The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Why a change on D? At least they did OK 2 of 3 seasons. On the other hand Lester, with a much more experienced offense, is worse on virtually every metric (in 2013) than the guy they fired.

I would say it should be reversed.
the metrics are flawed this year as our defense cant get a stop on 3rd down forcing less possessions on offense

Must be nice to be an SEC fanbase where winning an average of 8.5 wins a yr doesnt cut it. Les we would take that and be happier than a pig in sh**

That's all well and good. But no matter where your expectations were - this season is a disappointment in that we should be improving even against better comp. That's where this staff lost me. I expected to lose vs FSU and Louisville... But not so by much and not by looking like we regressed.

the only games this year that the margin was disappointing was the South Florida Game and Louisville game objectively. The Fsu game we made serious strides from playing down there in 2013 ,same with the Clemson game as even their coach admitted. We are 2 games off schedule as we should of one the Virginia game and Pitt game. We are improving as a total team and i think Shafer has gotten a little better at being head coach,not head d coordinator. The offensive system by lester fits our team much better than the prior offense. I think next year we should see serious progress if we maintain the status quo In the beginning of the season i thought 6 wins was very doable but i was also counting on our offensive line being a strength with all players having experience coming back and as it turns out its probably been our most disappointing unit on the team. Everyone knew our secondary would be suspect this year. The fact that the freshman and sophmores are beating our there upper classmates in a lot of spots is a reason i think staying the course could be the play. I can see the other side of the argument because if you look at straight wins and losses we have regressed but not mentioned is how we were very fortunate to win 7 games in 2013 when talent level was closer to 4 or 5 win teams. 2014 team was decimated by injuries.

Chris02M said:
the only games this year that the margin was disappointing was the South Florida Game and Louisville game objectively. The Fsu game we made serious strides from playing down there in 2013 ,same with the Clemson game as even their coach admitted. We are 2 games off schedule as we should of one the Virginia game and Pitt game. We are improving as a total team and i think Shafer has gotten a little better at being head coach,not head d coordinator. The offensive system by lester fits our team much better than the prior offense. I think next year we should see serious progress if we maintain the status quo In the beginning of the season i thought 6 wins was very doable but i was also counting on our offensive line being a strength with all players having experience coming back and as it turns out its probably been our most disappointing unit on the team. Everyone knew our secondary would be suspect this year. The fact that the freshman and sophmores are beating our there upper classmates in a lot of spots is a reason i think staying the course could be the play. I can see the other side of the argument because if you look at straight wins and losses we have regressed but not mentioned is how we were very fortunate to win 7 games in 2013 when talent level was closer to 4 or 5 win teams. 2014 team was decimated by injuries.

I'm well familiar with all of those arguments - ask anyone here.

The regression of the offense from somewhat hopeful and dynamic to consistently bad did me in.

the metrics are flawed this year as our defense cant get a stop on 3rd down forcing less possessions on offense
Possessions would affect totals but not averages. Besides, you can't blame it all on the defense. We were 5th best in turnover margin. We are 11th in 3rd down conversions @ 35%.

We are next to last in passing yards per attempt and 7th in yards per rush. We are 11th in average yards per play.

We basically run a version of a youth football offense with option plays grafted on. Nobody else runs it. It it worked that would be an advantage, but it isn't working. The more we play it the less effective it will be. More teams have shut it down in the second half than not.

Possessions would affect totals but not averages. Besides, you can't blame it all on the defense. We were 5th best in turnover margin. We are 11th in 3rd down conversions @ 35%.

We are next to last in passing yards per attempt and 7th in yards per rush. We are 11th in average yards per play.

We basically run a version of a youth football offense with option plays grafted on. Nobody else runs it. It it worked that would be an advantage, but it isn't working. The more we play it the less effective it will be. More teams have shut it down in the second half than not.
best defense we have played this year didnt stop int in half two though

Maybe it's me, but Rhule is not at the top of my list. We need an absurd offense inside that Dome to get the fans back. Tack on a good DC who can do OK and we got ourselves a winner.

I generally agree, Rhule's one of the only D guys I like. Turning Temple into what they are is no easy feat, and Northeastern ties and recruiting, while not the be all end all, are nice.

best defense we have played this year didnt stop it in half two though
i think you misunderstood what i was saying... i was saying clemson who is the best defensive team we have played this year didnt really slow the option attack down in half 2

Chris02M said:
i think you misunderstood what i was saying... i was saying clemson who is the best defensive team we have played this year didnt really slow the option attack down in half 2

Do you always disagree with yourself ;)?

Just an FYI

UConn is 5-5 under Bob Diaco after going 2-10 last year

That game next year ...

Just an FYI

UConn is 5-5 under Bob Diaco after going 2-10 last year

That game next year ...

Yep not an easy game anymore. Diaco is doing a really good job after P buried them. He would be an interesting guy for Coyle to consider.

Yep not an easy game anymore. Diaco is doing a really good job after P buried them. He would be an interesting guy for Coyle to consider.
what do you mean after P buried them, didn't you know thems fighting words here my friend...;)

It's not a question of whether Les Miles would consider Syracuse as a HC, because we all know he would not.

The question is (for sake of argument), if Les did want to come here, but like everyone else wants to be paid, would Syracuse pay the 7-8 million per year that it would take to get him and his staff here? Would they pay 7-8M for the high probability that he would be successful?

Or would they pay 1.5 million to bring in another defensive coordinator as HC.

It's not a question of whether Les Miles would consider Syracuse as a HC, because we all know he would not.

The question is (for sake of argument), if Les did want to come here, but like everyone else wants to be paid, would Syracuse pay the 7-8 million per year that it would take to get him and his staff here? Would they pay 7-8M for the high probability that he would be successful?

Or would they pay 1.5 million to bring in another defensive coordinator as HC.

I don't think they would pay $7-8 million/year even if they could reincarnate Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant. I do think they would be willing to open up their pockets more than what is currently being paid. How much is the question...

After last night's drubbing, I really like Matt Campbell at Toledo who put the boots to Dino Babers and Bowling Green. I still really like Babers, but I love Campbell. We need to pony up over $2 mil/year to compete with these other schools for these types of guys.

I don't think they would pay $7-8 million/year even if they could reincarnate Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant. I do think they would be willing to open up their pockets more than what is currently being paid. How much is the question...

After last night's drubbing, I really like Matt Campbell at Toledo who put the boots to Dino Babers and Bowling Green. I still really like Babers, but I love Campbell. We need to pony up over $2 mil/year to compete with these other schools for these types of guys.

Finance people, help me here. 7 million is a lot. Those making it, Urban, Harbaugh, Saban (although I think even he is at like 5 mil) etc., almost guarantee you successful BCS championship seasons, granted they are at the factories. Coach K makes 9 million and has won 5 championships in 12 FF's. Doesn't it make sense to pay top dollar with the idea, you recoup that money through success. I get paying on the cheap to expand your margins, but given our lack of success in that method over the last many years, something ain't working. I'm not suggesting trying to compete with the factories either, but what about paying 3 million for a head coach. Should be very possible. And to those that think Hop isn't going to command that much if he show's early success, they are crazy. While JB has been generous with his salary demands, he hasn't won like Coach K, Calhoun, or even Slicky Ricky.

The syracusefan.com coaching jinx is in full effect. Rhule was on the A list and then Temple got a woodshed beating from So. Fla. Now the A-1 forum favorite Babers and his high octane offense got spanked last night (QB had a QBR of 49 in the game) while scoring the same amount of points we did against Clemson. Who's next to fall? Where is that list again?