The 2021 "at least we're not UConn" thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021 "at least we're not UConn" thread

When UConn first graced the BE football conference with their intent to become part of the conference, I went to their board to try and have a friendly dialogue with them. We had recent history as rivals with basketball for about the ten years prior, and I always enjoy football more so this was my chance to meet some UConn fans. It was insane. There was no having a rational discussion with them - aside from one or two who tried to be civil. An entitled group of &#+^>¥#<s who had no idea that football was played prior to 2000.

I finally threw my keyboard hands up, added “Alpha and Omega” as a tongue in cheek jab at them that SU was the beginning of the BE and we would be the end of it. Ended up kind of prophetic. UCon fans can go kick rocks in FCS.
Mora is going to put UCONN on the map. I'm already looking at the game next year coming out of the automatic win category. He is going to portal hard, something the Orange should be doing as well.

I attended an SU Football game at UConn and I can honestly say it is the only time that I have attended an away game and feared for my family’s safety. Their fans were absolutely abysmal. I want nothing but a pox on that program.

Delusional.
Yeah Cous. ALL of my friends in the northeast are crazy about football. Pro football. If I asked 10 of them? MAYBE 1 guy could name someone on BCs roster. Only cuz he's a football coach. After Flutie? Most can't name a single BC player, EVER. Its like naming a player in the arena league. Completely irrelevant.

When BC was ranked #2 in 2007? I had no freaking idea. No one cared. It wasnt on sports radio, which I listen to ALL DAY. No amount of marketing is going to make people care. Maybe if they win back to back National Championships they'll be allowed to talk about them. Still don't know if that's enough.

Give up on the dream, Cous. Yukon and UMass will NEVER be ANYTHING in football.

Congrats. This might be your most insane post ever.
This can not be my most insane post. I don't think any program has gone all in on the portal, I think UCONN might. The results will be interesting.

Their board is hilarious. Posters complaining that ESPN should have MADE the ACC take UConn because ESPN is located in Connecticut and the state is giving ESPN tax breaks. ESPN owes it to UConn to be in the ACC. Doesn’t matter that they weren’t wanted and their football program is a complete bottom feeder.
Remember how mad they were that “Requiem for the Big East” - a documentary 99% focused on the 1980s Big East(when they stunk), didn’t really talk about them?

They’re not very bright, and at least a little bit crazy it seems.

This can not be my most insane post. I don't think any program has gone all in on the portal, I think UCONN might. The results will be interesting.
What are they going to sell? You can come here and tip cows, get good seats to the women’s b-ball games, and play for a guy whose dad made the famous “playofffffffs!?” rant?

What is their pitch to players in the portal?
" I coached in the NFL and I know what it takes and what is expected to get there and you will get starting and or playing time from day 1".

What are they going to sell? You can come here and tip cows, get good seats to the women’s b-ball games, and play for a guy whose dad made the famous “playofffffffs!?” rant?
What about the Mac and cheese?

" I coached in the NFL and I know what it takes and what is expected to get there and you will get starting and or playing time from day 1".
Sounds good, where do you play your home games?

So did Greg Robinson.
Gerg was never an HC in the NFL and he was never an HC of a major college program where he was very successful and got undermined by some of the most entitled people anywhere.

Gerg was never an HC in the NFL and he was never an HC of a major college program where he was very successful and got undermined by some of the most entitled people anywhere.
Fair.

He was a DC for a Super Bowl champion though. It’s not like he didn’t have a good resume to flash to recruits.

It’s a lot harder to make UConn relevant now than it would’ve been to win at Syracuse in the Big East.

Fair.

He was a DC for a Super Bowl champion though. It’s not like he didn’t have a good resume to flash to recruits.

It’s a lot harder to make UConn relevant now than it would’ve been to win at Syracuse in the Big East.
I think an NFL coach is going to look at the portal as unrestricted free agency with no strings attached.

I think an NFL coach is going to look at the portal as unrestricted free agency with no strings attached.
Cool. Hope he saved his NFL money, made the right investments, got lucky on some bets, and is ready to spend it all out of his own pockets…..because otherwise, it ain’t happening.

Cool. Hope he saved his NFL money, made the right investments, got lucky on some bets, and is ready to spend it all out of his own pockets…..because otherwise, it ain’t happening.
I honestly did not think UCONN would get a coach of his calibre. His getting fired by UCLA is an indictment of their stupidity, he couldn't beat USC so let's run him of L.A. Really somewhat shocked UCONN pulled this off.

I honestly did not think UCONN would get a coach of his calibre. His getting fired by UCLA is an indictment of their stupidity, he couldn't beat USC so let's run him of L.A. Really somewhat shocked UCONN pulled this off.

Can you explain why he hasn’t coached in 4 years?

Can you explain why he hasn’t coached in 4 years?
He was getting paid by UCLA. If he took another coaching job, he would have lost that. He did dome commentary work and double dipped. His UCLA contract runs out 1/22.

I attended an SU Football game at UConn and I can honestly say it is the only time that I have attended an away game and feared for my family’s safety. Their fans were absolutely abysmal. I want nothing but a pox on that program.
I went to the one in 2016 at the rent

Rode the team bus in and was treated to the best hospitality a UConn fan can give ... And by best, I mean worst display of sportsmanship around

Wife and I definitely got some heat in the stands

Very unwelcoming and the ride there from the team hotel sucked

He was getting paid by UCLA. If he took another coaching job, he would have lost that. He did dome commentary work and double dipped. His UCLA contract runs out 1/22.

Do you know of many other HCs worth a damn that sat out 4 years? And if he sat out because he was getting paid and his contract runs out 1/22 why did he already take a job with UConn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom