The Benny Hitch | Syracusefan.com

The Benny Hitch

I think its mostly on contested jumpers. Some of the open ones seem ok
The 3 later on looked ok. But it’s like he’s holding the shoot button too long in a video game. Yes, I’m not that old… but if you worked on it all summer and that’s what the final product is… ugh

The summer showed enough for me to know not to expect some gigantic leap from him.

He may have a game here or there because he's athletically gifted, but he isn't a great basketball player.

Do coaches look at shooting form while recruiting and assume it can be fixed? Seems it would be hard to break a horrible shooting form in college. No different than a QB with horrible form. Lowers the ceiling a lot.
Lol. I asked this same question in a separate thread . Two seconds looking at this kids shot would tell me No Chance

Do coaches look at shooting form while recruiting and assume it can be fixed? Seems it would be hard to break a horrible shooting form in college. No different than a QB with horrible form. Lowers the ceiling a lot.

The conventional wisdom is that you can teach skills; you can’t teach size and athleticism. We’ve had guys in the past who were so good in the zone that it negated their shortcomings on offense. Benny needs to be that.

Unless Benny can out jump whoever's defending him he's going to get his shot blocked quite a bit because its flat .... disappointed in not seeing more arc on his shot.

Unless Benny can out jump whoever's defending him he's going to get his shot blocked quite a bit because its flat ... disappointed in not seeing more arc on his shot.
I don’t even care about the arc. The hitch just ruins his shot. Can shoot a smooth line drive, if that makes sense.

The conventional wisdom is that you can teach skills; you can’t teach size and athleticism. We’ve had guys in the past who were so good in the zone that it negated their shortcomings on offense. Benny needs to be that.

Terrence Roberts comes to mind relative to maximum reasonable expectations at this point.

Forget is shot. He just doesn’t know how to play the game.

Boeheim banked the season on this guy drastically improving its crazy. When has he ever shown that kind of patience with a disappointing recruit?

I don't think fans should get on him though hopefully 3/4 Freshmen who can play on the wing are better than hm.

I think the team will be OK but not having any reliable shooters other than Girard who will be face guarded is going to hurt badly.

We had the following posted on this board about Benny before he played a second for us:

"The best skill he brings to the table is his jump shot. Its as smooth as any I've seen, and he makes shots at as high a percentage as I've ever seen a high school kid make."

Maybe the hitch came after?

We had the following posted on this board about Benny before he played a second for us:

"The best skill he brings to the table is his jump shot. Its as smooth as any I've seen, and he makes shots at as high a percentage as I've ever seen a high school kid make."

Or people just ball wash these kids in high school, check out the Marek recruiting thread for some laughs.

Watching some of the highlights I can find (they’re done at bad angles though) but his jump shot does look much less flat. It’s almost like he’s trying to “place” the ball instead of shooting it.

I don’t even care about the arc. The hitch just ruins his shot. Can shoot a smooth line drive, if that makes sense.
Track down videos of Jerry West. A flat shot that was as soft as a baby's behind.

No one has referred back to the Tyus Battle hitch yet? Interesting.
God bless Benny. I don't think Tyus has been mentioned because there is no comparison. I hope we can legitimately compare them one day.

I think him becoming Roberts would be a pipe dream. I'd have him more in line of a "poor-man's" Tyler Roberson
Whatever Benny is, I think it is going to be an uphill battle for him to live up to his Top 20 recruit level of expectation. It's unfortunate.

The 3 later on looked ok. But it’s like he’s holding the shoot button too long in a video game. Yes, I’m not that old… but if you worked on it all summer and that’s what the final product is… ugh

Huh. Usually I'll do a video game comparison for laughs, but this is pretty spot on.

He does shoot like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom