The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

WickedOrange said:
ESPN Zone NYC has been closed for a while. They must go somewhere else in the city now.

When they did take them there. Used to be the highlight for many. Did not know it has since closed.

I get that it is in RU's best interests to push its "proximity" to NYC. And I would assume that fans of opposing teams are going to stay in NYC hotels when going to a game at RU. (After all, why stay in a NJ hotel on your visit when you are so "close" to NYC?) But I think that those visiting fans are going to find out the hard way that staying in NYC is going to be a bitch when you are trying to get to the game in NJ.

Below is the NJ Transit rail schedule for 9/6, which is the date of RU's first home game against Howard. Fans are, firstly, going to have to get to Penn Station from their hotel. Then they have to take an hour-long train ride to get to New Brunswick, then take a cab to the stadium. It's almost not worth the time.

Would you suggest that fans of opposing teams who are coming to the Dome should stay in Binghamton? Of course not. But that's nearly the equivalent of what visiting fans are going to have to do when going to a game at RU.

Origin
Departure
spacer.gif

Destination
Arrival
spacer.gif

Total Travel
Time

05:14 AM
Northeast Corridor #781306:11 AM57 minutes
06:13 AM
Northeast Corridor #781707:13 AM60 minutes
07:14 AM
Northeast Corridor #782108:11 AM57 minutes
08:14 AM
Northeast Corridor #782509:11 AM57 minutes
09:14 AM
Northeast Corridor #782910:11 AM57 minutes
10:14 AM
Northeast Corridor #783311:11 AM57 minutes
11:14 AM
Northeast Corridor #783712:11 PM57 minutes
12:14 PM
Northeast Corridor #784101:11 PM57 minutes
01:14 PM
Northeast Corridor #784502:11 PM57 minutes
01:55 PM
Northeast Corridor #784702:48 PM53 minutes
02:14 PM
Northeast Corridor #784903:11 PM57 minutes
02:55 PM
Northeast Corridor #785103:49 PM54 minutes
03:15 PM
Northeast Corridor #785304:12 PM57 minutes
03:52 PM
Northeast Corridor #785504:45 PM53 minutes
04:14 PM
Northeast Corridor #785705:13 PM59 minutes

38 miles from The City That Never Sleeps, Rutgers goes B1G

Conference commissioner Jim Delany was there, dressed as if he were attending the wedding of some family friend he didn't know all that well. And, much like a governor in a district he's not worried about winning, Delany received his gift from the school, took a few pictures, spoke for 45 seconds at most, and left.

I get that it is in RU's best interests to push its "proximity" to NYC. And I would assume that fans of opposing teams are going to stay in NYC hotels when going to a game at RU. (After all, why stay in a NJ hotel on your visit when you are so "close" to NYC?) But I think that those visiting fans are going to find out the hard way that staying in NYC is going to be a bitch when you are trying to get to the game in NJ.

Below is the NJ Transit rail schedule for 9/6, which is the date of RU's first home game against Howard. Fans are, firstly, going to have to get to Penn Station from their hotel. Then they have to take an hour-long train ride to get to New Brunswick, then take a cab to the stadium. It's almost not worth the time.

Would you suggest that fans of opposing teams who are coming to the Dome should stay in Binghamton? Of course not. But that's nearly the equivalent of what visiting fans are going to have to do when going to a game at RU.

Origin
Departure
spacer.gif

Destination
Arrival
spacer.gif

Total Travel
Time

I took the train to from penn station to rutgers back in 1997, to see them play Texas.

I don't remember taking a cab. I think we walked to the stadium. The trip is not that bad. The issue is if you don't know anyone tailgating, you're pretty much left out of the tailgating scene. There's no Marshall street.

38 miles from The City That Never Sleeps, Rutgers goes B1G

Toward the end of the proceedings, when head football coach Kyle Flood took the stage, he led the crowd in a chant of "R" and "U," urging the fans to be loud enough that their neighbors to the South and West could hear them. New York City was 38 miles to his East. Nobody in the crowd seemed to notice the omission.

The irony is that the City That Never Sleeps doesn't even know Rutgers exists, let alone 38 miles away.

"Big Ten Network president Mark Silverman announced that the Rutgers-Penn State game on September 13 would mark the first-ever road trip for BTN's studio show. One suspects that the conference is more concerned with proving to advertisers that New York City is a Big Ten Network town, rather than a Rutgers one."

The second sentence was written by someone in some serious delirium. If the BTN is trying to prove that NYC is more their town than Rutgers's town, that is like an admission of defeat because the bar is set so low.

Pandemonium in Piscataway. Does anyone outside of Piscataway even remember (O.K. Louisville probably cringes over that game)?

Their highlights are all about the near misses. When they mention Rutger's Big East Championship, the conveniently leave out the fact that it was shared with three other teams, and the fact that it was their first Big East Championship. Even when they polish this turd, it still doesn't shine and it still stinks!

O.K., I'm done. I've seen pee wee football with better highlights and covering a shorter span of time, but I will let Rutgers have their moment in the sun.

Pandemonium in Piscataway. Does anyone outside of Piscataway even remember (O.K. Louisville probably cringes over that game)?

Their highlights are all about the near misses. When they mention Rutger's Big East Championship, the conveniently leave out the fact that it was shared with three other teams, and the fact that it was their first Big East Championship. Even when they polish this turd, it still doesn't shine and it still stinks!

O.K., I'm done. I've seen pee wee football with better highlights and covering a shorter span of time, but I will let Rutgers have their moment in the sun.

Of course, it was one of the great moments in sports history. Who could forget that night? Maybe the biggest college football game ever.

I watched the whole thing, just to see how they would spin their recent "success." What jumps out at you is that there really isn't much there. Yes, a run of bowls, but really over less than 10 years, and never an outright title. The signature wins in the modern era are that ones over Louisville (been there, done that) and the Texas Bowl (been there done that.) They claim we are so inferior, yet we could fill the 10 minutes of video with more real accomplishments.

I watched the whole thing, just to see how they would spin their recent "success." What jumps out at you is that there really isn't much there. Yes, a run of bowls, but really over less than 10 years, and never an outright title. The signature wins in the modern era are that ones over Louisville (been there, done that) and the Texas Bowl (been there done that.) They claim we are so inferior, yet we could fill the 10 minutes of video with more real accomplishments.

We need to add the Texas Bowl, win over Louisville and share of the Big East title. :)

Origin
Departure
spacer.gif

Destination
Arrival
spacer.gif

Total Travel
Time

from a girls fan who lives in NYC.
Re: syracuse reaction to BTN deals Reply

I REALLY REALLY hate to support anything those guys would write, but... It's not easy at all to take mass transit from NYC to HPSS. I did it for years, but finally started renting cars once I had kids. Here's the typical Saturday afternoon commute for someone who lives a couple stops from Penn, which would be 95% of NYC. It assumes no tailgating before or after and adds up to over 4 hours of commuting for a 3.5 hour game.

Walk 2 min to subway station
Wait 8 min for train (Saturday schedule)
10 min ride to Penn
5 min walk/wait to train
(You'll probably wait a LOT longer because only 1-2 trains go to NB an hour on Saturdays)
55 min train to NB that makes all local stops, since it's a weekend.
Walk 2 min to bus.
Wait 8 min for bus
10 min ride to Johnson park
5 min walk to stadium and your seats.

That's an hour and 45 min to get there. This is all assuming no issues with the subway, NJ transit, or the stadium bus.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Now going home is where it really sucks, because a lot more people will be waiting for the bus, less trains will be running, etc. I'll save you the time of reading the description, but it often took me over 2.5 hours. And that's when everything worked out perfectly like catching buses, trains, and subways as soon as I walked up.

HE'S GOT YOUR BACK

Of course, it was one of the great moments in sports history. Who could forget that night? Maybe the biggest college football game ever.

It was a seminal moment... a mass of absolutely moronic, college football know-nothing fans congealed to solidify the dumbest fanbase is D1A football history...

Instant legends built of the shoulders of a snake oil salesman... match made in heaven for north jersey, tbh...

And of course, this can never get enough airpaly:
http://videos.sportsgrid.com/video/mike-francesa-podcast-mp4/player?layout=&read_more=1" width="416" height="365" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"

Last edited:
It will be only a matter of time before the 'girl's crazies is demanding Christie to appoint Delaney to the port authority to speed the trains up AND not allow traffic back in NYC on game daze

It was a seminal moment... a mass of absolutely moronic, college football know-nothing fans congealed to solidify the dumbest fanbase is D1A football history...

Instant legends built of the shoulders of a snake oil salesman... match made in heaven for north jersey, tbh...

And of course, this can never get enough airpaly:
http://videos.sportsgrid.com/video/mike-francesa-podcast-mp4/player?layout=&read_more=1" width="416" height="365" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"

I wonder if this guy was in attendance that night

RutgersFinger.jpg