The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Shady was in to see the Browns today. Word on the rutgers board is that they are waiting to see if he gets the job before they offer old DC, Robb Smith. The other option being Spaziani, which wouldn't be terrible.

Only Rutgers takes 7 weeks to hire a DC with 2 weeks until signing day. Letting a mediocre DC candidate hold them hostage is such a Rutgers move. Very fun to watch the implosion. And I haven't even heard a name in regards to their OC. Clearly candidates know that Flood is on his way out and they're having a problem hiring a warm body

And Farrell, the Rutgers-fan-in-Journo-disguise just put out a rather scathing article about the current recruiting issues, Blacknell and Flood's flip flopping on treating recruits. It was delicious.

"Obviously they have to hang on to Blacknall and I don't know if they will," national analyst Mike Farrell said. "Penn State is very tempting. James Franklin is a terrific recruiter and that's close to home just like Rutgers so if they hold on to him that will be important. If they don't, they will have lost every four-star recruit they had, and that's just disappointing to the point of embarrassing. This isn't a horrible class, but it could have been so much better. That's the disappointing aspect of it.
"Rutgers has made its own bed," Farrell said. "This whole recruiting thing where Flood said, 'If you visit you are out and not committed anymore,' but then when Hilliman did it he was still committed and then Blacknall visited Penn State last week, so why isn't he dropped? They've made so many mistakes in recruiting this year ? and it's led to guys like (Adonis) Jennings and Hilliman and (Kiy) Hester leaving ? that they can't get out of their own way."
"He has one season to really make a splash there. A vote of confidence means you've got one more year to figure this stuff out or you're gone. Period," Farrell said. "If they have a disappointing year in the Big Ten and start off horribly, everybody is going to say they could only be fairly good in the Big East or the AAC. They're not ready for primetime. That's going to be used against them and recruiting will suffer and the state of New Jersey will be wide open."

He continued, "There will be damages at that point. You have two bad recruiting years in a row and it can set your program back five years easily. You just are not as big, strong, and fast as everybody who did have good recruiting years and you really struggle."

http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/ru...ys-to-rutgers-football-recruiting-evaluations

"Obviously they have to hang on to Blacknall and I don't know if they will," national analyst Mike Farrell said. "Penn State is very tempting. James Franklin is a terrific recruiter and that's close to home just like Rutgers so if they hold on to him that will be important. If they don't, they will have lost every four-star recruit they had, and that's just disappointing to the point of embarrassing. This isn't a horrible class, but it could have been so much better. That's the disappointing aspect of it.
"Rutgers has made its own bed," Farrell said. "This whole recruiting thing where Flood said, 'If you visit you are out and not committed anymore,' but then when Hilliman did it he was still committed and then Blacknall visited Penn State last week, so why isn't he dropped? They've made so many mistakes in recruiting this year ? and it's led to guys like (Adonis) Jennings and Hilliman and (Kiy) Hester leaving ? that they can't get out of their own way."
"He has one season to really make a splash there. A vote of confidence means you've got one more year to figure this stuff out or you're gone. Period," Farrell said. "If they have a disappointing year in the Big Ten and start off horribly, everybody is going to say they could only be fairly good in the Big East or the AAC. They're not ready for primetime. That's going to be used against them and recruiting will suffer and the state of New Jersey will be wide open."

He continued, "There will be damages at that point. You have two bad recruiting years in a row and it can set your program back five years easily. You just are not as big, strong, and fast as everybody who did have good recruiting years and you really struggle."

http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/ru...ys-to-rutgers-football-recruiting-evaluations

and just think just 3 short months ago Syracuse was in their "rear view mirror." Only Rutgers

And Farrell, the Rutgers-fan-in-Journo-disguise just put out a rather scathing article about the current recruiting issues, Blacknell and Flood's flip flopping on treating recruits. It was delicious.

I thought Farrell was a BC stooge

It is ironic that Rutgers is so close to the Meadowlands where real players work their butts off to play at the highest level yet Rutgers behaves like Broadway waiting around for magic to happen while they sing a song and dance a dance. I'll take hard nosed hard work to drama all day every day and twice on Sunday.

I honestly don’t think Farrell pumps Rutgers at all. What’s happened is the Rutgers rvls site has several thousand subscribers – it makes a lot of money – and their writers/admins have a lot of pull. They may even have admins contributing to NJ or NE rankings. The site is heavily influenced by rankings, I mean they win a lot of football games (based on recruit ratings) during the off season.

In fact, in an effort to keep their class afloat they had a couple of commits bumped yesterday from 2 stars to 3 stars for no reason at all – and thus their team ranking went up to #41. The whole thing is a sham, but I don’t believe Farrell has anything to do with it.

Buttgers got a db commit yesterday who’s not rated by rvls yet. I’ll be curious to see where he comes in at. Reported and debated late offers from Illinois, Indiana to go with butts. kid was previously committed to like weber state.

Last edited:
PhatOrange said:
In fact, in an effort to keep their class afloat they had a couple of commits bumped yesterday from 2 stars to 3 stars for no reason at all

That's not how it works. They didn't just bump up a couple of rutgirls kids for the heck of it. They updated their positional rankings for everyone yesterday. Rankings drive stars. There are so many 5 stars, 4 stars etc. So many players may have had a change in stars but most don't. It wasn't just a couple of rutgirls kids.

I honestly don’t think Farrell pumps Rutgers at all. What’s happened is the Rutgers rvls site has several thousand subscribers – it makes a lot of money – and their writers/admins have a lot of pull. They may even have admins contributing to NJ or NE rankings. The site is heavily influenced by rankings, I mean they win a lot of football games (based on recruit ratings) during the off season.

In fact, in an effort to keep their class afloat they had a couple of commits bumped yesterday from 2 stars to 3 stars for no reason at all – and thus their team ranking went up to #41. The whole thing is a sham, but I don’t believe Farrell has anything to do with it.

Buttgers got a db commit yesterday who’s not rated by rvls yet. I’ll be curious to see where he comes in at. Reported (late) offers from Illinois, Indiana to go with butts.
It's that Dohn guy from Scoout that seems to think he's a Rutgers recruiting assistant.

Buttgers got a db commit yesterday who’s not rated by rvls yet. I’ll be curious to see where he comes in at. Reported (late) offers from Illinois, Indiana to go with butts.
Wow, upon closer inspection it seems fairly blatant. For starters, the Rvls RU site contains a separate listing for Jan. enrolees ("Signed Letter of Intent"), which their SU page doesn't. When you look more closely at the RU 3 Star/NR recruits, many of them have incredibly weak offers; Lister, Russell, Waife, Bedell, Hampton and Webb stand out.

At the end of the day, the performance of RU recruits on the field speaks for itself.

Last edited:
JoeSU said:
Wow, upon closer inspection it seems fairly blatant. For starters, the Rvls RU site contains a separate listing for Jan. enrolees ("Signed Letter of Intent"), which their SU page doesn't. When you look more closely at the RU 3 Star/NR recruits, many of them have incredibly weak offers; Lister, Russell, Waife, Bedell, Hampton and Webb stand out. At the end of the day, the RU performance of RU recruits on the field speaks for itself.

The specific site owner determines what goes on the front page.

At the end of the day, the RU performance of RU recruits on the field speaks for itself.

This x1000. Paper looks good but results are measured on the field.

Buttgers got a db commit yesterday who’s not rated by rvls yet. I’ll be curious to see where he comes in at. Reported and debated late offers from Illinois, Indiana to go with butts. kid was previously committed to like weber state.
As most of us know Farrell is a BC shill. Evidenced by the discrepancy when comparing BC's ranking in the two major scouting services. I'm not sure you can find a bigger difference across all college teams.

Ryvals = 36th
Skout = 57th

Contrary to his intentions, Farrell isn't doing BC any favors by inflating the perception of their recruiting classes every year. Then again, when you have almost zero fan base...raising expectations probably isn't an issue.

That's not how it works. They didn't just bump up a couple of rutgirls kids for the heck of it. They updated their positional rankings for everyone yesterday. Rankings drive stars. There are so many 5 stars, 4 stars etc. So many players may have had a change in stars but most don't. It wasn't just a couple of rutgirls kids.

what are you saying - that's not how what works?

rutgers got 2* kids bumped up yesterday. syracuse didn't. that would be dawson, bennett, rodney williams and erv phillips. Our kids overall are slighted on the numeric rating as well.

rutgers commits are dogs yet they keep moving up the rankings. the slow fat kid jacquis webb down in rochester is rated the same as aaron roberts please.

slayton is a 5.6 , thats ridiculous. he should be a 5.7 and pushing 4 stars. the kid is a beast but because they dont put him in the top 30 he's a 5.6. Funny the #29 kid is going to ND, bang 5.7

Joe is also right. Syracuse mid-year enrollees are not split out. Rutgers are. Has nothing to do with the front page. go click committments link. maybe that's a page admin thing fine.

if you go through their recruits one by one they have inflated rankings. Its quite simple and considering they have probably the 2nd highest subscribers behind Ped State it makes sense. It's all a sham.

does rvls list the people who do all the ratings for each region? i haven't ever bothered to look.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but isn't Brian Dohn (scowt) a recruiting analyst for the Northeast? Wasn't he a Rutgers forum admin or site publisher at one point? And prior to that a newspaper reporter? If so, I find it quite odd that's he responsible for evaluating football talent.

I could be wrong, but isn't Brian Dohn (scowt) a recruiting analyst for the Northeast? Wasn't he a Rutgers forum admin or site publisher at one point? And prior to that a newspaper reporter? If so, I find it quite odd that's he responsible for evaluating football talent.

yes i believe that's true.

Whether it's Rvls or Skout, the sites are well known for putting people with clear conflicts in position of influence over their site ratings. Now with the 4 and 5 star guys, in general, it probably doesn't have that much impact. But the 2/3 star more subjective rankings, it clearly has an impact. We saw it with Bob L. and we saw it with Farrel.

In my opinion, if you are doing a ranking or rating, there should be justification for that ranking on a recruit's profile. For better or for worse, people can at least get a sense of why a recruit is being ranked a certain way against all of their peers. Without that, it leaves things wide open for speculation and conspiracy theories on the part of subscribers.

Only Rutgers takes 7 weeks to hire a DC with 2 weeks until signing day. Letting a mediocre DC candidate hold them hostage is such a Rutgers move. Very fun to watch the implosion. And I haven't even heard a name in regards to their OC. Clearly candidates know that Flood is on his way out and they're having a problem hiring a warm body

It's actually very shrewd on their part. They know the next guy they hire will be found guilty of or accused of something really stupid like assaulting players, or making them run naked wind sprints accords the campus. So if they wait right up until signing day, the close the gap and avoid having it all become public befor LOI day.

That's why I like the ESPN board much better, at least on the players they have seen they have an analysis of the player. The analysis includes players strengths, and weakness.

PhatOrange said:
what are you saying - that's not how what works? rutgers got 2* kids bumped up yesterday. syracuse didn't. that would be dawson, bennett, rodney williams and erv phillips. Our kids overall are slighted on the numeric rating as well. rutgers commits are dogs yet they keep moving up the rankings. the slow fat kid jacquis webb down in rochester is rated the same as aaron roberts please. slayton is a 5.6 , thats ridiculous. he should be a 5.7 and pushing 4 stars. the kid is a beast but because they dont put him in the top 30 he's a 5.6. Funny the #29 kid is going to ND, bang 5.7 Joe is also right. Syracuse mid-year enrollees are not split out. Rutgers are. Has nothing to do with the front page. go click committments link. maybe that's a page admin thing fine. if you go through their recruits one by one they have inflated rankings. Its quite simple and considering they have probably the 2nd highest subscribers behind Ped State it makes sense. It's all a sham. does rvls list the people who do all the ratings for each region? i haven't ever bothered to look.

You said in an effort to keep rutgirls class afloat they bumped a couple of their kids. That is wrong. All their national rankings got updated across board. They didn't change anything just for rutgers to keep their class afloat. Obviously it impacted some rutgirls kids as it did others across the country.