the crane the crane | Page 182 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

One of the fundamental problems with the facility now is the lack of proper power in it. It wasn't designed to support as many power outlets as are currently needed. This problem is particularly acute on the upper level (top concourse).

Hopefully Pete is going to have some electricians in to upgrade electrical service as part of phase 1. This is badly needed.

I suspect the power issue will be solved in part because the dome will no longer need power to run the huge fans needed to keep the roof inflated.

If we are up for a 4 spiral day today, we are down for a 2 girder day for tomorrow. But they started early... some maybe we can get one of them today?

If we are up for a 4 spiral day today, we are down for a 2 girder day for tomorrow. But they started early... some maybe we can get one of them today?
I would guess that they will have these 2 spirals and 2 more in place and secured, ready to go, by lunch or 1 pm. That would in theory leave them plenty of time to also put up two girders.

I don't see any signs of Walt being disassembled either. I am guessing they decided to leave him on site for maybe this one last girder today? Maybe Walt's imminent departure will speed things up today?

I suspect the power issue will be solved in part because the dome will no longer need power to run the huge fans needed to keep the roof inflated.
That could be. I am assuming there will be power requirements for AC as well. Not sure how all that works and what, if any cooling will be done at the dome. They will surely still have to circulate the cooled air (and hot air in the winter) and I think they use the fans at least in part for this.

I sit directly under one of the overhead vents way up near the top row of the dome. I am hoping they use these vents for AC and on a hot day, that cold air will make those seats, typically the hottest and most uncomfortable in the building on hot days, very nice and cool.

It appears there is a girder on Forestry Drive (I think that is the name of the street that runs east west from that Robin Hood Oak down to Irving, between the SU and SUNY Forestry campuses).

It is close to the more western spiral that was put up today. They still need to get another spiral up first before they can put the girder up and it still doesn't have a railing or the attachment strips needed to hoist it but it appears to be in place, close by, when needed.

And...there is a spiral in the air above where the girder is sitting. Not clear where it is going to be installed yet. Edit: looks like it will go on the eastern side.

Lastly, given where the girder is, I question whether Walt is going to get put in the game again. If he was going to lift that one, they would have put it close to him, I think.

Are they leaving the girder platforms up on the western half for the soon to be started roof installation ? ...anyone ?.....Bueler ?

Last edited:
Just a guess, but the girder going up may finish the last arrowhead. I believe they will then do several of the bendy things to secure the arrowhead. When that happens they can then continue with girders on the south side away from the arrowhead.

Are they leaving the girder platforms up on the right for the soon to be started roof installation ?
My guess is that the answer to your question is yes.

If you remember what the top of those girders look like (Bees has posted some great pics, I have posted some decent ones), there are lots of places for cables to be connected to help support the new roof. Someone is going to have to make those connections. The platforms look like they might be good staging areas.

I think Pete Sala said that the actual installation of the roof is by far the hardest part of this project. They could use all the help possible to make it easier.

Just a guess, but the girder going up may finish the last arrowhead. I believe they will then do several of the bendy things to secure the arrowhead. When that happens they can then continue with girders on the south side away from the arrowhead.
You are right; they never completed that arrowhead. Did it out of sequence. Maybe that spiral was late arriving.

I am expecting another spiral to pop up soon for the western grouping. If we want to see that girder go up today, a spiral needs to get in the air pretty soon.

Safe to assume the back stays don't come down until the roof is up?

is that true? I thought the weights were to hold the compression in place until the ring was finished ? the added roof wieght is going to add more pressure so why would the counter weights change that?
what weights?

is that true? I thought the weights were to hold the compression in place until the ring was finished ? the added roof wieght is going to add more pressure so why would the counter weights change that?
Because once the ring is completed it can support far more weight as the forces are distributed evenly. Right now, all the forces are pushing inwards toward the middle of the dome.

I thought the back stays were basically counter wieghts to hold the ring while it was being built Since it cant compress until its done? Wouldnt be the first time today I was totally wrong on a subject, which happens alot more now that I am home all day working with my wife..

I thought the back stays were basically counter wieghts to hold the ring while it was being built Since it cant compress until its done? Wouldnt be the first time today I was totally wrong on a subject, which happens alot more now that I am home all day working with my wife..
You're correct on the counterweights part, I think we both have the right idea.

Are they prepping to start packing up Walt?
Maybe. After he was brought up this morning from being knuckled down, he hasn't moved an inch.

That could be. I am assuming there will be power requirements for AC as well. Not sure how all that works and what, if any cooling will be done at the dome. They will surely still have to circulate the cooled air (and hot air in the winter) and I think they use the fans at least in part for this.

I sit directly under one of the overhead vents way up near the top row of the dome. I am hoping they use these vents for AC and on a hot day, that cold air will make those seats, typically the hottest and most uncomfortable in the building on hot days, very nice and cool.
I heard if you bang on them...you can get more cold air out.