Tenn & VaTech to play at NASCAR track | Syracusefan.com

Tenn & VaTech to play at NASCAR track

BWOmGSWIQAAdOQ3.jpg

Neyland Stadium inside Bristol Motor Speedway.

This will be nutty.

About halfway between Knoxville and Blacksburg. Pretty Genius actually for ticket sales on a neutral site game. Not sure anyone will be able to see the game since there's likely 400 yards of turf on the infield but who worries about such things. And yes Bnoro's post is to scale I couldn't believe it till I looked myself.

BWOmGSWIQAAdOQ3.jpg

Neyland Stadium inside Bristol Motor Speedway.

Is this an optical illusion? Because Bristol holds 160K and Neyland holds 105K - but the size difference seems much more significant than just 50%.

Is this an optical illusion? Because Bristol holds 160K and Neyland holds 105K - but the size difference seems much more significant than just 50%.

Bristol Motor Speedway is 1/2 mile. A 1/4 mile track rings a standard football field. It's the extra 1/4 mile that makes all the difference.

That's the only thing that would make the event interesting.

But wouldn't having the opportunity to be part of the largest crowd in college football history be a major draw - even if you couldn't see the game? Isn't that the rationale people used for moving the court to the middle of the dome for SU vs Duke?

Should be a cool scene. No reason why these two schools shouldn't be playing each other. Border war of two schools that are about 3 hours apart, both have gigundo traveling fan bases. Now they're meeting in the middle. I might try to attend, will be one hell of a party.

VT opened with Bama this year, plays Ohio State in 2014 and 2015. Someone isn't afraid to schedule anymore. I bet it will help them recruit.

They're still aholes though.

Neyland has three decks on top of each other from what I can tell in that picture. If you had those decks laid out one behind the other, the comparison in terms of seating would be closer than it currently looks as it would more closely approximate the lay-out of the bowl in Bristol.

We've christened it the "My cousin/wife is prettier than your cousin/wife" Bowl.

There's probably enough room in that infield for West Virginia to join the game.

Otherwise, VT and UT are just playing for the runner up title.

Hopefully SU will schedule Buffalo in the Home of the Supermodifieds.

SUfaninAZ and Eddie Bellinger like this.

Hopefully SU will schedule Buffalo in the Home of the Supermodifieds.

SUfaninAZ and Eddie Bellinger like this.
Oswego?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

a lot of people seem to be excited about an OOC game at a neutral site.

But wouldn't having the opportunity to be part of the largest crowd in college football history be a major draw - even if you couldn't see the game? Isn't that the rationale people used for moving the court to the middle of the dome for SU vs Duke?

But in SU's case, it already owned the record for largest on-campus hoops crowd of all time. No need to move the court and screw with season ticket holders' seats.

But in SU's case, it already owned the record for largest on-campus hoops crowd of all time. No need to move the court and screw with season ticket holders' seats.

I absolutely agree with what you say. Unfortunately I had no way to add a 'sarcasm flag' to my post.

Oswego?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

You bet. I'm sitting grandstand, finish line, 50 yard line. Rolling my empty cans of Bud heavy down the chute for the collectors. Then walking back to my mom's house and throwing up behind my neighbor's garage. Win or lose.