The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

If we have a lead with under 1:00 left, we'll get called for "portal interference" and someone will have 1st and goal.
Angry Fan GIF

Whoever you are getting that 32 from hasn't read the waiver carefully.
K. With 60 on the current roster. We can grab the normal 25.

For any who depart after the 15th we can replace up to 7.

Last edited:

17 if you count RTB:
Landon Morris
Cody Shear
Jarveon Howard
Taj Harris
Tommy DeVito
Latarie Kinsler
Dillon Markiewicz
Geoff Cantin-Arku
Curtis Harper
Joe Rondi
Luke Benson
Adrian Cole
Cooper Lutz
Sharod Johnson
Chase Atkinson
Ben Labrosse
If we win this, will it be enough to get us to a Bowl game?

K. With 60 on the current roster. We can grab the normal 25. ONLY if others leave by tomorrow, can we grab more?

If a player goes home for break and decides not to come back, or leaves after spring, etc. We're SOL?

IF true, it seems we'd know tomorrow if anyone is declating for the NFL.
The way that waiver reads is that a school can only replace a transfer who leaves after the end of Fall semester or 12/15, if they can't make the 85 cap with just the current class of 25. From that it sounds like all the transfers before tomorrow you don't get to replace any of them in the seven allowed.

The way that waiver reads is that a school can only replace a transfer who leaves after the end of Fall semester or 12/15, if they can't make the 85 cap with just the current class of 25. From that it sounds like all the transfers before tomorrow you don't get to replace any of them in the seven allowed.

I think I'm interchanging when they enter the portal- with if they leave at the end of the semester. I think it may be implied that ALL count as leaving at the end of the ACADEMIC semester/dec 15, regardless of portal date.

Meaning, if a team was already down to 53 or lower? They could indeed grab 32.
Otherwise, coaches may just ask players to hold off on transferring until after tomorrow.

I think I'm interchanging when they enter the portal- with if they leave at the end of the semester. I think it may be implied that ALL count as leaving at the end of the ACADEMIC semester/dec 15, regardless of portal date.

Meaning, if a team was already down to 53 or lower? They could indeed grab 32.
Otherwise, coaches may just ask players to hold off on transferring until after tomorrow.
Then the question is how many of those kids who entered the portal are still at SU? Or did they already leave? Some are grad transfers.

17 if you count RTB:
Landon Morris
Cody Shear
Jarveon Howard
Taj Harris
Tommy DeVito
Latarie Kinsler
Dillon Markiewicz
Geoff Cantin-Arku
Curtis Harper
Joe Rondi
Luke Benson
Adrian Cole
Cooper Lutz
Sharod Johnson
Chase Atkinson
Ben Labrosse
you forgot about Rob Hanna

I could have swore I read it but nothing coming up in Google. I very well could be mistaken.

Maybe you're thinking of Cole or Atkinson?

Of course, the day is still young. :rolleyes:

I believe we can take 32 players this cycle since we lost at least 7 to transfer. Our standard 25 plus 7 to recoup. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong
Better take as many as possible because the current roster is fbs level

I believe we can take 32 players this cycle since we lost at least 7 to transfer. Our standard 25 plus 7 to recoup. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Plus an additional scholarship up to 7 for every player who enters the portal after either the end of the institution’s fall term or Dec. 15, 2021, whichever is earlier. SU's Fall semester ends Dec 17.

As of right now, we only have room for 25 anyways.

If 7 more players portal after tomorrow, we can get 7 more scholarships.

Potentially, we can still have 85 players next year.

Of course, tomorrow's another week.

One thing I'll give credit to Dino for is not just taking guys to fill the numbers, as I'm sure he feels pressure to do so at this point.

Really? We have a whole slew of players going in to the portal that largely might have never seen the field. He’s not just taking players over the years to have numbers? So are you saying the staff is just horrible at identifying talent?

They’re either poor talent evaluators and guys aren’t panning out or they’re poor recruiters of good players and then filling up the roster with whomever they can get. One or the other.

Then the question is how many of those kids who entered the portal are still at SU? Or did they already leave? Some are grad transfers.
In order to maintain eligibility, so they CAN transfer, they'd have to maintain a GPA and earn credit towards their degree.. I believe this is the implied portion- they are all there through finals.

IF they graduated early? (Howard, etc...) I "thought" they just needed to be enrolled in a class. Ballroom dancing, enhanced nap time, etc... So GT could bring an interesting question. IF a GT didn't finish their gimme course? Do they lose eligibility? Or do they just NOT count as a transfer loss?

Say a kid like Labrosse went home?(quit) Is he allowed to take a semester off? You know much more of that stuff. IF he is allowed? He would then not count as a transfer eligible for 1 of the 7, as he was not there dec 15. Beats me.

It just seems odd to me, that only a portal ENTRY after dec 15 would count. I "think" they only retain eligibility if they complete the semester, so only eligible players count.

If Taj didn't maintain eligibility through the END of the semester? Maybe that's why he decomitted? In that case? He wouldn't count, because he's not eligible?

LOL.

Last edited:
I’m partial to the knee pads above the knee penalty

I think that is literally the only game I have ever seen that called.
And they called it on us at least twice,

This is why, IMO, this should NOT be allowed mid-semester.
It literally blows up team and player relationships.

I think that is literally the only game I have ever seen that called.
And they called it on us at least twice,
I can’t get over it after all these years. Also have never had so much sweat dripping off my body than during that game. Maybe hottest ever

I’m already at the point there should be an athletic department review of what’s going on but if guys like Hanna leave there is a serious issue. It just can’t be ignored.
I hate to say it but your right , they better be delving into this to understand what’s going on and how they can remedy it. Man dino better buckle up and be ready to ride . It’s possible for him to turn it around but he’s gotta be willing to work harder then ever. He put himself in this position, let’s find out who he truly is.

Just an FYI

Could be nothing, probably is but Justin Barron tweeted a support to LaBrosse entering the portal earlier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom