Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I think this FSU to the B1G notion you keep referencing is really, really unlikely. Like 1/1000. FSU’s best bet is to not separate themselves from the rest of southern football by playing Minnesota and Purdue every week, but to get their sh!+ together and reclaim the spot atop the ACC that they have ceded to Clemson. It’s not like it is unattainable.

They might not have the right coach, but it is a lot more realistic to fix that than to play games 800-1200 miles away twice a month and still having to overcome Ohio State. Just start beating Dabo and everything will be fine for the Noles, who are not leaving the ACC.

So we just have 2.5 major conferences? Penn State and Rutgers are the two schools for the whole Northeast? 50,000,000+ people? My love for college sports has waned a bit, but this would kill it. No one wants this s***. College athletics will be a regional game for the midwest and south.

I was listening to ESPNU radio on SiriusXM and this is what they kept talking about, that none of the 8 remaining Big 12 schools are very attractive at all, so why would any conference go after them?

I have to say I am warming up to this 4 division, 4 team model. Would keep everyone playing each other more often and make it feel like a real conference.

I've figured it all out for Pac-12. They go with 4 from Wash/Oregon, 4 Cali, 4 AZ/CO/Utah, 4 Baylor, TT, TCU, Okie State. I feel like Costanza working out trades for Steinbrenner.

ACC just picks up WVU, goes with 3 divisions of 5 until ND is ready.

Kansas, K State and Iowa State can join the AAC. It's supposed to cover all of America after all.

I need a new job.

I don't think the Pac 12 expands without addressing Nevada and Las Vegas in particular. It's a top 40 television market, it's expanding and there is no major conference presence there right now.

That's a great point. These conferences could just corral the entire apparatus and create their own world/league.

It's so weird to consider that maybe the B10 just absorbs the entire ACC in that scenario. Why stop at 1 school when you could create a new league and own the entire IP.
The REAL money would be in scrapping all of these conferences and creating a 72 school super league. Then divide up into 8 geographically logical divisions of 9 schools each (for football anyway) and have at it. The TV deals that would come from that would far eclipse all of the current separate conference deals combined.

Obviously that'll never, ever happen. But everything that's gone on with conference realignment over the past 30 years has been just a series of half-hearted attempts to grow revenue in relatively small increments. And it's been a mess that has not served the fans at all.

Do they want to expand into those states at this point? Does it get them enough incremental money to increase the payout per team?

Do the alums of those schools want to join a midwestern conference?

I don't think this stuff is that simple. It will be a seismic shift, so anything is possible, and maybe they play to any inferiority complex FSU might feel by earning so much less than the Gators or GT might feel to UGA. Even Clemson (who is light years better on the field) earning less conference dough than South Carolina.

The only way IMO the B1G does so is if the P5 schools leave FBS to create their own Super division. In that case the B1G can go to 32 teams (four 8 team divisions) and stretch coast to coast. The SEC would be an 18 team (three six team divisions) Southern only conference.

B1G
Current 14 + SU, BC, ND, UNC, Duke, UVA, Clemson, GA Tech, FSU, Miami + Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona State, Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA

SEC
Current 14 + Oklahoma, Texas + VA Tech, NC State

If FSU leaves the ACC the conference is in major trouble. I would bet the conference would lose a lot more.
We can agree to disagree.
It’s just not going to stop at one domino at that point.

You don't think conference will go past 16. The SEC will be at 16. So where is FSU going? If the go to the B1G then that leaves one slot and neither UNC or UVA are going. Worst case for the ACC FSU and Clemson leave for the B1G and then the ACC adds UCF, Cincy, WV, and ND (who is forced into a conference due to scheduling). The only way FSU is a domino is if conferences go past 16.

The REAL money would be in scrapping all of these conferences and creating a 72 school super league. Then divide up into 8 geographically logical divisions of 9 schools each (for football anyway) and have at it. The TV deals that would come from that would far eclipse all of the current separate conference deals combined.

Obviously that'll never, ever happen. But everything that's gone on with conference realignment over the past 30 years has been just a series of half-hearted attempts to grow revenue in relatively small increments. And it's been a mess that has not served the fans at all.

govt getting involved would tilt this moon. May happen. I could see trump running on this issue if red states are shut out here like Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma, etc

fan service has been ignored but have the universities suffered from this? Feel like realignment is any news is good news. Similar to nba draft getting big ratings. People like this drama.

The only way IMO the B1G does so is if the P5 schools leave FBS to create their own Super division. In that case the B1G can go to 32 teams (four 8 team divisions) and stretch coast to coast. The SEC would be an 18 team (three six team divisions) Southern only conference.

B1G
Current 14 + SU, BC, ND, UNC, Duke, UVA, Clemson, GA Tech, FSU, Miami + Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona State, Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA

SEC
Current 14 + Oklahoma, Texas + VA Tech, NC State

B1G West
USC, UCLA, UW, Oregon, ASU, Utah, Colorado, KU

B1G North
Nebraska, Iowa, Minny, Wisc, Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State

B1G East
PSU, tOSU, SU, BC, RU, Purdue, Indiana, ND

B1G South
FSU, Miami, GA Tech, Clemson, UNC, Duke, UVA, MD

SEC West
Texas, A&M, OU, Ark, Mizzou, LSU

SEC Central
Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, Tenn, Vandy

SEC East
Fla, UGA, SC, VA Tech, NC State, UK

I don't think the Pac 12 expands without addressing Nevada and Las Vegas in particular. It's a top 40 television market, it's expanding and there is no major conference presence there right now.

Yeah, I mean no way they're adding 3 Texas schools. If they did want the footprint, one of the bridesmaids will do, maybe 2, but certainly not 3.

With the cable bundle imploding, streaming is driving the next iteration of conference realignment similar to what is happening currently with content. Look at all the streaming services that have been formed by traditional cable channel companies to offset the loss of cable subs: Disney+, ESPN+, HBO Max, Paramount+, Peacock, Discovery+, ... So, you need to add strong brands in order to be an attractive conference streaming service that people will actually decide to purchase. (Remember, most people did not buy the Big 10 or SEC networks, but they were included in their cable bundle.)

People are buying Disney+ as they offer attractive content. My guess is many people would buy an SEC and Big 10 streaming service, but would many people buy a Pac12 or ACC streaming service with the existing content? I think the ACC and Pac 12 need more brands, but there are few available and the potential leftovers from the Big 12 do not move the needle.

FSU hasn’t been competitive in the ACC. They would get killed in the SEC. They‘re another program that think they’re better than they are.

I can't see any scenario where UNC or UVA want to leave the ACC. This conference is theirs, the money is good, the institutional fit is perfect. Pillar schools from the long-time, stable 4 conferences (ACC, SEC, B10, P12) don't leave.

Honestly, I think people lose their minds a little when it comes to conference stuff. Despite all the rumors and drama 10 years ago, the changes were all pretty logical. Scenarios like the ACC adding 4 mediocre Big 12 schools is not logical, IMHO.
I call horsepoop on this. This calm, cool and logical reading of how things will shake out based on how they historically played out is just not accurate.

No one would have predicted MD would go to the B1G prior when the rumors first starting flying. No one. Yes - hey had major financial problems, but that was a wild twist.

Also, the B1G taking Rutgers was, and still is, a very controversial and not-so-obvious move. We can talk until we are blue in the face about whether it was wise, but it was certainly not obvious.

Next - we have the ACC expansions. VT stepping into our spot is not what the ACC intended. Later on, many were confident we'd ultimately get an invite, but that also was uncertain (and quite a relief).

It'd be like the B1G waking up tomorrow and asking BC and Syracuse to join. Damn - lock up the NE - make themselves attractive to ND, etc. etc. There is logic to it. If they did it, would we say it was obvious and logical in retrospect? Hell no - if would be a crazy unpredictable move - just like the MD and Rutgers moves were.

And - yes, I am starting that rumor right now. SU and BC to the B1G. Makes about as much sense as anything else being tossed about.

FSU hasn’t been competitive in the ACC. They would get killed in the SEC. They‘re another program that think they’re better than they are.
Give FSU another $30 million per year from the SEC and give them an SEC home schedule and I think the competitive fires would be re-awakened at FSU. Heck they won the football championship in 2013 and they were ranked in the final top 10 four times from 2012 to 2016 and the other year they were ranked 14. They just need the right coach.

As to the GOR Texas and Oklahoma would owe the Big XII 2 years of revenue. The conference could keep their home games till 2025. However if they wouldn’t negotiate when UT and OU determined they wanted to leave it would be bad business. GOR are basically around just to be used as a threat they will have no teeth once a school determines they want to leave.

Maryland showed that with the ACC.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the ACC did not have a GOR when Maryland left. MD was penalized an exit fee, but nothing under a GOR. The ACC GOR was established as a prerequisite to the ACCN being established- ESPN demanded the conference have it before agreeing to the Network. They did that for a reason, because GOR's have teeth.

A GOR has never been tested in a court of law, ever. Most conferences have one and are loath to poke the bear and have one overturned in a suit.
If you think there's chaos now, imagine a GOR-less landscape where schools can go whenever and wherever they want, w/ no repercussions. I can't see how ESPN/FOX/NBC/Amazon et al, would ever allow that to be the norm.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ACC did not have a GOR when Maryland left. MD was penalized an exit fee, but nothing under a GOR. The ACC GOR was established as a prerequisite to the ACCN being established- ESPN demanded the conference have it before agreeing to the Network. They did that for a reason, because GOR's have teeth.

A GOR has never been tested in a court of law, ever. Most conferences have one and are loath to poke the bear and have one overturned in a suit.
If you think there's chaos now, imagine a GOR-less landscape where schools can go whenever and wherever they want, w/ no repercussions. I can't see how ESPN/FOX/NBC/Amazon et al, would ever allow that to be the norm.
Yeah I don't buy the GOR can be shot down at anytime logic.

Side note - that US News ranking is basically horse poo. I listened to a podcast where they did a deep dive on how they tabulate it and it's pretty wild
I've heard from 100% unreliable sources this is how:
1626997522212.png

So we just have 2.5 major conferences? Penn State and Rutgers are the two schools for the whole Northeast? 50,000,000+ people? My love for college sports has waned a bit, but this would kill it. No one wants this s***. College athletics will be a regional game for the midwest and south.

That's what I wonder: If the football factories create their own superconference(s), will the fans of the schools left out care enough about that to get the TV ratings and streaming hits to make it preferable? Or will they start to care more about the conferences and championships the rest of the teams created? Will people in Syracuse, Iowa or Oregon care as much about a super conference championship game between Ohio State and Alabama if their local school wasn't a part of what Ohio State and Alabama were a part of?

Last edited:
That's what I wonder: If the football factories create their own superconference(s), will the fans of the schools left out care enough about that to get the TV ratings and streaming hits to make it preferable? Or will they start to care more about the conferences and championships the rest of the teams created? Will people in Syracuse, Iowa or Oregon care as much about a super conference championship game between Ohio State and Alabama if their local school wasn't a part of what Ohio State and Oklahoma were a part of?

Yep, isn't one of the reasons they had the National Championship in SF a couple years ago because they wanted to "grow" the game? This B1G vs SEC expansion race isn't good IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom