Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

You think Swofford knew this was coming down the road and wanted to get out of dodge while he could? He retired at the perfect time.
His lack of understanding is what will kill the ACC. To much power in the hands of the North Carolina schools, was shortsided, and being previously at North Carolina.

Wow, you have a lot of negativity about SU in general. My suggestion is to oil up your racks and get ready for leaf season. You don't seem like an SU fan so why even bother with this awesome SU sports forum.
Nothing he is saying is inaccurate. Being able to look at the program from the outside instead of as a homer isn't just being a negative Nancy. Pretending we are something that we aren't and then being shocked by what outside perception really ends up being doesn't do anyone any good. Some people can handle it and some still think it's the late 80s and we are a 2 sport powerhouse.

ND will play
Navy
USC
Stanford
BYU

Then find 8 games they can do it. Even without the ACC and Big Ten.
ND doesn’t need SU and BC.

Notre Dame left the Big East because they wanted their Olympic sports to have a better home.
ND negotiatied with the Big XII and ACC and made a deal with the ACC because it helped their Olympic sports and they liked playing 5 games in the ACC region.

If the B1G's goal is a national conference USC and Stanford will be off the table. If the B1G tells their schools to force ND to join by not scheduling them, then what? Also where does ND go for all their other sports? Back to the Big East?

If ND's choice is Big East sports and FB play Navy, BYU, UConn, 4 SEC teams and 5 G5 teams do you really think they say no to the B1G?

Miami based on just football alone has more value. Based on the end game they have less. If the B1G destroyed the ACC and P12, then they would have enough power to pick off the AAU SEC schools. Florida would come into play. Taking Miami before wouldn't be wise.
There is no chance an SEC school would leave for the Big Ten.
Cmon man you get this stuff.

I don’t think any conference is expanding to bring on dead weight either. If they expand it will be a team that brings legit value.

Big Ten fans still hate and mock the Rutgers addition. They won’t add anyone unless they bring real value.

If the B1G's goal is a national conference USC and Stanford will be off the table. If the B1G tells their schools to force ND to join by not scheduling them, then what? Also where does ND go for all their other sports? Back to the Big East?

If ND's choice is Big East sports and FB play Navy, BYU, UConn, 4 SEC teams and 5 G5 teams do you really think they say no to the B1G?
Stanford and USC will not be bullied into that type of deal.
Teams will still play nonconference games.
If the PAC-12 gets swallowed up by the Big Ten then schools like Oregon State, Washington State would get left out.

USC could go independent before it allowed itself to be treated by the Big Ten like that.

If Delany was still commish, I think Texas and Oklahoma would still be in play. Think about it... the SEC gets the bad press for destroying the B12 but before Texas and OU sign on with the SEC, they decide to join the B1G.

If the B1G were cutthroat they would expand to 48 schools and kill off the ACC, P12, SEC before creating their own division for all sports.

You think Swofford knew this was coming down the road and wanted to get out of dodge while he could? He retired at the perfect time.
He is part of the problem. He always sucked up to NC and Duke and was too late in pushing the needle towards football. The ACC network took forever getting started. Thank goodness he’s gone. We finally have a visionary as leader of the ACC. I just hope it’s not too late.

There is no chance an SEC school would leave for the Big Ten.
Cmon man you get this stuff.

I don’t think any conference is expanding to bring on dead weight either. If they expand it will be a team that brings legit value.

Big Ten fans still hate and mock the Rutgers addition. They won’t add anyone unless they bring real value.

If the B1G has a national conference they will have more money than the SEC. They can threaten to close themselves off to the rest of college football (and BBall too). So the B1G champ is considered the National Champ. So of course Florida (AAU) would be open to joining vs making less money, not having research money access, and being stuck in FBS.

Why would the B1G want to share playoff money with G5 schools or even the SEC? They can be big enough to create their own FB division and have their own playoff which is tons and tons of money.

B1G
FBS
FCS
DII
DIII

Which do you think Florida want to be a part of?

It's strictly about the cash. Making the move probably nets an extra $20m a year into the AD budget which will allow them to keep up in the arms race.
yeah, I know. What I was trying to say is the value is short-term and/or just driven by the Networks (in cash payments). I think the fan value diminishes over time (e.g. Nebraska eliminated all their rivalries by joining the Big 10)

He is part of the problem. He always sucked up to NC and Duke and was too late in pushing the needle towards football. The ACC network took forever getting started. Thank goodness he’s gone. We finally have a visionary as leader of the ACC. I just hope it’s not too late.
As long as Clemson, Florida State and Miami are happy then we're good. That will ensure a seat at the big boys table. Add in West Virginia as another school that is perennially a solid to good squad and makes plenty of sense geographically and already has built in rivalries and we'll be alright.

yeah, I know. What I was trying to say is the value is short-term and/or just driven by the Networks (in cash payments). I think the fan value diminishes over time (e.g. Nebraska eliminated all their rivalries by joining the Big 10)
Nebraska did screw up but I think the bigger problem may just be that they stink. If they were playing big games against their new division opponents on a yearly basis then nothing else would really be all that important. Having 1 season with more than 6 wins in their last 6 seasons is probably more of their issue then not playing Colorado and Oklahoma.

Plus he kept the Mayberry RFD network going where his son worked.

If the B1G has a national conference they will have more money than the SEC. They can threaten to close themselves off to the rest of college football (and BBall too). So the B1G champ is considered the National Champ. So of course Florida (AAU) would be open to joining vs making less money, not having research money access, and being stuck in FBS.

Why would the B1G want to share playoff money with G5 schools or even the SEC? They can be big enough to create their own FB division and have their own playoff which is tons and tons of money.

B1G
FBS
FCS
DII
DIII

Which do you think Florida want to be a part of?
All of the rest of teams in the country could join the same league and if Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC then the SEC is still better than everything else combined. Just go look at recruiting classes by year. The only 2 schools that have any hope of competing with the top of the SEC are Ohio State and Clemson.

One thing no one has been able to explain to me: why would ESPN lock up all media rights to the ACC, then severely devalue those rights by grossly underpaying? If that was the plan all along, I have to question that plan...
Based on numbers of TV viewers for both revenue sports, The Pac has been overpaid, perhaps even grossly overpaid, and the ACC has been underpaid. So ESPN has devalued the ACC, has gotten the ACC on the cheap.

There are both SEC and BT fans who think that ESPN has devalued the ACC precisely to force the ACC to 'shed dead weight,' as SEC and BT fans term schools like Wake, etc.

Is BC dead weight because nobody in New England cares a jot about college sports? Is NCSU dead weight because it is a #3 most valuable school in NC? Is GT dead weight because its attendance in both revenue sports has dropped and remained down?

There are some SEC fans who think that ESPN would like to force a 'merger' between SEC and ACC, but only 8 ACC members get in. And the SEC will not take more than 2 members from any state. And the SEC has become like the BT is opposing private schools being so much as considered (ND the lone exception).

What I now fear is that ESPN has become that nasty in its desire to streamline and get the best of Fox Sports in terms of college sports broadcasting.

The Miami FB brand isn't worth it. First off the SEC will never take them. So only the B1G would. The B1G would take UNC, UVA, Duke, GA Tech, FSU, Clemson all before Miami. If they are at 20 teams they are not taking 21. So if you take Miami who else are you adding?

If the B1G is sitting at 20 their next target would be ND. Adding SU and BC goes a long way to getting ND. Which puts us ahead of Miami.
Check the viewer ratings i posted. They were #2 in the ACC in terms of viewership. This will be about TV contracts.

Baylor’s a religious school.
They aren’t getting into the PAC-12 it’s part of the reason BYU isn’t in the PAC-12.

Syracuse has a better chance of getting into the Big Ten than Iowa State does.

Kansas will try to get into the Big Ten but it’s unlikely.

Oklahoma State, Kansas, Texas Tech and Iowa State should petition the PAC-12.

Baylor, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas State to the American.

BYU isn't in the Pac-12 because they didn't want to have Sunday games due to religious reasons. Pac-12 could not assure them of that. Baylor has no similar requirement.

Check the viewer ratings i posted. They were #2 in the ACC in terms of viewership. This will be about TV contracts.

I disagree. One it will be about consolidation, which means a P2 instead of a P5. Second it will be about fanbase size.

Miami is a good pairing game. They don't drive a rating by themselves. Also their FB brand is dying. They are not committed as an institution to being a top FB anymore.

Adding the U is a great get. Problem is the U is no longer. They are now Miami.

Exactly. The SEC is high on the smell on their own farts if they think the areas where they kill football will want to watch Arkansas vs Ole Miss. Similar to Purdue vs N

I schedule my time around Syracuse football. I watch Georgia and Florida is it’s on and I happen to flip to it. I’ll watch NC State vs WF because they are in our division.

CFB is great because it’s everywhere. We need more parity not less.
Yes, Big Time CFB needs more private schools and more smaller schools and more teams that have fans in regions other than the South and midwest. But reality is reality. Fighting reality guarantees you lose eventually, no matter how good your intentions.

The only northeastern CFB team with even decent football attendance is PSU, which has huge attendance. If PSU were in the ACC with ND (which always fights PSU for most TV eyeballs for football in the northeast), then ACC TV deals would be much larger - because the heavily populated northeast would be all in on the ACC.

BYU isn't in the Pac-12 because they didn't want to have Sunday games due to religious reasons. Pac-12 could not assure them of that. Baylor has no similar requirement.
Your are correct but Stanford and Cal-Berkeley have had problems with Baylor in the past. Thanks to Ken Starr.

You are underselling Miami and overselling Syracuse.
I am a Syracuse fan and wish we were more valuable but cmon man.

Miami played more prime time games(3) last year on ABC than Syracuse has the previous 15 years(2)

Miami still gets attention.
Anytime Miami can win more than 9 regular season games, it is hot for TV. And talent is easily drawn to Miami, even with bad coaches like Randy Shannon and Al Golden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom