The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 268 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

From the Rutgers board:

Screenshot_2018-09-16 Poll Who put the worst product on the field in Year 3 of their tenure Th...png

Even when we were the shock and horror show unders Gergs, at least we had a history to fall back on and to rekindle from for hope for the future...

What has rutgers got? A better than average couple season from bucktoothgap shady as a high water mark of hope??

Deep down, that has to be as depressing as it gets.

First off, congrats on the win. My wife's friend (fellow FSU alum) actually came into the city for a work event so we went in and met up with them and didn't make it up for the game. I only got to watch the first half but saw highlights. Your D played much better than I thought. But to Texan and company, thanks again for offering to hook us up!

As for RU, the wait and see approach with Ash is over. Guy is a dud. He probably stays until the end of the 2019 season by which time the administration will have seen enough and will be forced to eat whatever buyout he has. Unless he quits at the end of this season which isn't entirely out of the question IMO. The post-RU careers of coaches in RU football head coaching graveyard who have been fired isn't pretty. G-Rob had a better pre-Syracuse resume to fall back on than Ash's pre-Rutgers resume. I know a couple of P5 assistants in the B1G, one of whom is familiar with CA and he told me over the summer he's miserable there and thinks he ends up resigning.

Congrats again on the win fellas. Good luck the rest of the way. See you in Tallahassee next year!

First off, congrats on the win. My wife's friend (fellow FSU alum) actually came into the city for a work event so we went in and met up with them and didn't make it up for the game. I only got to watch the first half but saw highlights. Your D played much better than I thought. But to Texan and company, thanks again for offering to hook us up!

As for RU, the wait and see approach with Ash is over. Guy is a dud. He probably stays until the end of the 2019 season by which time the administration will have seen enough and will be forced to eat whatever buyout he has. Unless he quits at the end of this season which isn't entirely out of the question IMO. The post-RU careers of coaches in RU football head coaching graveyard who have been fired isn't pretty. G-Rob had a better pre-Syracuse resume to fall back on than Ash's pre-Rutgers resume. I know a couple of P5 assistants in the B1G, one of whom is familiar with CA and he told me over the summer he's miserable there and thinks he ends up resigning.

Congrats again on the win fellas. Good luck the rest of the way. See you in Tallahassee next year!

So there's a chance Ash is going to quit on the team? That would be an interesting case of turnabout is fair play.

I know a couple of P5 assistants in the B1G, one of whom is familiar with CA and he told me over the summer he's miserable there and thinks he ends up resigning.

This statement supports every candid photo i have seen of CA. Guy constantly looks like he's about to cry.

That said, David Chappell is the only person that walks away from eight figures.

So much Schadenfreude... so much.

This statement supports every candid photo i have seen of CA. Guy constantly looks like he's about to cry.

That said, David Chappell is the only person that walks away from eight figures.

So much Schadenfreude... so much.

Where are you getting eight figures from? I think with the extension it's $9M total.

If I'm the AD, i offer to pay him through his original contract (end of 2019) and recommend him for a P5 DC/Co-DC job somewhere that pays well (like in the SEC). He gets to walk away on "his terms". If he stays and fights for the buyout while continuing to crash and burn the program, his FBS coaching career is likely over. Maybe he's cool taking his "8 figures" and going back to being the DB coach at Drake but I highly doubt that.

I'm kind of fascinated by whatever it is that makes a coach so bad.

Why is Ash so unsuccessful?

Thats career suicide if he quits. He would be a coordinator again but people will always think of him as a quitter when things get tough. I met Ash and had a 2 minute talk with him. Nice guy and he obviously knows football. Rutgers is just a tough place to do it at.

If I'm the AD, i offer to pay him through his original contract (end of 2019) and recommend him for a P5 DC/Co-DC job somewhere that pays well (like in the SEC). He gets to walk away on "his terms".

A hobbs recommendation is meaningless.

Thats career suicide if he quits. He would be a coordinator again but people will always think of him as a quitter when things get tough. I met Ash and had a 2 minute talk with him. Nice guy and he obviously knows football. Rutgers is just a tough place to do it at.

Good point Money. But, would you rather be the Co-DC at say Florida or the HC at Rutgers? Most in the coaching fraternity would understand if he leaves. It's an impossible job that no one wants.

A hobbs recommendation is meaningless.

True. But if he stays and makes a stink like Flood, a Hobbs "don't hire this guy" will go a long way.

Kyle Flood now fetches coffee for the Atlanta Falcons coaching staff. I'm sure he's fine with that being a former math teacher and all. I don't think Ash would want to be in that position. Who knows? Perhaps I'm looking at this wrong even from a coach's perspective.

How many NJ QB's that Rutgers "passed" on are getting reps as FBS/FCS QBs elsewhere...

Off the top of my head...

Brown (BC)
Devito (#2 SU)
Russo (Temple)
Guarantano (#2 Tenn)
Lewis (#3 Rutgers)

As my man from Indiana Jones once said...
ckm9o.jpg

Good point Money. But, would you rather be the Co-DC at say Florida or the HC at Rutgers? Most in the coaching fraternity would understand if he leaves. It's an impossible job that no one wants.

Ash's first OC went from OC at Rutgers to Pass Coordinator at Texas. That was a demotion and he "quit"

I get it.

Delany lokks like a Jac--ss for adding Rutgers, and Maryland to the Big Ten. Thank God we don't have him as a Commisioner.
No. He kept PSU. RU and UMD were the cost that he had to pay. NOBODY was under ANY illusion that either school would have their act together. UMD was in a fiscal mess, and making a move that would burn fan goodwill, and RU was, is, and always be a train wreck because of NYC’s shadow.

Ash's first OC went from OC at Rutgers to Pass Coordinator at Texas. That was a demotion and he "quit"

Herman was the one who recommended him to Ash in the first place. Ash didn't want to fire the kid outright so he made sure he was set up for a good job. So it was "mutual" parting of the ways.

How many NJ QB's that Rutgers "passed" on are getting reps as FBS/FCS QBs elsewhere...

Brown (BC)
Devito (#2 SU)
Russo (Temple)
Guarantano (#2 Tenn)
Lewis (#3 Rutgers)

ckm9o.jpg
Pickett is playing well at Pitt. He's a jersey kid and Flacco transferred to Towson and is tearing it up there.

Honestly, I think Ash is there until the end of 2019 unless they show a pulse next year which I sincerely doubt is going to happen. Schiano was able to con his way to year 5 because at that point in time, from a facilities and marketing standpoint it really was a 5-year rebuild. This shouldn't have been. They should at least be 5-7 by next year (year 4) and that's not going to happen.

Last edited:
head coach quitting is a little different though. Plus its been known that rutgers was a 5-6 year rebuild.

What I don't understand is why Rutgers is a 5-6 year rebuild with the talent in NJ.

Brown (BC)
Devito (#2 SU)
Russo (Temple)
Guarantano (#2 Tenn)
Lewis (#3 Rutgers)

ckm9o.jpg
And their fans had a whole thread about how Lewis was going to be better than Tommy lol... Kid can't even beat out a true freshman that didn't start at his High School

What I don't understand is why Rutgers is a 5-6 year rebuild with the talent in NJ.
Because the best players refuse to go there. Rutgers gets the 2nd and 3rd tier guys from NJ. Cuse get the 2nd tier NY players but we don't rely on them for success like Rutgers do.