the crane the crane | Page 275 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

OK so it's 9:35P.M. and I was just fooling around seeing what the roof looked like at night and what to my surprise in the second level in the section, a flashlight in the surrounding total darkness - a spot, a big one, was shining on one section then another - it looks to be two crew - now he's moved down to the edge close to the walkway shining his huge light all over the place - 120 feet up and this guy is determined to find out what the layers and the entire insulation sections they've done look like at night?
Now back where he started on a steel beam with his head out from under a seam and I'm listening to the theme of the Pink Panther - maybe it's Sellers trying to find his quarry or tomcat who took Legacy's advice and got a crowbar and opened one of those wooden crates to see if he can locate any fingerprints?! I swear I didn't tell anyone you were going to do that tom. :) ;)

Last edited:
Observations of Roof Opinions - (first two lines are mine, I added to some of your comments of yesterday, see if you can find yours? For lots of reasons I find it hilarious!)

Comments and questions come from the participants of the thread, what could this layer be doing? It's gray, no it's blue, now brown, they just put the white things on... what the - something's brewing!

Is it sticky, can't be - they're walking on it! How many layers are there? Look! The stupid #5 crane isn't doing anything! It just sits, doing nothing – Oh good, it's finally being taken apart so maybe we'll get a replacement today and we'll get to see something. ASAP!

Are you sure that's light gray or light blue? Now it looks black! That's the space between the steel! I think the brown insulation material might have adhesive on the underside. Are you sure there are four layers? They must have to make sure it's a really good seal.

A good day to test for leaks. Sunny and partly cloudy but with some nasty, dark clouds with a lot of rain in them. These cells might feature hard rain for 5 minutes, then you get a couple of hours of sun. Whatever, for the crew it isn't any fun.

I think the white layer really is a tarp to protect the surface from rain. It has come out twice, both times shortly after rain started coming down - Oh! This is like making a 7 layer cake but someone left it out in the rain, I don't think that I can take it, this project is taking too long and I'll never have that recipe again – no!

Before the rain came, it looked like they put a second layer of the brown material down that is suspected of being insulation. So you put the white one on then roll it up and take it back off? And then another color board gets out down.. wonder if the white put down some adhesive some how? It just doesn't look the same.

I would hope any of these materials aren't easy to rip for the long term feasibility of the roof! The stuff has to survive winters and you're surprised it didn't get torn by walking on it?! It looks like they peeled back the gray and uncovered the blue! They are adding the gray foam that is in the white bags they had already placed on the roof. So walking on it won't hurt it one bit?

I don't know. Fwiw I was told this morning that metal panels couldn't be installed directly on top of that underlayment. That makes more sense to me. Can’t see the metal panels getting glued on to the under layer. That makes no sense. Wow, the roof is a lot more complex that I was expecting. This has become quite a show! :)

Last edited:
Ok, busy morning. Bottom panel has had a white "tarp?" pulled off of it to reveal the hal/half white, dark gray underneath. The crew has been placing (rolling) something white on top of that. Smaller, rectangular pieces that seem to roll out like 6' sections of linoluem.

The middle panel has had a blue underlay rolled on top of it. It's now been totally covered by the sections of the brown/dark gray. I assume they will proceed to cover that withe the whitish "linoleum" sections.

My Lord, this roof IS like a 7 layer cake. They are really moving along now, I can see when they really apply the manpower to it that even with the multiple layers they can get a lot done fast. Would be interesting to know if they are doing the same to other parts simultaneously.

Ok, busy morning. Bottom panel has had a white "tarp?" pulled off of it to reveal the hal/half white, dark gray underneath. The crew has been placing (rolling) something white on top of that. Smaller, rectangular pieces that seem to roll out like 6' sections of linoluem.

The middle panel has had a blue underlay rolled on top of it. It's now been totally covered by the sections of the brown/dark gray. I assume they will proceed to cover that withe the whitish "linoleum" sections.

My Lord, this roof IS like a 7 layer cake. They are really moving along now, I can see when they really apply the manpower to it that even with the multiple layers they can get a lot done fast. Would be interesting to know if they are doing the same to other parts simultaneously.
I cannot wait for the butter cream filling tubes to be hoisted up onto those cranes. It'll be magical...
Have a great day everyone!

Also, maybe it's the light angle with the camera... but it looks like the parts I can see of the northwest section seem to be covered in white. Now the question would be is it the same white tarp they pulled off of the southwest section or has that section already advanced to what they are now doing in the southwest.

Morning update:

Crane 5 Version 2 Rev A is mostly assembled but still has some work to do. Maybe it will get completed by lunch and it can start on filling the SW gap this afternoon.

They have already got most of the 2nd section completed this morning.

I think this is the drill:
Blue tarp. Dark brown insulation layer.
Medium brown insulation layer.
Light brown insulation layer.

Pretty sure there are three types of insulation and they get laid out in that order.

I believe the white tarps were only used yesterday because of the rain.

Looks like they can put a layer up in short order. A matter of minutes. The layers look fairly heavy too. The workers look like they struggle to carry them up the incline of the roof.

Some work is being done in the middle of the west end of the roof getting the first layer (corrugated steel and grey/blue tarp) in place. They are doing this in the northwest corner too. Not sure if they have started the layer 2 cycle in the northwest corner yet.

No sign of the first underlayer being applied on the eastern end of the roof yet. I thought there might be some work a couple of days ago in bad light but in the morning light today...no way.

I wonder if it’s TPO?
9F96AD30-2196-463D-8E28-0EDA74BAADD6.jpeg

They are really moving along now, I can see when they really apply the manpower to it that even with the multiple layers they can get a lot done fast. Would be interesting to know if they are doing the same to other parts simultaneously.
It's even more entertaining watching it at 2X speed. The little men are really zipping around then.

As I watch them finish up putting on that last layer of light tan material, it occurs to me that with this layer on, the roof looks very much like the Geiger drawing of the finished roof.

I wonder if this might be the finished project? Is that possible? They are spending a lot of time on it. Looks like it is important to get it just right.

Also, Crane 5 Version 2 Release A looks very close to complete now.

This has probably been addressed on here at some point, but do we know why SU decided to go with a partial hard shell/partial PTFE roof, versus a complete hard shell roof? Was it simply a cost issue, or are there benefits of doing the roof this way over a complete hard shell or even complete PTFE? I know initially the thought was to bring in more natural light, but it’s been noted the PTFE is about as translucent as the old roof.

if this is the last layer then its put on in sheets and they i suppose some seem sealer is applied? just seems like so many places for a failure/drip ? not big deal other than bball court or electronics underneath.

Not really sure what i expected. i guess maybe bigger sheets of something with less seems?

Though maybe i expected something more like this

1597759873178.png

Interesting they suddenly decided to park the boxes of material right on the roof much closer to where its needed.
but I realized that the stuff they are rolling out is just over sized flex tape

so being an IT guy.. if the issue with the Crane 5 was a motherboard why didnt they just replace that instead of building a whole new crane?

Interesting they suddenly decided to park the boxes of material right on the roof much closer to where its needed.
but I realized that the stuff they are rolling out is just over sized flex tape
Some of the panels look heavy. That slope is pretty steep. Would guess they will do this for at least the sections closest to the PTFE middle to make things a little easier for the workers.

The thing that I don't get is that if this is the exterior layer of the roof, what is going to hold it securely to the other layers? And what is going to hold the other layers to the underlayer?

It looked like they just threw them into place. I don't see the panels interlocking, or getting attached to the metal underneath. They surely can't just throw them into place and call it done...

Some of the panels look heavy. That slope is pretty steep. Would guess they will do this for at least the sections closest to the PTFE middle to make things a little easier for the workers.

The thing that I don't get is that if this is the exterior layer of the roof, what is going to hold it securely to the other layers? And what is going to hold the other layers to the underlayer?

It looked like they just threw them into place. I don't see the panels interlocking, or getting attached to the metal underneath. They surely can't just throw them into place and call it done...

It's most likely a TPO or a PVC roof with polyiso insulation. The seams are usually heat welded. The blue sheet is what they call a slip sheet which allows for expansion and extraction of the roofing materials. If anyone wants to really dig deeper most commercial roofs in this area are supplied by two major manufacturers Johns Manville or Carlisle, maybe GAF here and there but that's about it. Not in the roofing business but bet around enough to be slightly dangerous and yelled at by many roofing contractors for walking on their roofs when trying to get some other things done. I would bet it's either a Manville or Carlisle system.[/QUOTE]

It's most likely a TPO or a PVC roof with polyiso insulation. The seams are usually heat welded. The blue sheet is what they call a slip sheet which allows for expansion and extraction of the roofing materials. If anyone wants to really dig deeper most commercial roofs in this area are supplied by two major manufacturers Johns Manville or Carlisle, maybe GAF here and there but that's about it. Not in the roofing business but bet around enough to be slightly dangerous and yelled at by many roofing contractors for walking on their roofs when trying to get some other things done. I would bet it's either a Manville or Carlisle system.
I believe DoubleDee suggested TPO a few posts ago. But the picture he attached had the TPO on a roll.

Do you know if they make it in panel form? The quick search I did for TPO only came up with it in rolls. These panels have more than just a 45-80 mm membrane going on. They look to be around 1.5 inches thick.

Meanwhile, Crane 5, aka Sober Jim, is up and just took a bow. Might have some steel going up shortly.

well at my house i just throw a couple cinder blocks here and there to hold the old roof on the shed.. maybe they need 5-6 to do the job.

I believe DoubleDee suggested TPO a few posts ago. But the picture he attached had the TPO on a roll.

Do you know if they make it in panel form? The quick search I did for TPO only came up with it in rolls. These panels have more than just a 45-80 mm membrane going on. They look to be around 1.5 inches thick.

Meanwhile, Crane 5, aka Sober Jim, is up and just took a bow. Might have some steel going up shortly.

Interesting, I will have to take a closer look. Are they just putting the insulation down, coverboard and the slip sheet and then going to start with the membrane? Can't really see that well

Interesting, I will have to take a closer look. Are they just putting the insulation down, coverboard and the slip sheet and then going to start with the membrane? Can't really see that well
They put a blue slip sheet down, then a relatively dark brown layer of panels, then a medium brown layer of panels, then a light tan layer of panels.

That appears to be the recipe. Winds are around 12 mph in the city today. Up top, I am sure they are way higher. Especially now that they are at the highest section of the hard shell. That last slip sheet they just put up was blowing around violently and almost got away from the crew.

They put a blue slip sheet down, then a relatively dark brown layer of panels, then a medium brown layer of panels, then a light tan layer of panels.

That appears to be the recipe. Winds are around 12 mph in the city today. Up top, I am sure they are way higher. Especially now that they are at the highest section of the hard shell. That last slip sheet they just put up was blowing around violently and almost got away from the crew.

Now I am very curious as to what the overall system is... I will do some digging