The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

Wouldn’t be surprised if Downs from UNC and possibly Gibbs from GT are at Bama next year. They already brought Ricks in from LSU. Boutte from LSU is rumored to want to transfer over. Saban is making the portal a big part of his roster management.

Dino, or whoever our coach is in 12 months, should do the same. We aren’t landing much talent from high school so just restructure our recruiting efforts so we place a big emphasis on scouting and targeting transfers. It’s the quickest way to get substantially better. Just look at Michigan St. this year.
The issue is these high end players want to continue to go to the same 10 or so programs. Even players like verse are looking to go to those programs.
Not saying su cannot pull kids from the portal but I think it’s unrealistic to think we will be pulling in highly rated players just because they are in the portal.

The issue is these high end players want to continue to go to the same 10 or so programs. Even players like verse are looking to go to those programs.
Not saying su cannot pull kids from the portal but I think it’s unrealistic to think we will be pulling in highly rated players just because they are in the portal.

Agree completely. Those guys aren’t coming to Syracuse. There are guys though who would be upgrades to our roster or 2 deep that are attainable. We need to do the work to identify good fits for our playing style, really lay out the red carpet and pursue them hard, work the back channels to be informed on who may be out there, etc.

Then once you go from 1 bowl in 6 years to say a bowl every other year you become a more appealing destination. It has to be done one phase at a time, over time but this creates a path for us to be more successful relative to our ability to get high school talent.

Come on, Virginia! Come on!

shruggie.0.0.jpg

I think I've seen it all. Guys in portal are playing for teams in bowl games they want to leave. Questions I have: What if they get hurt? What if they play bad and it is their last film? Then again, they could play well. What are the teams they are leaving thinking? Can they trust the player to make decisions on the field in the best decisions of their teammates and team or will they make decisions in their own personal interests to impress other teams. This is undeniable craziness. I'm surprised these teams don't say "You're in the portal and not part of our team. You will not play in a bowl." Perhaps the teams think the player might withdraw from the portal and return.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom