Temple got jobbed | Syracusefan.com

Temple got jobbed

hplare

Skilled observer of photographs
I find it strange that there hasn't been any mention of the non-calls in yesterdays game. I think we all agree that Pitt and Louisville are big offenders in hand checking and grabbing, but Indiana took it to a new level yesterday. I'm sure they call it a smothering defense, but an out and out mugging would be more descriptive. At the end of the game they were literally holding players away from the ball, while the one guarding the one with ball was jabbing, bumping and fouling the hell out of him. I used to think BE teams suffered in the tournament when the calls became tighter. That definitely isn't true anymore. There's absolutely no uniformity in what's allowed and what isn't. The NBA style of play has obviously been an influence in recent years, but I think certain college teams are really pushing the envelope. I hate to say this, and seriously hope I'm wrong, but if Thursday's refs allow what went on yesterday, we'll be in for a long night of cursing and screaming at our TVs

oladipo was mugging wyatt away from the ball, especially late in the game to deny him the ball. it was unbelievable they didnt call 1 foul on him.

plus that ball that sheehey lost control of that went out of bounds, that was a HUGE call. think indiana was down 4 at the time and it was at the under 4 minute tv timeout. indiana gets the favorable call and score on that possession to cut it to 2, just an enormous call.

having said all that, temple still should have won if they could have made any number of wide open shots.

I find it strange that there hasn't been any mention of the non-calls in yesterdays game. I think we all agree that Pitt and Louisville are big offenders in hand checking and grabbing, but Indiana took it to a new level yesterday. I'm sure they call it a smothering defense, but an out and out mugging would be more descriptive. At the end of the game they were literally holding players away from the ball, while the one guarding the one with ball was jabbing, bumping and fouling the hell out of him. I used to think BE teams suffered in the tournament when the calls became tighter. That definitely isn't true anymore. There's absolutely no uniformity in what's allowed and what isn't. The NBA style of play has obviously been an influence in recent years, but I think certain college teams are really pushing the envelope. I hate to say this, and seriously hope I'm wrong, but if Thursday's refs allow what went on yesterday, we'll be in for a long night of cursing and screaming at our TVs
You will find it discussed a lot in the game thread yesterday. And while I agree there were a lot of no calls or bad ones, that game's on Temple, they couldn't hit a shot to save their lives, literally.

The abject fouling was rampant over the first two rounds. Some games it wasn't so bad, but in others, it was ridiculous. I'm really tired of the refs allowing players to jump on top of others when a guy goes to floor with the ball. They never call a foul and usually award a held ball.

There was an egregious example in one of the games last night (I think Illinois-Miami) where the guy was on his side with the ball and a defender jumped on him and got him in a headlock in order to get one hand on the ball.

Apparently, the NCAA has abolished loose-ball fouls.:noidea:

... I'm really tired of the refs allowing players to jump on top of others when a guy goes to floor with the ball. They never call a foul and usually award a held ball.
Same here. My two biggest pet peeves in the college game are coaches on the floor during play and no loose ball fouls. At least once or twice against Cal, SU players had the ball on the floor and a Cal player dove on them and either knocked the ball loose or were awarded a held ball.

It's such bullshit. Additionally, over the backs during contested rebounds aren't called anymore either. Grant had Deng nearly knock him out of bounds in the BET Final game. It's a loose basketball, not a football fumble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom