That's John Wallace | Syracusefan.com

That's John Wallace

SWC75

Bored Historian
J-Dub is being interviewed on Matt Park's "In the Booth" show and was asked about the situation with the women's lacrosse team where Maryland was supposed to come here to play today, (the team was going to have it's senior day as the Dome is closing and they will be on the road the rest of the year). The Terps said that because of the threatening weather , they will not be coming here. John Wildhack agreed to send the team down there, (in the same weather which is fine today). Matt thought we kind of whimped out but John was all in favor of it. "we should tell Maryland that we don't care where we play them: Nothing is going to save you from the whuppin' we're going to give you!"

I thought, well, that's John Wallace for you.

Last edited:
I have always loved JW’s swagger, something I feel we have been lacking for a while. My favorite was when he was talking about playing Arkansas in the tournament. He told his teammates (paraphrasing) “All you have to do is play even with Scotty Thurman, all you have to do is play even with Corey Beck, because I will OWN Corliss Williamson”.

JW bleeds Orange and his jersey retirement is well deserved. One of the best and most important Orange legends in program history.

That was a stacked Jayhawk team we played too. Jaques Vaugn, Raef Laftentz, Paul Pierce, Jarod Haase, Scott Pollard... that was a great win, after wallace played horse with Georgia in the sweet 16...
Best that money could buy. Too bad Al McGuire didn’t live long enough to have a dance with JW as his jersey goes up.

I have always loved JW’s swagger, something I feel we have been lacking for a while. My favorite was when he was talking about playing Arkansas in the tournament. He told his teammates (paraphrasing) “All you have to do is play even with Scotty Thurman, all you have to do is play even with Corey Beck, because I will OWN Corliss Williamson”.

JW bleeds Orange and his jersey retirement is well deserved. One of the best and most important Orange legends in program history.

His confidence was on display his senior year of high school as he showed up to the War Memorial in Rochester for the Sectional Semifinals against East High School with a shaved head and the only hair remaining was spelled "Da' Man"! J-Dub has got to be considered for one of the faces on Mount Rushmore of Cuse Hoops! (Pearl, DC, J-Dub, and Melo)

I would argue he’s THE most important. He came in spite of the first probation. I think he saved our program.

and I think the fifth foul was weak and we win that game otherwise.

It is very hard to find someone who was a bigger plus to Syracuse than John Wallace over the years. He could have easily not come here after our sanctions, he nearly single handedly carried us to the title game and has an extremely positive and contagious attitude. Many, many others have been great but John did it when we were nearly scraping the bottom. Well deserved number 44.

Today's game paid tribute to the warrior Wallace in more ways than one. It reminded him just how good he was by showing the stark contrast of most who have come since...in case he somehow forgot how great he was. I wish they could have done better for him on his big day.

A couple of years or so ago I paid tribute to him on a white board at a bar showing a tournament game by putting his trademark line on it. John's one guy the character in Glengarry Glen Ross wouldn't try to take the coffee from, because he was a closer.

Last edited:
Literally ran into him randomly in an elevator at a club in NYC a few years back -- was legitimately star struck -- "You're John Wallace!"

I felt the same way when I saw Jim Hayes in the concourse today!

My personal favorite JW highlight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom