Class of 2015 - TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown

He took Parkinson's spot, and he'll be a WR/TE hybrid.
Occam's Razor. The staff thought he and Parkinson were more or less the same guy. They waited for Parkinson because he's a NY kid and they preferred him for that reason. When their own internal timer went off, they took Lindor. Not brain-bending stuff here.

Welcome aboard!

As it has been said many times, as well as by a few on this thread, I will take the evaluations of this staff over any fans' evaluation of "the tape."

I feel like Cohen has hijacked a bunch of users' accounts on this thread.

The staff is getting the athletes they want committed early. When many of these players blow up their senior year, we will be praising this staff for being on them early. And in regard to your "others are not on them, so I'm right" line of reasoning, please refer to the Jones brothers, mr Bromley, Nassib, etc. Football recruiting is an inexact science, it is not like hoops, where you have years of all star club teams to better evaluate talent. In football, you need to anticipate how they will mature physically, and compare them against widely varied competition.

Without reservation, I trust our evaluators. Welcome to the northeast West!
I see what direction you're going there.

I'm dying to see what the" experts"on this board will say come February. There's no doubt that this kid is bright, driven and an excellent athlete. I will take a kid like this every day. Maybe the staff is tired of dealing with kids like Broyld who are 5 star type athletes but can't seem to grasp what to do once they get on the field. Understanding the offense is more than half the battle. I think some here are not understanding the value of intellect in being successful at anything. This kid will quickly learn what to do and know where to be on the field. He's not likely to be lazy and he will be driven to succeed I think he turns out to be a very good player

Occam's Razor. The staff thought he and Parkinson were more or less the same guy. They waited for Parkinson because he's a NY kid and they preferred him for that reason. When their own internal timer went off, they took Lindor. Not brain-bending stuff here.

Welcome aboard!

Occam's Razor doesn't explain the internal timer. We're eight months away from signing day! Heck, that was everyone's refrain last year when we went into the Fall with only a handful of recruits! Why the mad scramble now? Okay, you want to move on to the junior class but I see no reason why you can't slow play a bunch of these rising seniors until kids who appear to be higher on their list (just going by date of offer and not rankings) have made their minds up. The only explanation that I can come up with for this rushed process is that staff autistic and incapable of multi-tasking.

Whatever...it's hard to get upset now. The coaching staff will rise and fall with these recruits. It's their call. But the questions raised by some in this and other threads are legitimate ones in my mind. I don't mind the conversation going on in this and other threads one bit. It really seems like we've gone from one extreme in terms of recruiting strategy to another in a few months. I'm having a hard time figuring out the hyper-accelerated timeline.

I do think that it's necessary to start targeting talent earlier and earlier because that's the nationwide recruiting trend but that doesn't mean that you have to fill your class by the beginning of the Fall or that you can't recruit multiple classes at the same time. The "trust the coaches" line is a handy conversation killer but doesn't answer the questions some posters are asking. Passing up talent because they don't adhere to your timetable seems a bit shortsighted, if the explanation for this kid's commitment that the "experts" are giving us is accurate. But we've had so many people on these boards make false claims about the thought process of coaches and kids over the years that I try not to take any one person's take too seriously.

Okay, you want to move on to the junior class but I see no reason why you can't slow play a bunch of these rising seniors until kids who appear to be higher on their list (just going by date of offer and not rankings) have made their minds up.

They are slow-playing several kids and will wait it out until the end to see if they can land them. This staff is light years ahead in terms of recruiting than our last 15 staffs. The next step is winning some of these other recruiting battles to finish out the 2015 class, win games on the field and get a big jumpstart to 2016.

Lindor was not a consolation prize, either.

Huh? No one is saying you can't. Just try to remember that there's an actual human being attached to the scholarship. Today is a big day for a high school junior making a huge life choice.

Our coaches believe in him and you don't believe in the coaches - we get that you've been crystal clear about that for months.

Totally agree, no need to give the kid the McNabb-Eagles treatment.

And you know this how? The cycle time on recruiting has sped up dramatically, and we have lost out on recruits this year.

For those of us that follow recruiting closely, we know that the staff has been heavily recruiting Alex Parkinson for months for the Y role. To have a commit spring up for that role more or less out of the blue, it does beg questions and there's nothing wrong with that. I found it puzzling because I really thought we were waiting on Parkinson and I'm entitled to my opinion. That's no slight on West Lindor.
I know this because it is July 10th. There are no plan B's on July 10th. Recruiting hasn't sped up near that much.

Welcome aboard!
This makes sense to me. Was impressed by Lindor's film, as I was by Parkinson's. They both are good students with offers from excellent schools, both have excellent size, run well, have good hands and the ability to make catches when well covered (which is a big deal to the staff after seeing how will ACC schools execute press coverage).

They needed a TE/Y hybrid. One player wanted in badly, one did not. I know the staff wants players who want to be at Syracuse, who are excited about the prospect of playing here. It can't hurt that we are actively recruiting another player from Lindor's HS either. I liked Parkinson's tape slightly more looking at him as a receiver but Lindor looks like he might be a better blocker. He looked solid there in the limited film available.

I am sure Parkinson was told it was time to make a decision or a decision would be made for him. He chose to wait. Good luck to him...I bet he gets and accepts an offer from UConn, Rutgers or Temple. I hope he does well there.

As will Lindor at Syracuse.

Last edited:
This makes sense to me. Was impressed by Lindor's film, as I was by Parkinson's. They both are good students with offers from excellent schools, both have excellent size, run well, have good hands and the ability to make catches when well covered (which is a big deal to the staff after seeing how will ACC schools execute press coverage).

They needed a TE/Y hybrid. One player wanted in badly, one did not. I know the staff wants players who want to be at Syracuse, who are excited about the prospect of playing here. It can't hurt that we are actively recruiting another player from Lindor's HS either.

I am sure Parkinson was told it was time to make a decision or a decision would be made for him. He chose to wait. Good luck to him...I bet he gets and accepts an offer from UConn, Rutgers or Temple. I hope he does well there.

As always, the voice of reason. You don't post enough

Brains only take you so far. It’s not like Harvard can compete in the ACC. We need to recruit to compete in the ACC, not the Mac or the Ivy. He looks tall, but he's slow. Looks better on defense. I just don't get why we wouldn't wait for Parkinson? Our competition for Lindor is Arkansas STATE, not Arkansas. Some sort of timer thing is stupid at this stage.

I think the Battle kid was a better option but if they deem Lindor to be a high value target then that's fine but it doesn't mean it can't be debated.

I must also say I hope the pressuring tactic and spots 'filling up' doesn't backfire. Kids committing to 'save' a spot isn't exactly reassuring that they'll stay committed. Especially coming from kids who don't have any other options.

Well lets hope he doesn't end up at Pitt.

I know this because it is July 10th. There are no plan B's on July 10th. Recruiting hasn't sped up near that much.

Dont' kid yourself. There is a pecking order. If - i stress IF - Parkinson was told to make a decision or we're moving on to the next kid then there's a pecking order.

Make a decision or we're moving on to the next kid is a theme this year because recruits have been quoted saying as much. We'll see how that tactic plays out. It's easy to do to kids who's options are Samford and Dartmouth but doesn't work so well on kids with P5 offers, and clearly our strategy this year is to take the bird in hand and not battle for kids choosing to go through the process.

As it has been said many times, as well as by a few on this thread, I will take the evaluations of this staff over any fans' evaluation of "the tape."

I feel like Cohen has hijacked a bunch of users' accounts on this thread.

The staff is getting the athletes they want committed early. When many of these players blow up their senior year, we will be praising this staff for being on them early. And in regard to your "others are not on them, so I'm right" line of reasoning, please refer to the Jones brothers, mr Bromley, Nassib, etc. Football recruiting is an inexact science, it is not like hoops, where you have years of all star club teams to better evaluate talent. In football, you need to anticipate how they will mature physically, and compare them against widely varied competition.

Without reservation, I trust our evaluators. Welcome to the northeast West!
Cohen.png

You called?!

Brains only take you so far. It’s not like Harvard can compete in the ACC. We need to recruit to compete in the ACC, not the Mac or the Ivy. He looks tall, but he's slow. Looks better on defense. I just don't get why we wouldn't wait for Parkinson? Our competition for Lindor is Arkansas STATE, not Arkansas. Some sort of timer thing is stupid at this stage.

I think the Battle kid was a better option but if they deem Lindor to be a high value target then that's fine but it doesn't mean it can't be debated.

I must also say I hope the pressuring tactic and spots 'filling up' doesn't backfire. Kids committing to 'save' a spot isn't exactly reassuring that they'll stay committed. Especially coming from kids who don't have any other options.
OK Phat there's no way that this kid looks slow. You're just way off on this one and you will eventually eat your words He looks faster than Parkinson to me in his video. Also there's no way the staff is going to offer a slow kid. Some of you guys make no sense at all. His coach says he ran a 4.5 BTW for that's worth

I guess we can assume by the experts on this board that the staff is intentionally recruiting lesser players. I've got news for you they know what they are doing. Just because they do their own evealuations and don't pay attention to the recruiting services and how many offers a kid has doesn't make them incompetent We will see how this turns out in 6 years when his career is complete. I think their will be some eating crow. I also predict he gets more BCS offers

Dont' kid yourself. There is a pecking order. If - i stress IF - Parkinson was told to make a decision or we're moving on to the next kid then there's a pecking order.

Make a decision or we're moving on to the next kid is a theme this year because recruits have been quoted saying as much. We'll see how that tactic plays out. It's easy to do to kids who's options are Samford and Dartmouth but doesn't work so well on kids with P5 offers, and clearly our strategy this year is to take the bird in hand and not battle for kids choosing to go through the process.
I think you haven't got a clue when it comes to evaluating this kid, and you are being an ass when you question the kid's ability so strongly on the day he commits to SU.

Occam's Razor doesn't explain the internal timer. We're eight months away from signing day! Heck, that was everyone's refrain last year when we went into the Fall with only a handful of recruits! Why the mad scramble now? Okay, you want to move on to the junior class but I see no reason why you can't slow play a bunch of these rising seniors until kids who appear to be higher on their list (just going by date of offer and not rankings) have made their minds up. The only explanation that I can come up with for this rushed process is that staff autistic and incapable of multi-tasking.

Whatever...it's hard to get upset now. The coaching staff will rise and fall with these recruits. It's their call. But the questions raised by some in this and other threads are legitimate ones in my mind. I don't mind the conversation going on in this and other threads one bit. It really seems like we've gone from one extreme in terms of recruiting strategy to another in a few months. I'm having a hard time figuring out the hyper-accelerated timeline.

I do think that it's necessary to start targeting talent earlier and earlier because that's the nationwide recruiting trend but that doesn't mean that you have to fill your class by the beginning of the Fall or that you can't recruit multiple classes at the same time. The "trust the coaches" line is a handy conversation killer but doesn't answer the questions some posters are asking. Passing up talent because they don't adhere to your timetable seems a bit shortsighted, if the explanation for this kid's commitment that the "experts" are giving us is accurate. But we've had so many people on these boards make false claims about the thought process of coaches and kids over the years that I try not to take any one person's take too seriously.

Would you please explain what has given you the impression that the staff is "autistic"? I'd be very interested in your explanation.

really don't understand this one? parkinson had us as the favorite what's the big deal waiting another few weeks?
Color me Orange but i like this kid as much if not more. By the time he is a RS Junior he is going to be 6-5/6 and 235-240 pounds with good speed. He plays Bball at a pretty high level according to his coach has big and great hands and looking at this Frame he is going to continue to grow. I say great pick up and predict that he contributes in a big way in a few years.

I think you haven't got a clue when it comes to evaluating this kid, and you are being an ass when you question the kid's ability so strongly on the day he commits to SU.

maybe i don't have a clue and i'm sorry i don't step in line sometimes, but I didn't question his ability, I questioned his speed.

some of you guys act like this staff is incapable of making a mistake. we were 7-6 last year.

There are a lot of kids in the United States of America that play football. There are also a lot of football coaches who don't have a clue what they're doing - should any Syracuse fan be reminded of this? Who cares who has offered - and for the record, Harvard gets kids that are wanted by P5 schools. I know this as fact.

Until I see the product on the field with the kids they are bringing in diminish, I'm not batting an eyelash about taking a couple of kids who are under recruited and have a chip on their shoulder.

How many 4 and 5-star recruits has SU had that have done absolutely nothing in Orange? I'd say more often than not they have not lived up to their billing since the late 90s.

Johnnie Morant didn't do anything until his senior year, Lavar Lobdell, Dulayne Morgan, Freeney from Georgia, Collier from Rochester, other DE from Syracuse area that the name escapes me, all were four or five star caliber and all underachieved.

PhatOrange said:
maybe i don't have a clue and i'm sorry i don't step in line sometimes, but I didn't question his ability, I questioned his speed. some of you guys act like this staff is incapable of making a mistake. we were 7-6 last year.

This is silly. Here's how I think about it: 1. No one knows how a kid will pan out. 2. We are still at a fairly early stage for this staff - we don't have enough info to make definitive statements either way. 3. I'm not a skout or a d1 coach or a high school coach; my opinions after watching tape should take that into account (why I don't comment on tapes generally) That's all juxtaposed against the past season, on the field where it's easier to discern a bad decision from a good one. This board calls it like it is about poor decisions on the field after the fact. So of course they make mistakes - and there will probably be some in recruiting - but actually identifying them today? Near impossible. So I choose to be optimistic.

Just watched both tapes to see what all the fuss is about... Now I'm no expert but...

Lindor doesn't run "pretty" but seems to have the same speed as Parkinson if not faster straight line. Most of West's catches highlighted were "high point" catches over a defender, impressive stuff. Catches with his hands, hits like a truck on defense. Don't see much "wiggle" in his game but do you really need wiggle from a tight end?

Tapes look similar to me and if I had to pick I'd probably take Lindor cuz he has a bigger frame, seems taller, and longer.

What's the big deal? :noidea: