He is going to the Cuse-Notre Dame game tomorrow. Is it because we are still recruiting him and he still has interest in us or is it just because he lives nearby and it's a good game to go to?

We are still recruiting him, but it will be super hard to flip him. A win wouldn't hurt. :)

We won't stop recruiting him until signing day, but it would take a major upheaval at Wisconsin for him to flip.

We won't stop recruiting him until signing day, but it would take a major upheaval at Wisconsin for him to flip.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but much like Bam has told us about Shy once Pickard made his commitment the only chance he flips is if Wisconsins coach is fired/moves on from his job.

Obviously just because that's what said we won't stop trying to flip him, but you gotta believe are chances are almost 0.

He can't be going. Neither are any other recruits because these Met Life games have nothing to do with recruiting. :bat:

The problem is that these games don't allow the staff to be able to actually talk with recruits on site. But the idea that the it does nothing for recruiting is ridiculous, kids get a chance to play in a pro stadium, how many other teams across the country can boast they play at least one game a year in a pro stadium?

The problem is that these games don't allow the staff to be able to actually talk with recruits on site. But the idea that the it does nothing for recruiting is ridiculous, kids get a chance to play in a pro stadium, how many other teams across the country can boast they play at least one game a year in a pro stadium?

Agreed. Not being able to talk to them stinks. Hopefully many of them will want to make the trip up to the SU campus as well.

SUFaninNJ said:
Agreed. Not being able to talk to them stinks. Hopefully many of them will want to make the trip up to the SU campus as well.

Weirdly they can through social media.

public pee troughs.....that's what good ole saint nick would have done.

public pee troughs...that's what good ole saint nick would have done.
That's true I suppose we could have Eric White chilling in the bathroom closest to the recruits sections and follow them in to share a "crossing streams" moment