the crane the crane | Page 273 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I wanted to thank everyone here for the updates, photos, screen captures and sketches. I followed this thread and the live cam daily during the crown truss build. Then life in 2020 happened. The pandemic hit, had a daughter graduate now getting ready for college, vacations etc. I also was following a thread on the football board that got move to a rabbit hole some call the OT board. I stuck around for “Covid updates “ but after a couple months of Trump memes, arguments between people who don’t understand why not everyone thinks the way they do, and way to many graphs I snapped out of it and remembered I don’t really care for politics.

Anyway, I stumbled across the latest update video from cuse.com the other day and my heart sank. I hadn’t thought about the dome project in a while and so much had been done I didn’t think there was any way I’d be able to figure out how it all went together. I just caught up with this thread and thanks to all the info I feel like i didn’t miss beat.

I wanted to thank everyone here for the updates, photos, screen captures and sketches. I followed this thread and the live cam daily during the crown truss build. Then life in 2020 happened. The pandemic hit, had a daughter graduate now getting ready for college, vacations etc. I also was following a thread on the football board that got move to a rabbit hole some call the OT board. I stuck around for “Covid updates “ but after a couple months of Trump memes, arguments between people who don’t understand why not everyone thinks the way they do, and way to many graphs I snapped out of it and remembered I don’t really care for politics.

Anyway, I stumbled across the latest update video from cuse.com the other day and my heart sank. I hadn’t thought about the dome project in a while and so much had been done I didn’t think there was any way I’d be able to figure out how it all went together. I just caught up with this thread and thanks to all the info I feel like i didn’t miss beat.
Its like watching the 1st episode of The Tiger King. Its very odd often disturbing yet extremely addictive.

In regards to the Syracuse weather and its role throughout this 'tight' construction schedule, it has been dreamlike. First, the significantly mild winter, followed by a spring & summer that has been basically ideal, if not perfect. I don't believe the weather could've been any better/cooperative relative to getting this project completed on time.

Actually they missed a lot of days because of the wind, a lot more than they anticipated.

I actually thought that was what they would do, before bringing in #5.
The 4 cranes that started the hard shell builds initially are all located on crane pads and to my knowledge, have not left them. I suspect they are too heavy to drive around wherever they are needed.

Also, remember that in contrast to where the initial 4 cranes are located, location 5 in not flat and is in fact located on a fairly steep hill. I think you need a different setup to operation on a hill. Crane 5 had an elaborate set of stabilizing bars on its base that allowed it to operate there.

Lastly, I think the crane in the southwest corner is still needed, as are all the other cranes, to finish installing the roof in their individual areas. I suspect they didn’t realize 4 cranes could not do the job and had to bring in Crane 5 at the last minute. It is very unfortunate it had problems.

Still no sign of a replacement. My guess is one arrives sometime today. They have to be desperate to get it in ASAP.

Take note in this pic of a guy setting up a camera. Hopefully we'll get to see some interesting video:

Another video. Around the 2:06 mark you can see the "blue tarp like stuff" is safety netting they actually walk in to attach the PTFE.
It looks like the rigid part of the roof could be large sections after watching the video. It might actually install quicker.

It looks like the rigid part of the roof could be large sections after watching the video. It might actually install quicker.
I don't know. Fwiw I was told this morning that metal panels couldn't be installed directly on top of that underlayment. That more steel would have to be installed to attach the panels. Never ask questions. :rolleyes:

I don't know. Fwiw I was told this morning that metal panels couldn't be installed directly on top of that underlayment. That more steel would have to be installed to attach the panels. Never ask questions. :rolleyes:
That makes more sense to me. Can’t see the metal panels getting glued on to the under layer. That makes no sense. Wow, the roof is a lot more complex that I was expecting.

I can't believe I just now noticed they have been laying down the gray "insulation" in the northwest corner. Now that I look closely, it looks like they have done a LOT there. From the north triangle to past the halfway point.

I can't believe I just now noticed they have been laying down the gray "insulation" in the northwest corner. Now that I look closely, it looks like they have done a LOT there. From the north triangle to past the halfway point.
It looks like the white insulation panels will be place on top of the gray underlayment. There is a lot of the gray looking metal stacked around the stadium. I wonder if the gray steel will be used to hold down the insulation and then the final roof attached to that?

Their building something against the exterior wall near the lower gate at the southwest corner. Roofers are already on the roof. Lets hope it’s a good day.

Their building something against the exterior wall near the lower gate at the southwest corner. Roofers are already on the roof. Lets hope it’s a good day.
Maybe some type of exterior lift/elevator? Or it's just scaffolding. ;)

Maybe some type of exterior lift/elevator? Or it's just scaffolding. ;)
They've been working on that for a few days now. I agree, my guess is that it'll will be a temporary elevator/materials transport

Morning update:

Not a lot going on. The base replacement for Crane #5 has arrived. They have to attach a bunch of boom/extenders/whatever those big things are called but they have started the process of building it.

If this build is like others, it will probably be done by the end of the day (assuming all the parts to build it get on site). My guess is that they will be able to close the gap and finish the steel base for the hard shell roof in 2 or 3 days.

So if things go well, the steel might be done by Thursday midday.

I am going with the assumption that the roof is going to have a structure like a big albacore tuna sandwidth. The first slice of bread is mostly down now. It is blue grey and unappetizing but it holds the middle in place.

The tuna will be styrofoam-like insulation. Not tasty but excellent U values.

The top layer of sandwich will be made of metal. Is composite metal with insulation backing needed if they are already putting insulation down? How does the stand alone insulation affect things? Could the outer layer be corrugated grey metal?

My guess is that the insulation up top is going to stay there until we see another layer of steel that will attach to the existing layer. The insulation will be fitted between the layers of steel and then a final exterior layer will be added.

This is the start of week 4 of a 6 week project to complete the roof.

If this is to be the process, they have a hell of a lot of work to do. Kind of surprised at how long they are taking and how deliberate they are being with getting the underlayer in place. Will they need to finish the first level of steel before starting on the second one?

Lots of questions. Not many answers. Hoping to see the underlayer started on the north, east and southeast sides soon. Hopefully today. I think they have to at least get the underlayer done by the end of this week if they are to make their deadline.

They've been working on that for a few days now. I agree, my guess is that it'll will be a temporary elevator/materials transport
Looking at where it stops, I think it’s going to be an elevator giving handicap access to the upper levels of the stadium. At the moment, there’s not a lot of handicap option for reaching some levels of the stadium.

Workers are definitely covering the seams on the roof. It‘s some kind of black material.

Workers are definitely covering the seams on the roof. It‘s some kind of black material.
They just added another layer, this time blue, to the underlayer.

How complicated is this roof going to get?

You can see the black backing material they added between the grey squares here pretty easily as well.

Duct tape grey and Duke blue. Awesome. I am glad this is all going to get covered up by something more attractive soon...

081720.jpg

Now a darker color over the blue
These are new sheets they are laying on top of the blue. Pretty sure these are the insulation panels. That happen to be colored light brown on top...

They flip one edge of the blue tarp-like fabric, and expose the other side, which is colored white. Looks like it might have an adhesive on the back side edge covered by tape, that they strip off so they can attach it to the grey underlayer.

Last edited:
It looks like they peeled back the gray and uncovered the blue. They are adding the gray foam that is in the white bags they had already placed on the roof. I wonder if the blue has a sticky surface that allows the foam backing to stick to it.