this is not a poll

• Poll choice...

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

OrangeDW

Living Legend
This sucks. What a pain in the ass. Game is on Friday, now it's Sunday, will it be on TV, etc.

If it feels like a hassel for me as a fan, I can imagine it's even more of one for the team.

And let's hope it's not windy, because then it's completely changing the game.

I don't like it. Dumb gimmick.

my biggest concern is safety:

they have already laid the court down, but they have postponed the game because it will probably rain . . . so, how sure are they that the surface will be safe? It's not just a matter of putting a tarp over the surface - what if moisture gets under the surface? it could perspire and lead to a suddenly slippery surface that wasn't there at the beginning of the game. You see this happen from time to time on dual purpose hockey/basketball courts. If someone turns an ankle or, god forbid, blows out a knee, people will be livid.

you guys sound like a bunch of old angry men..did you all vote for Romney? Let the kids have fun with this experience. Who really cares if you guys are annoyed with the schedule change? Did any of you purchase tickets to go to the game? Doubtful. Its something different and im glad our program is part of it.

you guys sound like a bunch of old angry men..did you all vote for Romney? Let the kids have fun with this experience. Who really cares if you guys are annoyed with the schedule change? Did any of you purchase tickets to go to the game? Doubtful. Its something different and im glad our program is part of it.

You want a special experience? Go to a Jimmy Buffett concert; otherwise Bball should be played indoors....I'm just waiting for the annual game at Rucker Park to start.

Purchase tickets? To go on a damn ship to watch a bball game? No. Not a chance. Thanks for bringing up another reason why it's a dumb gimmick...no type of atmosphere or crowd noise whatsoever.

they have already laid the court down, but they have postponed the game because it will probably rain . . . so, how sure are they that the surface will be safe? It's not just a matter of putting a tarp over the surface - what if moisture gets under the surface? it could perspire and lead to a suddenly slippery surface that wasn't there at the beginning of the game. You see this happen from time to time on dual purpose hockey/basketball courts. If someone turns an ankle or, god forbid, blows out a knee, people will be livid.
Spot on.

Bunch of Nancies in this thread. This game is a novelty and a privilege. This game is an inconvenience to you because you're not sure what channel it's on? Waaaaah. Next time, have Doctor Gross be sure to attach your binky securely to your onesie.

I have to drive hundreds of miles the one or two opportunities they are in a day's drive to see them play. I remember some of our Orange soldiers overseas coming to the board finding a way to catch the game online near enemy territory with IED's exploding nearby. That is inconvenience.

Bunch of Nancies in this thread. This game is a novelty and a privilege. This game is an inconvenience to you because you're not sure what channel it's on? Waaaaah. Next time, have Doctor Gross be sure to attach your binky securely to your onesie.
Probably the same people who thought it wasn't a good idea to play basketball games in the Carrier Dome. Thought we should play in Manley forever and ever. Good thing the internet wasn't around in the late 70's/early 80's.

Probably the same people who thought it wasn't a good idea to play basketball games in the Carrier Dome. Thought we should play in Manley forever and ever. Good thing the internet wasn't around in the late 70's/early 80's.

See Boeheim, James Arthur.

I have to drive hundreds of miles the one or two opportunities they are in a day's drive to see them play. I remember some of our Orange soldiers overseas coming to the board finding a way to catch the game online near enemy territory with IED's exploding nearby. That is inconvenience.

Oh no you have to drive hundreds of miles to see a basketball game? People in Africa have to walk that far to prevent themselves from being killed.

We can do this all day.

I think the game on a ship is a stupid gimmick that judging by the sponsorship issues and weak ticket sales "jumped the shark" after last years game. However, I don't begrudge the players wanting to play in it if they are truly fired up about it and don't have any complaints about inconvenience to me as a fan (that's easily solved by not planning to attend), it is what it is, but I do think its over hyped and kind of dopey.

And by the way, if you want it to be about honoring servicemen/women and giving something back to them, then hold the game in in a huge indoor arena (or outdoor court) on a base or near a base and give all servicemen/women that want to attend tickets. By holding it on the carrier I think you've probably severely limited the number that can be in attendance.

Aside from thinking its kind of dopey, my two biggest issues with the game are (i) as Moqui raised above, the unnecessarily heightened risk of injury and (ii) the possibility that the weather changes the dynamic and outcome of the game.

By the way I think the countdown clock needs to be changed.

I have no problem with this game or the venue, but Moqui's concerns about player safety are legitimate. I'm sure no one was considering the possibility of rain impacting the game when it was scheduled. Let's just get through the game with everyone healthy and move on.

That didn't stop them from putting giant decals on the courts last year which created a slick surface and caused at least one injury.

Don't kid yourselves. TV conflict was most certainly part of this decision, and frankly I'm a bit disgusted by that.

That didn't stop them from putting giant decals on the courts last year which created a slick surface and caused at least one injury.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Don't kid yourselves. TV conflict was most certainly part of this decision.

What TV conflict? You mean that not one national network picked up the Friday night game...surprise? How about the fact that the game is now being televised head to head with the NFL on Sunday afternoon, not much of a conflict there. Well at least the Giants, Bills and Chargers are all 1 p.m. ET games.

should be an exhibition game. but i guess ticket sales would really suck then.

What TV conflict? You mean that not one national network picked up the Friday night game...surprise? How about the fact that the game is now being televised head to head with the NFL on Sunday afternoon, not much of a conflict there. Well at least the Giants, Bills and Chargers are all 1 p.m. ET games.

What conflict? Even SU fans were having trouble finding out how to watch Friday's game... while Sunday's game will be broadcasted to over 90 million.

What conflict? Even SU fans were having trouble finding out how to watch Friday's game... while Sunday's game will be broadcasted to over 90 million.

I hadn't heard there was a change? Who picked it up that wasn't televising before?

I hadn't heard there was a change? Who picked it up that wasn't televising before?

Same, I didn't know that. Anyone?

I don't like novelties with my sports.

If that makes me a " nancy" to you, so be it.

I think you're a Nancy for getting worked up about my dislike of this dumb gimmick.

Hockey rinks have ice on them - there is no ice in San Diego.

Oh no you have to drive hundreds of miles to see a basketball game? People in Africa have to walk that far to prevent themselves from being killed.

We can do this all day.

Are these Africans being chased by Dick Vitale holding his glass eye in his hand and an empty socket while shouting "dipsey doo blood diamoroo! " I guess I just don't get your metaphor or what it has to do with basketball or entitled whining fans.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom