the crane the crane | Page 184 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I believe you would need to ask sutomcat about a question like that.
When you take into account the number of people that were involved from the beginning - including planning, engineering, the people in Montreal putting a full scale model of what would be installed on site. The crews on both sides of the Dome putting things together like cranes, offloading spirals and girders the crew that goes up to secure backstays, spirals and girders, the crane ops and truck drivers, that in total is pretty labor intensive.
But you are asking about the roof itself and from what I have seen on other jobs presented here to install everything it is very, labor intensive maybe more so than what I just described but I should let sutomcat or another roof expert answer your question. They will have a better, more intelligent answer than I.

Last edited:
Walt ain't so lonely after all and his op hasn't gone anywhere he's in full motion right now the op has rotated so he's looking straight down Forestry. What that is about I do not know?
Walt has lowered his hook down in front of the large blue door but my picture can not show me what is happening with that lowered hook. It is off screen.

When you take into account the number of people that were involved from the beginning - including planning, engineering, the people in Montreal putting a full scale model of what would be installed on site. The crews on both sides of the Dome putting things together like cranes, offloading spirals and girders the crew that goes up to secure backstays, spirals and girders, the crane ops and truck drivers that in total is pretty labor intensive.
But you are asking about the roof itself and from what I have seen on other jobs presented here to install everything it is very, labor intensive maybe more so than what I just described but I should let sutomcat or another roof expert answer your question. They will have a better, more intelligent answer than I.
I think I posted on this earlier today. Pete Sala was quoted in a story a while ago, in the early stages of building the crown truss, where he said something to the effect of

The crown truss is the easy part. The hardest part of the project will come after that, when it comes time to put the new roof on.

That isn't a direct quote but he said something along those lines. It looks like the pieces will be a lot smaller and lighter but there will be a lot more of them. Even after the roof has been completed, they had a lot of work to do getting the lights in, the sound system, the center hung scoreboard, the new wifi system?, getting all the protection removed, cleaning up the floor and getting the new turf installed and marked.

It is going to be a crazy spring and summer. Going to miss watching things from these cameras as the new roof is put in place.

I hope...

1) there is a football season at the end of the rainbow

and

2) they install a couple of live stream cameras inside the dome so we can follow along as work progresses. There are a lot of bored people who would watch. I know a couple of them well. ;)

Last edited:
It looks like Walt is bringing up handrails for girders that already have them.

I think there was originally a handrail on only one side of the girders. It looks like the crew is installing hand rails on the other side.

Why wasn't this done initially? No idea. Maybe a shortage of handrails?

Anyway, glad to see Walt still involved in the project, if only for a little while. It looks like the rest of the site has shut down for the day. Was hoping to see another girder go up. Sometimes they have snuck one in late. You never know...

I think

I think I posted on this earlier today. Pete Sala was quoted in a story a while ago, in the early stages of building the crown truss, where he said something to the effect of

The crown truss is the easy part. The hardest part of the project will come after that, when it comes time to put the new roof on.

That isn't a direct quote but he said something along those lines. It looks like the pieces will be a lot smaller and lighter but there will be a lot more of them. Even after the roof has been completed, they had a lot of work to do getting the lights in, the sound system, the center hung scoreboard, the new wifi system?, getting all the protection removed, cleaning up the floor and getting the new turf installed and marked.

It is going to be a crazy spring and summer. Going to miss watching things from these cameras as the new roof is put in place.

I hope...

and
2) they install a couple of live stream cameras inside the dome so we can follow along as work progresses. There are a lot of bored people who would watch. I know a couple of them well. ;)
The pressure would be off if the season is delayed. To me, the important pivot point is the decision on returning students to campus. If there is only on-line instruction in the fall, there really can't be any football that semester.

Quick question for you or the group: Will the first stage of the fixed roof construction be more labor intensive than the crown truss?
I got your post...you weren't alone in the thought. ;)

Reactions: 007
I think

I hope...

and
If they do not have cameras on the part of the project that is the roof and the raising of it, I know a couple of people who will be very disappointed. I would think Mr. Sala has already anticipated this from the close crop that is the current shot from the LC and e mails he was sent regarding that situation. I know someone who will send another e mail if there are not cameras in place and I also know someone who will ask for cameras before the work is begun. :)

they will probably just disconnect the one cam and move t inside

I hope...

and

I think that comment was made when the plan was to put the new roof over the old one. It might be easier now that the old roof is gone.

I think that comment was made when the plan was to put the new roof over the old one. It might be easier now that the old roof is gone.
I found the interview I was referring to. It was published on January 30th. At that point, the plan was to take the old roof off before starting work on the new one:

Sala said that truss work can go into early April and still keep the project on schedule for the actual roof replacement that’s still to come.

“The project that happens in the second phase is more challenging than what we have going on right now because of the complexity of what it’s going to take to rig up all those cables and everything that hold that roof up, and the lighting, the sound, and the video board all those things that are going with that for the first game,” Sala told NewsChannel 9.

On any given day, depending on what’s happening with the project, there could be between 50 and 200 workers busy with very aspects of the project, both outside and inside The Dome.

“We’re trying to get ahead a little bit for when we let, after the last event, and take the roof down, we’re going to have to do some prep work on that with the speakers coming down from the building and other things that are now attached to the roof,” Sala explained.

almost done sunset.png

I found the interview I was referring to. It was published on January 30th. At that point, the plan was to take the old roof off before starting work on the new one:

Sala said that truss work can go into early April and still keep the project on schedule for the actual roof replacement that’s still to come.

“The project that happens in the second phase is more challenging than what we have going on right now because of the complexity of what it’s going to take to rig up all those cables and everything that hold that roof up, and the lighting, the sound, and the video board all those things that are going with that for the first game,” Sala told NewsChannel 9.

On any given day, depending on what’s happening with the project, there could be between 50 and 200 workers busy with very aspects of the project, both outside and inside The Dome.

“We’re trying to get ahead a little bit for when we let, after the last event, and take the roof down, we’re going to have to do some prep work on that with the speakers coming down from the building and other things that are now attached to the roof,” Sala explained.

Thanks Tom

When Walt heads back down here to NC I am expecting one of you to write "An Ode to Walt"

An Ode to Walt

Legacy, just because you're from his home state you
want special stuff for Walt, something that's kept in a vault?

You probably think he's been an integral part of of the
construction of the Crown Truss your making such a fuss. ;)

Maybe you think Walt's a pretty big deal - everyone thinking
up a name for a crane!

He's been here for months on end through the fall and winter
it seems so short his tenure and return right around the bend

Maybe you think he's cool due to the fact he's 580 feet tall
and you'd be right and I'd be such a fool

So let's all give Walt his special due he's practically put the Truss
up alone without even a word or wanting a bone.

With his op we've watched something only few get to observe -
sometimes I looked at him with mouth agape because of what occurred

His size IS immense his turntable so big, his boom and jig so high - looking
through the Live Cam we could only see part of him reaching to the sky

But really we've been watching history seeing something so immense
move a girder or spiral, tons of weight, at times it seemed very intense

Apprehension cast aside you moved it whatever it was, inch
by inch till it fit and you did it all without panting not even a bit

With tension so great – girders were held in place by your hoist wires, block
and hook by day and by night so they would dare not move not with your counter weights

They are going to take you apart now and truck you home it almost seems sad
but you'll probably be on a bigger job soon so it can't be all bad

It is with great, respect, Walt, that all of us Crainiacs offer our thanks to a project well
done even if it's off to Nome you'll never have done a better job than Syracuse's new Dome.

:)

Last edited:
I believe another spiral has been added to the east side. Maybe we will get a girder there also.

A flatbed just backed into the dome through the overhead door. Couldn't tell what was on board.

And now, he doesn't and is turning away from the camera. Odd.

Busy all of a sudden. Looks like the line to the collar of the eastern spiral has been disconnected. Maybe getting ready for the girder. As the big while extend-o-lift turns quickly away from the stadium.

I wonder if they are starting to prep for the roof cables during this lull. I see guys walking in a few various places along the top of the truss.

It’s been frustrating to watch the lack of truss progress the past week. Since the end of last Wednesday, only three spirals have gone up and they all went up in the past 24 hours.