The biggest loss of the year | Syracusefan.com

The biggest loss of the year

kcsu

Living Legend
I know that many will not agree but losing T Hunt was devastating. With him i truly believe this team is going to a bowl game. He was set to have a great year and Lester was all in on him. He knew the O much better than any other QB. Had the whole winter to dial in with Lester and got all of the Spring and Fall first team reps. He was our captain and leader. Huge loss

:rolling::rolling:

We may have been marginally better on O but the defense wasn't going to allow us to go to a bowl game.

If Dungey does not learn how to get down and get more zip on the ball, I don't think he will be the savior than many hope either. Tremendous upside but he needs to do some learning in the off season- BIG TIME

Last edited:
:rolling::rolling:

We may have been marginally better on O but the defense wasn't going to allow us to go to a bowl game.

If Dungey does not learn how to get down and get more zip on the ball, I don't think he will be the savior than many hope either. Tremendous upside but he needs to do some learning in the off season- BIG TIME
i don't know if this site is right but it says that dungey is second in the country in fumbles lost.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumbles-lost

It's still a pretty good year. 16 td combined, 10 turnovers. but in 2013, Hunt had 17 td and and either 8 or 9 turnovers (not sure whether he had 0 or 1 fumbles lost, that same site doesn't say)

i still think dungey is way better though and this offense holds him back. and i think 2013's offense fit hunt much better than this one does despite all the mcf***it screen stupidity

but QB fumbles are very easy to ignore, it's not a stat that shows up everywhere

I know that many will not agree but losing T Hunt was devastating. With him i truly believe this team is going to a bowl game. He was set to have a great year and Lester was all in on him. He knew the O much better than any other QB. Had the whole winter to dial in with Lester and got all of the Spring and Fall first team reps. He was our captain and leader. Huge loss

No one'e fault, but Hunt's injury very likely hinder our offense and our win output in 2019. Like most here, I am encouraged by what I've seen from Dungey, and while I would not quite have realize it yet if he'd red-shirted, I'd eventually be very excited to see what #2 had to offer as a 5th-year senior (with some requisite upper-class talent around him ... we have precious little of that at present).

TH was very up and down making many of the throws ED is able to, at least more consistently, when allowed to pass the ball. He's also a better scrambler and runner IMO. I don't see any game we win with TH as the QB instead of ED in there this year. The offense never looked like it took a step back as a result of the injury and I thought the offense looked improved with ED. IMO, even against LSU and Clemson there is no way we would have even been in those games with TH, so I'm not sure how we would have reached a bowl game.

I'm thinking we would only have 1 win right now instead of 3, so yeah count me in the "many will not agree camp."

No one'e fault, but Hunt's injury very likely hinder our offense and our win output in 2019. Like most here, I am encouraged by what I've seen from Dungey, and while I would not quite have realize it yet if he'd red-shirted, I'd eventually be very excited to see what #2 had to offer as a 5th-year senior (with some requisite upper-class talent around him ... we have precious little of that at present).
Dungey was not redshirting even if Hunt remained healthy.

Dungey>Mahoney>Hunt.

If we continue to run this offense, Dungey will never make it to his Junior Year.

Hunt is a great kid, but sorry, he can't throw the ball. Good runner, big kid who is hard to bring down, but he is very inaccurate. I agree with Crusty's math equation above. No way is this a bowl team with TH. defense is terrible, offensive scheme and in-game coaching is questionable to say the least.

I think we would've had an option game with pop passes with hunt. Basing that off preseason video and seeing where lester wanted to go with the offense.

Interesting point of view.

It certainly makes sense.

But, Dungey just knocked me out at times - he seems to do things that Hunt just can't do.

He throws better, runs better and sees the field better.

Maybe Hunt's experience and age would have made a difference. I wonder.

Hunt is better prepared t take the hits a running qb takes

Were we planning to move him to safety in the 2nd game?

I'm sure we can all agree that he seems to be a good young man, and that we all felt extremely bad for him. We also all wish him the all the best. He worked so hard over the off season to make this a special season. I was looking forward to seeing improvement with his passing game based upon his hard work, and was optimistic. I also agree that his leadership, knowledge of the offense, ability to run, his size etc, could have worked out this year in the offense Lester wanted. He was groomed for it. Not sure though if him staying healthy would have meant more wins. Id say there is a fair chance of that though. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the notion like many here.

Biggest loss of the year? That's easy. It's my sense of hope and optimism :(

hunts loss was not so big. it revealed better players due to his absence. no knock on the hunt, he is what he is and a great team player. it also further revealed the short comings of hcss. ---which is the most revealing issue of all.

Before we all get to crapping on Hunt, let's take a look at this

Record since 2013 (Games started)
Hunt 9-7
Allen 1-2
Long 1-5
Wilson 0-1
Dungey 2-5
Mahoney 0-2

or

Hunt 9-7 (56% winning)
Not Hunt 4-15 (21% winning)

Forum statistics