Thank you Mike for getting Andrew White | Syracusefan.com

Thank you Mike for getting Andrew White

Trust me it's a fact Mike G was definitely the number one factor to close the deal!

"Thanks for the motivation." One of the best post-game quotes ever made by a Syracuse basketball player.

In terms of program history, Mike G may not be top tier but for recent history he's very high on the list of GREAT players. Based on stats, big games, leadership on and off the court, he could be considered a top 20 all-time. Maybe top 15. Top 10 all-time? We have so many great players over the years top 10 is a tough argument. But I really like Mike G and what he has done for the Orange. He will always get a warm reception in the Dome for many years to come.

"Thanks for the motivation." One of the best post-game quotes ever made by a Syracuse basketball player.

In terms of program history, Mike G may not be top tier but for recent history he's very high on the list of GREAT players. Based on stats, big games, leadership on and off the court, he could be considered a top 20 all-time. Maybe top 15. Top 10 all-time? We have so many great players over the years top 10 is a tough argument. But I really like Mike G and what he has done for the Orange. He will always get a warm reception in the Dome for many years to come.
I think the fact that we made the Final Four will define last season, but I just hope people always remember how great G was last season. The dude carried us on his back for the most of the year (remember that NC State game?). In a year that no one was consistent at all on offense, G was a stud.

I'm sure he was disappointed in his performance against UNC in Houston, because he knows if he had a normal game, we would have won that. But the dude carried us for 40 games. He will probably never get the props he deserves because it was only for a year, but to steal a JB line, we don't win 10 games without G last year, not 10.

Top 20 all-time? I doubt it. He had an outstanding season but many, many guys had more than one. Top 10 is just ludicrous.
Bing
Melo
Pearl
Coleman
Sherm
Owens
Bouie
Louie
Seikaly
Wallace
Thompson
Flynn
Gmac
Shumpert
Hak
Schayes
Denny Duval
Hackett
Leo Rautins
Moten
Addison
..And there are plenty of others deserving, too. Mike G was a very good player who had a great season and is a great person, but top 20 or better is just wrong. Our history is very rich. We are SU, not Cleveland State.

Top 20 all-time? I doubt it. He had an outstanding season but many, many guys had more than one. Top 10 is just ludicrous.
Bing
Melo
Pearl
Coleman
Sherm
Owens
Bouie
Louie
Seikaly
Wallace
Thompson
Flynn
Gmac
Shumpert
Hak
Schayes
Denny Duval
Hackett
Leo Rautins
Moten
Addison
..And there are plenty of others deserving, too. Mike G was a very good player who had a great season and is a great person, but top 20 or better is just wrong. Our history is very rich. We are SU, not Cleveland State.
I think he said recent history not overall.

He wrote "all time". You can't have "recent history" and "all time" in the same reference. It makes no sense, so which is it? I fully expect some back tracking...

I thought G had pretty good stats. Maybe he'e not as good as I thought. But still, very good in terms of recent history (last 10 - 15 years). All time would be tough to make top 20. The program has had some really amazing players. I wasn't really making a claim but more wondering where G fit in the lists near term and all time. I hadn't really thought it about that hard when I made the post.

Bing
Melo
Pearl
Coleman
Sherm
Owens
Bouie
Louie
Seikaly
Wallace
Thompson
Flynn
Gmac
Shumpert
Hak
Schayes
Denny Duval
Hackett
Leo Rautins
Moten
Addison

Denny Duval? Never heard of him. You mean Sweet D? Left out Kid Kohls, Lee's, Z, etc. What many of them did is get us to a final 4, and that is exactly what Silent G did. Over time he will be seen as one of our big time players.

Denny Duval? Never heard of him. You mean Sweet D? Left out Kid Kohls, Lee's, Z, etc. What many of them did is get us to a final 4, and that is exactly what Silent G did. Over time he will be seen as one of our big time players.
With the exception of Melo, all the players on the list I posted had more than 1 significant year. And as I wrote, there are plenty of other deserving players. Z was more like MikeG in impact. I guess I'm not sure of your point...

My point is that players that get us to a final four are held in high regard and over time that is where Silent G will be held. Multi year contributors are becoming rarer. Hard to continue to hold that as a criteria. Mal has one good year and he is gone. Lyden will soon be gone. That is the future, not even mentioning 5th year one and dones.

I think the fact that we made the Final Four will define last season, but I just hope people always remember how great G was last season. The dude carried us on his back for the most of the year (remember that NC State game?). In a year that no one was consistent at all on offense, G was a stud.

I'm sure he was disappointed in his performance against UNC in Houston, because he knows if he had a normal game, we would have won that. But the dude carried us for 40 games. He will probably never get the props he deserves because it was only for a year, but to steal a JB line, we don't win 10 games without G last year, not 10.

PLaying for Nigeria Olympics national team in the summer of 2015 was highly beneficial for G, who cranked it up and played at a high level last year.

Sure didn't hurt to have him play against older, bigger, stronger men in an organized setting.

My point is that players that get us to a final four are held in high regard and over time that is where Silent G will be held. Multi year contributors are becoming rarer. Hard to continue to hold that as a criteria. Mal has one good year and he is gone. Lyden will soon be gone. That is the future, not even mentioning 5th year one and dones.

I don't know. Brandon Triche is the all time winningest player here, was the 2nd leading scorer on FF team and people enjoyed him about as much as they enjoyed Trevor Cooney.

I don't know. Brandon Triche is the all time winningest player here, was the 2nd leading scorer on FF team and people enjoyed him about as much as they enjoyed Trevor Cooney.
There are plenty of people on this board and elsewhere who appreciated what both players accomplished at SU.

Bing
Melo
Pearl
Coleman
Sherm
Owens
Bouie
Louie
Seikaly
Wallace
Thompson
Flynn
Gmac
Shumpert
Hak
Schayes
Denny Duval
Hackett
Leo Rautins
Moten
Addison

how many of those players had to learn a new position late in their career, and then did so well enough to take his team to the FF? I am sure it is zero, so Mike G will always stand alone in that regard. Objectively, sure, you can place several players ahead of him in the history of the hoops program, but I have no issue with anyone saying he is one of the all time greats. His career was amazing, at a difficult time for the program.

There are plenty of people on this board and elsewhere who appreciated what both players accomplished at SU.

This is true and I am one of them, but you can't deny that the Syracuse fanbase showered a lot of negativity on these two players over their careers. A lot of negativity.

how many of those players had to learn a new position late in their career, and then did so well enough to take his team to the FF? I am sure it is zero, so Mike G will always stand alone in that regard. Objectively, sure, you can place several players ahead of him in the history of the hoops program, but I have no issue with anyone saying he is one of the all time greats. His career was amazing, at a difficult time for the program.

I like Mike, but he had 1.5 Very good years here. Not enough IMO.

And Carmelo had 1, you can't really judge players on amount of college years, especially this day and age.

Different circumstances. Melo was a once in a generation player. Gbinije is good, but he's like Rakeem Christmas IMO.

This is true and I am one of them, but you can't deny that the Syracuse fanbase showered a lot of negativity on these two players over their careers. A lot of negativity.
I would never deny that. I just think the relentlessness of their detractors makes it seem like the negativity is more widespread than it actually is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom