Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Thank you. Was going to post the same thing. Sorry, but that tweet is nonsense.
I'm not going to say it's complete BS but the Clemson and FSU part don't make complete sense to me. Unless they're doubling down in those states to lock down the markets in the event SC and UF are down or Clemson and FSU are down year to year.

Sure. Why not? The SEC wants to control college football. Only the B10 can push back($$). I'd suspect the B10 doesn't want to relinquish control, and therefore will develop their own super conference. They are the only ones, other than the SEC, that can do it. When that is decided? They will work in lock step with the SEC, for that common purpose.

I'm basing this on pending legislation(7 proposed bills to pay players), and the likely future landscape of college sports. The entire reason for Texas and OU's move, imo.

Clemson, FSU, etc. will move to a football "super conference." Dead weight will be cut, and the top 32 teams, or so will be IN. Not us, I'm afraid. For this argument? If you want to hold out hope for Cuse football, we are #5 in ACC football revenue. (We're still pretty awesome fans)

From a business perspective, I just think it makes sense for an NFC/AFC type model. Any Cuse; WVU, Butgurls rivalry's, can still be maintained at a lower level - with profits. The top teams will just manage a heck of a lot more profit.

I suspect there is a board lawyer out there. My question is: IF the ncaa relinquishes control. IF federal law demands a player share in profits... What happens with the contracts now that the building blocks of those contracts have been completely torn down?

this has been discussed before but if you cut half the big schools out of football you also remove a pretty big chunk of eyes on the sport. how many of the fans stay vested if their local college teams get relegated?

I just want WVU screwed because their internet fanbase tried to screw with the ACC.
Were you one of the people who thought college presidents actually gave any thought to the crap the Dude of WV threw against the wall?

A&M: "But what about the SEC gentleman's agreement"?
SEC: Ahhh, we got rid of that, hell, just to prove it we'll add Clemson and FSU.
USC: What?
Florida: TF?
My first thought the other day was that if they’re fine fing over a&m and adding Texas, why the heck wouldn’t they go after clemson if South Carolina is the collateral damage? None of this feels too out of line to me. NCAA is weak. The rest of the college sports world is at a low (relative) cash position. In business this is where you make a move if you can.

It's almost like Slive, Delaney, and Swofford had a gentlemen's contract.

this has been discussed before but if you cut half the big schools out of football you also remove a pretty big chunk of eyes on the sport. how many of the fans stay vested if their local college teams get relegated?

If the FB schools left to create a super division they would get kicked out of their current conference for all other sports. That is why the 24-32 team thought is just internet banter. If you take into consideration you need the football schools to have a home for BBall and other sports, and the need to cover markets coast to coast at best you can get down to 40 teams, which would include SU BTW. But that means cutting the fat from the B1G and the SEC. If a super league happens it is more likely that the entire B1G comes, the entire SEC comes, and the assets from the ACC, P12, B12 come. That will add at least another 8 schools. So we are looking at about 50 teams with SU making the cut.

Personally I would like to see 4 x 18 happen which provides even more map coverage and BBall has enough to close off the reset of D1.

Clemson has an easy path to the college playoff every year right now and has built itself in to a power house. Would you really leave to enter the gauntlet of the SEC? Not sure I would. Some blue blood is going to be a mediocre .500 club in that league.
Agree. Clemson would be no better than Georgia, LSU, Florida or Auburn in the SEC. All playing second fiddle to Alabama and occasionally playing for the title.

If the FB schools left to create a super division they would get kicked out of their current conference for all other sports. That is why the 24-32 team thought is just internet banter. If you take into consideration you need the football schools to have a home for BBall and other sports, and the need to cover markets coast to coast at best you can get down to 40 teams, which would include SU BTW. But that means cutting the fat from the B1G and the SEC. If a super league happens it is more likely that the entire B1G comes, the entire SEC comes, and the assets from the ACC, P12, B12 come. That will add at least another 8 schools. So we are looking at about 50 teams with SU making the cut.

Personally I would like to see 4 x 18 happen which provides even more map coverage and BBall has enough to close off the reset of D1.
I think the risk for the ACC is 20 team super conferences. Right now, the Big10 could grab 6 ACC schools and the SEC could grab 4 and both get to 20 schools. That would end the ACC and leave out 4 to 5 schools depending on what ND decides to do.

IMO - there definitely comes a day, where the ACC has to tell ND that we supported your independence while you danced around full membership, but it’s time, one way or another.

This type of news only accelerates that.

It's almost like Slive, Delaney, and Swofford had a gentlemen's contract.
They didn’t.
Delaney wanted to destroy the ACC.
Like the SEC is destroying the Big XII.

If their is any gentleman’s agreement it was between the PAC-12 and Big Ten.

I think the risk for the ACC is 20 team super conferences. Right now, the Big10 could grab 6 ACC schools and the SEC could grab 4 and both get to 20 schools. That would end the ACC and leave out 4 to 5 schools depending on what ND decides to do.
The breakdown would be actually pretty simple and I don't think what you mentioned is that far-fetched in all honesty. Big 10 pretty much takes Tobacco Road and ND. SEC takes the 4 southern schools historically strong in football.

Big 10: Duke, UNC, UVA, NC State, Wake, ND
SEC: Clemson, Miami, FSU, VT

The breakdown would be actually pretty simple and I don't think what you mentioned is that far-fetched in all honesty. Big 10 pretty much takes Tobacco Road and ND. SEC takes the 4 southern schools historically strong in football.

Big 10: Duke, UNC, UVA, NC State, Wake, ND
SEC: Clemson, Miami, FSU, VT
This leaves the entire Northeast TV market wide open. In my opinion, Wake and Duke add nothing to the Big 10. They already have interest by taking NC and NC State. They don’t need 4 teams so close together. I’d rather take Cuse and BC to capture the Northeast market. But I’m probably looking through orange colored glasses.

This leaves the entire Northeast TV market wide open. In my opinion, Wake and Duke add nothing to the Big 10. They already have interest by taking NC and NC State. They don’t need 4 teams so close together. I’d rather take Cuse and BC to capture the Northeast market. But I’m probably looking through orange colored glasses.
I could see the Big 10 grab Syracuse, WV and BC. That would give Penn State more regional players. I could also see them add possibly Kansas. While football runs the show, bringing in basketball brands like Syracuse and Kansas would also be deemed a strong play.

Going by state I come up with:
Yes: 43
Maybe: 25

I have a harder time reducing those 43 Yes teams than I do adding some of the Maybe teams. If the goal is to create a CFL and CBA, then I think you have 4 conferences of 3 divisions of 5 schools (60 teams total). So an Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western conference. Part of the divide IMO for FB vs BBall is that BBall is oversaturated and interregional games rarely happen. Going from 300+ teams and 14 team conferences to 60 teams and 6 team divisions will fix that.

In FB the 4 conference winners makeup your final four. College is about selection shows so you seed the 3 division winners plus select 1 wildcard for football in each conference (16 team total playoff). In BBall you have 12 teams in each conference make it. So 48 of 60 teams. The three division winners plus one 2nd place team get that first round bye.

FB you play 4 division games, 2 conference games based on your standings (so if SU is 4th in division they play the 4th placed team in the other 2 Eastern divisions), 4 inter conference games (so SU would need to schedule at least one team from each of the North, South, and West), and 2 games however you like.

BBall you play 8 division games (each team twice), 10 conference games (each team once), 10 inter conference games (9 of which are based on your place, so one team from each division), and 2 games however you like.

-------

Alabama
Yes: Alabama, Auburn
No: South Alabama, Troy, UAB
Maybe: None

Arizona
Yes: Arizona
No: None
Maybe: Arizona State (they are decent at both sports but do you really need a 2nd team in Arizona?)

Arkansas
Yes: None
No: Arkansas Sate
Maybe: Arkansas (decent at both but do they offer enough?)

California
Yes: UCLA, USC, Stanford (good at sports overall and add a market)
No: Cal, Fresno State, San Jose State
Maybe: San Diego State (decent at both and add market. Do we need 4 Cali teams?)

Colorado
Yes: Colorado
No: Colorado State
Maybe: Air Force (if you want the 3 academies as football only)

Connecticut
Yes: UConn (adds BBall men/women and a market. Plus you need some bad teams.)

Florida
Yes: Florida, Florida State, Miami
No: Florida Atlantic, Florida International
Maybe: UCF (good at FB, another market, large school but do we need 4 FL schools?), USF (another market but too many FL schools?)

Georgia
Yes: Georgia
No: Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Georgia Tech (don't think they add enough)

Hawaii
No: Hawaii

Idaho
Maybe: Boise State (good at FB but is it enough?)

Indiana
Yes: Notre Dame, Indiana (for BBall and need some bad teams)
No: Ball State
Maybe: Purdue (have BBall but is that enough to add a 3rd Indiana school?)

Iowa
Yes: Iowa
Maybe: Iowa State (decent at both sports and passionate fans but a 2nd Iowa school?)

Kansas
Yes: Kansas
No: Kansas Sate

Kentucky
Yes: Kentucky, Louisville (decent FB and BBall enough for 2nd Kentucky team?)
No: Western Kentucky

Louisiana
Yes: LSU
No: Louisiana, Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Tech, Tulane

Maryland
Yes: Maryland
Maybe: Navy (if you want FB only for academies)

Massachusetts
Yes: BC
No: UMass

Michigan
Yes: Michigan, Michigan State
No: Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan

Minnesota
Yes: Minnesota

Mississippi
Yes: No
No: Southern Miss
Maybe: Ole Miss, Mississippi State (neither offer a whole lot)

Missouri
Yes: Missouri

Nebraska
Yes: Nebraska

Nevada
No: Nevada
Maybe: UNLV (adds a state and TV market)

New Jersey
Yes: Rutgers

New Mexico
No: New Mexico State
Maybe: New Mexico (adds a new market)

New York
Yes: SU
No: Buffalo
Maybe: Army (if you add the academies as FB only)

North Carolina
Yes: UNC, Duke
No: NC State, Wake, App State, Charlotte, ECU

Ohio
Yes: Ohio State
No: Toledo, Ohio, Miami, Akron, Bowling Green, Kent State
Maybe: Cincy (good at both sports but do you go with 2 Ohio schools?)

Oklahoma
Yes: Oklahoma
No: Tulsa
Maybe: Okie State (good at both but another school in the state?)

Oregon
Yes: Oregon
No: Oregon State

Pennsylvania
Yes: Penn State
Maybe: Pitt, Temple (both are in TV markets but do you need another team in PA?)

South Carolina
Yes: Clemson
No: South Carolina, Coastal Carolina

Tennessee
Yes: Tennessee
No: Vandy, Middle Tennessee
Maybe: Memphis (good at both but a 2nd team in state?)

Texas
Yes: Texas, A&M
No: TCU, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Texas State, UTEP, UTSA
Maybe: Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech (do you take a 3rd team?)

Utah
Yes: Utah, BYU (they are national)
No: Utah State

Virginia
Yes: UVA
No: Liberty, ODU
Maybe: VA Tech (do you take a 2nd team?)

Washington
Yes: Washington
No: WSU

West Virgina
No: Marshall
Maybe: WV (good at both and add a state)

Wisconsin
Yes: Wisconsin

Wyoming
No: Wyoming

If internet subs are a factor going forward that is good for schools with string BBall programs. Look at KU's Tier 3 rights which are higher than Oklahoma's. Also BBall is an October to March sub. Football is an August to December sub. So if fans only sub during the season, BBall is longer. If a fan likes both sports then they are more likely to get a yearly sub vs monthly.

I don't know if I believe this one because PSU isn't mentioned. So they're not going to target PSU to protect Rutgers and Maryland but they are going to target Clemson and FSU when they already have SC and UF?

I'd think they'd be looking at UVA, UNC, Michigan, OSU, PSU etc...first.
It's a click article.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom