the crane the crane | Page 178 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Vewwy kwyet.
The only “action” that I’ve seen is a crane inside the stadium lowering its boom.
The stadium’s garage door is open so maybe we’ll see something delivered or removed.
Would that crane be known as Clancy?

interesting they are calling for 40-50 MPH winds and they left the cranes up.
Yes when I posted the forecast the wind speed indicated that they'd have to knuckle the cranes - apparently not.

The LC is shaking constantly as the wind keeps up through the day today.

Tomorrow's forecast:

4/10

43°Hi

RealFeel® 31°

Mostly cloudy and windy with a couple of snow showers; storm total snowfall an inch or two

Wind: WNW at 20 mph

Wind Gusts: 26 mph :(

Probability of Precipitation: 66%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 8%

Precipitation: 0.12 in

Rain: 0.00 in

Snow: 0.8 in

Ice: 0.00 in

Hours of Precipitation: 4

Assuming the legs hold all the weight of the roof, and there is 7,000 tons on snow on the roof - my napkin calculation says each bolt would carry 6 tons of weight!?

another sunset.png

It’s hard to see what’s happening inside the Dome.
In addition to the metal "frames" the white interior crane has been moving around inside there now appears to be black cable lying up level one.

And right in the middle is something with a white top and blue side that says Pfeifer

Last edited:
In addition to the metal "frames" the white interior crane has been moving around inside there now appears to be black cable lying up level one.

And right in the middle is something with a white top and blue side that says Pfeifer
Let the speculation begin,

I think the cables/pipes that have spouted up through most of the lower level are temporary drainage pipes, designed to funnel the water from storms to a central repository, which might just be a connection to a sewer line.

I saw a lot of activity going on inside the stadium with a white crane doing something up high near mid court on the 3rd level, on the interior west wall. It looks to me as though in addition to removing the old scoreboard there, the backing frame for it was removed and another frame was put in place.

It looks like the large ducts that line the top of the third deck that was used to push out air from the giant fans, and optionally pump hot air between the layers of the old roof during snow storms, have been carefully preserved. I am assuming that probably means they are planning on using them for the new AC system next year. But maybe they just haven’t gotten around to getting rid of them yet.

That United Way poster in the corner has been covered up for a long time. I would guess it will be covered up again by the time the facility opens again.

Looks like they took great care to cover up the home team and visitor entrances to the locker rooms, presumably to ensure no water gets into those areas.

Do we know yet how the new roof is going to be put up? Is Pfeifer going to do something similar to what they did at the Olympic Stadium in London and stage the cabling for the new roof on the floor of the dome and bring it up to hang on the crown truss in one giant, coordinated effort? Anyone have any insights here?

Let the speculation begin,

I think the cables/pipes that have spouted up through most of the lower level are temporary drainage pipes, designed to funnel the water from storms to a central repository, which might just be a connection to a sewer line.

I saw a lot of activity going on inside the stadium with a white crane doing something up high near mid court on the 3rd level, on the interior west wall. It looks to me as though in addition to removing the old scoreboard there, the backing frame for it was removed and another frame was put in place.

It looks like the large ducts that line the top of the third deck that was used to push out air from the giant fans, and optionally pump hot air between the layers of the old roof during snow storms, have been carefully preserved. I am assuming that probably means they are planning on using them for the new AC system next year. But maybe they just haven’t gotten around to getting rid of them yet.

That United Way poster in the corner has been covered up for a long time. I would guess it will be covered up again by the time the facility opens again.

Looks like they took great care to cover up the home team and visitor entrances to the locker rooms, presumably to ensure no water gets into those areas.

Do we know yet how the new roof is going to be put up? Is Pfeifer going to do something similar to what they did at the Olympic Stadium in London and stage the cabling for the new roof on the floor of the dome and bring it up to hang on the crown truss in one giant, coordinated effort? Anyone have any insights here?
This one has some interesting similarities...

Those guys are insane to do that kind of work.
There are several videos on the Pfeifer site. The look on the faces of some of those guys is intense and joyful. They're young and love the challenge...

“PLEASE NOTE,” one sentence of an internal email said, using all capital letters, “THE PROJECT REMAINS OPEN TO WORK WITHOUT RESTRICTION.”

Contracts with snow plowing companies run Nov 1 to Apr 1.

Of course it snows Apr 10.