the best part of this whole thing is | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

the best part of this whole thing is

Not sure what to say to those who felt we were out. I haven't posted crap on here lately because it was mostly whining and complaining...no chance...lost 5 of 6...blah blah blah. Obviously a different committee with different priorities (i.e. key metrics) could have left us out. But I felt very good about our chances heading into Selection Sunday. I didn't get hung up on a loss to St Johns 3 months ago. I didn't get hung up on losing 5 of 6 (look at who we lost to and where). I didn't get hung up on losing to Pitt 3 times...sometimes a team is just a bad match up and they clearly are for us.

Guys like Bilas talk about the need to come up with standard metrics for selecting the field. I am all for that. I don't like the different talking points every year from each committee chair...some years its the 'eye test', some years its 'road wins', and on and on it goes.

Lunardi and these other frauds have to throw darts today since they look like schmucks. They are trying to justify their existence.

Heard Gotlieb on local radio today. Still thinks that SU shouldn't have gotten in, but picks them to beat Dayton.

Also, given the right opportunity, he would jump into the coaching ranks like his father and brother. I wonder how he'd deal with with all of the pundits.

People have always hated us. I think the majority of America hates Duke/UK more than any other school, but we're top 5 no doubt.

Between JB, the zone, the "cheating"

People have always hated us. I think the majority of America hates Duke/UK more than any other school, but we're top 5 no doubt.

Between JB, the zone, the "cheating"
People out here (Arizona) really hate Syracuse. East Coast bias/conspiracy, blah blah blah. I always happily respond with - your CONFERENCE hasn't won a title in 20 years.

I love the hate. Like Reggie said fans don't boo nobodies

Like some posters on this board too ;)

This gets a vote for the top 5 posts of the day(possibly week) list. I thought you'd have far more "likes", but I imagine a number of folks are considering if it applies to them.

(Now to be less humorous: It actually likely applies to a majority of society, at least part of the time, which is why many folks are drawn to certain less predictable personalities).

You obviously didn't read the posts on this topic through this weekend. It was obvious that if the committee used the same criteria as last season then they were getting in (unless they wanted to screw Boeheim again).

And Syracuse would have been in even if SMU/Louisville were eligible.

It was only obvious to many folks in hindsight. I'll be somewhat surprised if I read the rest of this thread and there isn't a reply to your post that says the same thing about you that you did about this member, being others on here don't have the restraint that I do. If they didn't, it's for lack of catching it, certainly not restraint. I'm not sure if anyone has an exact count, but a number of folks were certain we were out, a good many were close to certain, and very many thought it was very likely we were out. Only a tiny minority were certain or quite confident we were in. If it was indeed obvious to them, it wasn't to the vast majority. It's easier to re-write history if the folks youre preaching to weren't eye witnesses(eg the necessity of Germany currently having laws against free speech to silence witnesses to certain WW2 events).

weren't you in the selection game thread saying it's over after the Wich St./Vandy pairing was announced?

I grinned at that, but I'll avoid mocking corduroyg for backing down from his statement(Tom Petty wouldnt have approved!) that followed to OP in the "bold prediction", after only one region had been announced. Why? It wasn't just him. I think I may have been the only poster in the selection show thread openly mocking the people who were declaring it over after only one region was announced!! While these nancies were fashioning nooses with their bedsheets, I was sipping a beverage and was proud that I still believed. Your memory deserves recognition, because I didn't catch that CG had gotten caught in the undertow with the rest and only recall his bold prediction post.

I found that thread's premature humorous then, and still find it humorous now(even though Im sober at the moment), regardless of how they spin it. It was arguably a true board meltdown. I found the thread far more entertaining than the selection show itself, and it probably was why the selection show wasn't causing me the anguish that others expressed. ;)

Whomever said we can give ourselves a do-over hit it on the head. I still consider myself part of the collective to an extent, so I'm grateful we can start over just like the team can. It's a new season come Friday! Let's go Orange!!!

i'm SHOCKED we got in. Our resume this year kinda stinks and any other year we're not getting in. We were spared SMU/Louisville getting smushed.

Anyone doing the rounds saying "I told you so!" is pure foolish. Count your blessings the Committee picked Syracuse. This was a gift plain and simple. Hopefully they can make everyone eat crow and play inspired vs Dayton. After that, it's all gravy.

if louisville and smu were eligible the last two teams would have been out and we would have still been in. Why is this so hard to understand. They literally release the entire S curve and tell you where you were in relation to others.

i did. i thought 10 seed, play in game, and nit was all on the table for us. i thought a 10 seed was possible if they take boeheim's suspension into consideration
Same here. The absolute wild card is JB's suspension, which we all, for very good reasons, suspected the NCAA would look the other way on. If you put all the numbers on the table without the wild card, you can see where folks are coming from. I am sure many making the noise don't know about nor care about Jimmy's suspension and the impact it had on our season. As many others have said, it feels good to be on the up side of the flipped coin for once. Heaven knows we all have experienced the down side in our past. Lets get by Dayton and hope Mich State (assuming they win) enjoys preparing for the 2/3 zone in one day.

It was only obvious to many folks in hindsight. I'll be somewhat surprised if I read the rest of this thread and there isn't a reply to your post that says the same thing about you that you did about this member, being others on here don't have the restraint that I do. If they didn't, it's for lack of catching it, certainly not restraint. I'm not sure if anyone has an exact count, but a number of folks were certain we were out, a good many were close to certain, and very many thought it was very likely we were out. Only a tiny minority were certain or quite confident we were in. If it was indeed obvious to them, it wasn't to the vast majority. It's easier to re-write history if the folks youre preaching to weren't eye witnesses(eg the necessity of Germany currently having laws against free speech to silence witnesses to certain WW2 events).
I don't care what the majority thought. The most informative posts on the subject last week and over the weekend contained evidence supporting the notion that if the committee applied the same criteria this year as they did in 2015 that Syracuse would make the Tournament. The posts from the "majority" were emotional and never supported their view with real information aside from "they suck" or "they lost five of their last six." It doesn't matter anymore but to say things like "we were spared SMU/Louisville getting smushed" and "anyone doing the rounds saying 'I told you so!' is pure foolish" and "this was a gift plain and simple" is just misinformed.

I don't care what the majority thought. The most informative posts on the subject last week and over the weekend contained evidence supporting the notion that if the committee applied the same criteria this year as they did in 2015 that Syracuse would make the Tournament. The posts from the "majority" were emotional and never supported their view with real information aside from "they suck" or "they lost five of their last six." It doesn't matter anymore but to say things like "we were spared SMU/Louisville getting smushed" and "anyone doing the rounds saying 'I told you so!' is pure foolish" and "this was a gift plain and simple" is just misinformed.

I'm not saying the vast majority were right, obviously. I'm just saying it was obviously not "obvious" to them, as you claimed when you mocked the infrequent poster.

it bothers me to agree with you, but there it is. Good analysis, people are too short sighted and don't take the time to assess the entire season. Thankfully the NCAA did and with that alone makes me hope that someone in charge there actually knows what they're doing.
Sorry some of my takes bother you but I tend to be objective in my own mind. I am a SU diehard 100% but I tend to have some reasoning for my opinions.

As Don Vito Correlone saids it isn't personal it is business.

Sorry some of my takes bother you but I tend to be objective in my own mind. I am a SU diehard 100% but I tend to have some reasoning for my opinions.

As Don Vito Correlone saids it isn't personal it is business.
no worries, I often disagree with your opinion but here I don't. It is a great analysis of why SU should be in the tourney

I can't take it anymore. People are seriously arguing Monmouth and someone even mentioned St Bonaventure should be in over us! I understand we had a terrible resume but no one seems to pay attention to anyone else. We weren't even the worst power 5 team to make it but Joe Lunardi said so.

I'm not saying the vast majority were right, obviously. I'm just saying it was obviously not "obvious" to them, as you claimed when you mocked the infrequent poster.
You're a tad too sensitive if you think what I did was mocking. Simply pointing out why his statements come across as uninformed. Taking advantage of a teaching opportunity for his own benefit.

You're a tad too sensitive if you think what I did was mocking. Simply pointing out why his statements come across as uninformed. Taking advantage of a teaching opportunity for his own benefit.

I'll agree that maybe "mocking" was not the best choice of words, and hope we can agree to disagree that your analysis of his understanding was beneficial to his understanding of anything truthful.

I can't take it anymore. People are seriously arguing Monmouth and someone even mentioned St Bonaventure should be in over us! I understand we had a terrible resume but no one seems to pay attention to anyone else. We weren't even the worst power 5 team to make it but Joe Lunardi said so.

I'm not bothered that people are pissed off about Monmouth and St. Bonnie. But I am pissed that somehow we are the fall guy for it rather than Tulsa, Temple, Vanderbilt.

listening to whiny crybabbies like Pat Forde, Gottleib and Lu-. . . . . . i complaining about us getting in.

Lunardi just picked us to beat Dayton , even though he said we should not be there...

Lunardi just picked us to beat Dayton , even though he said we should not be there...

That kind of thing ticks me off too, but to be fair to Lunardi and others, their logic isn't necessarily wrong. For example, just because someone can party hard doesn't mean they necessarily meet the requirements the party host has listed to attend. I'm happy the Cuse met them though, and am ready for some hard partying! I'm fantasizing about the partying if MSU becomes this team's "Indiana"(last time's).

I guess looking at the numbers makes me foolish.

We had 3 wins on neutral/road courts against UConn/Texas A&M/Duke those wins alone were more than anyone of the last 10 teams in. We were in the whole time. We played 5 of the top 6 ACC teams on the road, played only 2 of those 6 at home.
Finished 9-9 in a good conference with a really hard conference schedule.

We were in all day long. Plus, we played a challenging nonconference schedule. We didn't get lucky.

This is the key point that's been grossly overlooked imo. You can slightly revise that (even more remarkable) that 5 of the 6 toughest conf. games by any metric came on the road. All top 22 kenpom, 13 sans Dook. Lord knows if that home/away schedule were flipped we'd have heard about it a billion times by now.

I sympathize with the "little guys don't get to play good teams at home" gripe but given that our 2nd toughest home game was ND or Wiscy...it probably makes more sense to complain about Michigan who was a textbook "play a bunch of good teams at home and win a couple which any halfway decent team in CBB would do and that's the only reason they got in" team.

What the hell is Lunardi doing picking games? That's not in his job description and beyond his pay grade.

I think the best thing is not having to watch us play Robert Morris (or whomever) in the NIT in front of 5K people in the Dome. That's worse than prepping for a colonoscopy.
No. It's not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom