the crane the crane | Page 115 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Let Down was expecting big day, I know they need backstays plus it is breezy, at least here in the Southern Tier.
Yep 16 mph winds means gust well into the 20s

Last edited:
I thought I'd take one more peek tonight at the project and there is a mystery. At 10 P.M. I watched an officer in a black and white police SUV pull up to the main yard drive, get out unlock the gate, pull his vehicle in, lock the gate and drive to the front corner edge of the construction trailer. It's now 11:09 and he's still sitting there lights on? Why? Opinions? Solve that and you get your choice of seating and recliner for the 2020 season,a/c, cup holder, a case of any beer you'd like for every game this coming season and a selfie with Tommy D. :) This is for real the guy is still sitting there probably doing paper work. But maybe waiting to ambush an intruder?!

It’s pretty common (at least where I live) to hire off duty officers to watch construction sites (or neighborhoods, community areas, etc). They are typically allowed to wear their uniforms. Don’t know about duty vehicles.
Also, companies and civilians can request their department spend extra time in certain areas “request to watch.” It’s not a guarantee anything will be done, but it does actually happen.
Other than that, they may have permission to be there to work on reports while at the same time being a visible deterrent to crime.

They're laying in more of the big railroad tie like things below Walt...filling in the space next to the weights

They're laying in more of the big railroad tie like things below Walt...filling in the space next to the weights
WELL? Maybe they wore themselves out yesterday working on putting the other big crane together - surely they can do more than lay extra ties in the main yaaad.

Last edited:
WELL? Maybe they wore themselves out yesterday working on putting the other big crane together - surely they can do more than lay extra ties in the main yaaad.
I think it signals that Walt is getting ready to move to be able to work on the west end better...

There’s stuff going on inside. A little vehicle keeps driving past the door. I can see it. 0_o

Some general thoughts...

They are burning the midnight oil inside the dome again tonight. I saw a crane on a truck go in not long ago. I would guess they are close to finished with the preparations inside the dome at this point and are close to deflating the old roof and taking it off. That was supposed to happen in the mid March time frame, so maybe we have another week or so to got our last looks at the old roof.

When it was initially installed, they started on the perimeter and finished with the diamond pieces in the middle. It will be interesting to see how they take it off. They might wait for a break in the forecast where little wind is forecast for a couple of days. The roof is very vulnerable to tears when it is deflated and one or more panels are missing. If they try to take it off with the high winds we typically get in March, they might end up with not much fabric to sell and a really big mess to clean up.

There is a spiral in the yard, out in the open. But it hasn’t been fitted with a collar yet and based on its length and relatively thinness, I suspect it is a diagonal. Probably the next diagonal needed, if it was brought into the yard. I think the next vertical spiral has yet to arrive, and that is what is holding up progress on the crown truss. I bet if one arrives tomorrow, it gets fitted with a collar and positioned up top very quickly. I would guess one of the box girders in the yard is the next one to go up.

I didn’t see Skylar lift anything today but it sure looks Iike she is up and ready to go. Agree they made more real estate for Walt today to allow him to move closer to Irving so he has room to operate without hitting the newly installed back stay on the southwest corner.

My guess is that the next move for Walt is to put up another back stay on the southwest wall or the presumably missing vertical spiral to allow continued expansion of the crown truss along the western wall. As someone else mentioned, it looks like work is also being done on the back stays for the south east diagonal corner, which lays the groundwork for crown truss expansion on the east wall of the dome all the way to the south wall.

Hopefully both cranes start working actively on expanding the crown truss tomorrow. I think they estimated it will take 2 weeks to remove the old roof. If that is true and they start work on it on March 15th, I would be shocked if the crown truss was done before the old roof was removed. My guess is that the old roof should be gone by the end of March and the crown truss completed in mid to late April.

Let’s see what happens.

To all Craniacs monitoring the Dome site: Your fellow Craniacs who cannot stream the construction are Jonesing for a Crane fix. It has been more than 12 hours and some are not handling this well. Just bringing this up for a friend...

A lot of activity around the dome. It looks like some back stay prep is continuing. Walt is still in the same spot as last night. Skylar appears to have moved a little bit more towards Forestry Drive. It also looks like a back stay or part of one is on the ground next to loading dock. There were also several yellow platforms? moved into Walt's yard. Also a yellow crane which appears to now be a part of Walt's yard.

To all Craniacs monitoring the Dome site: Your fellow Craniacs who cannot stream the construction are Jonesing for a Crane fix. It has been more than 12 hours and some are not handling this well. Just bringing this up for a friend...
I see a lot of people walking around Walt's yard. A total of four cranes (including Walt) in his yard! I'm assuming they are preparing to move Walt to be clear of the backstays. Looks like backstay work is progressing on the SE side by Skylar.

Is that small yellow crane next to walt new? Looks a lot like the white one that's been there since day 1

They should cut up old cloth roof into squares and sell them with a certification of authenticity

When it was initially installed, they started on the perimeter and finished with the diamond pieces in the middle. It will be interesting to see how they take it off. They might wait for a break in the forecast where little wind is forecast for a couple of days. The roof is very vulnerable to tears when it is deflated and one or more panels are missing. If they try to take it off with the high winds we typically get in March, they might end up with not much fabric to sell and a really big mess to clean up.
In general not much can be accomplished with winds that are gusting over 20 M.P.H. either getting further in the accomplishment of the crown truss or removing the roof. Today the wind is a constant 15 with gusts to 22. So, not much can happen. I am going to list the high daily temp and wind that is forecasted then gusts through 3/25. It looks like we will have a windy month leaving about 7 - 8 days with winds the crew can work in on both the truss and the removal of the roof. This comes from Accuweather if you'd like to check.
I am basing the Not OK wind speed on 22 M.P.H.
Hopefully some of their wind speed forecasts are off and we can get more progress made on both projects!

Tu 3/10 - 62 degrees wind 15 to 22 Not OK
We 3/11 - 44 " " 6 " 8 OK
Th 3/12 - 55 " " 9 " 14 OK
Fr 3/13 - 55 " " 18 " 23 Not OK
Sa 3/14 - 42 " " 15 " 22 Not OK
Su 3/15 - 38 " " 8 " 10 OK
Mo 3/16 - 48 " " 12 " 13 OK
Tu 3/17 - 56 " " 8 " 21 OK
We 3/18 - 54 " " 9 " 18 OK
Th 3/19 - 52 " " 10" 28 Not OK
Fr 3/20 - 50 " " 12 " 34 Not OK
Sa 3/21 - 50 " " 8 " 24 Not OK
Su 3/22 - 50 " " 1 " 6 OK
Mo3/23 - 48 " " 8 " 24 Not OK
Tu 3/24 - 45 " " 8 " 24 Not OK
We3/25 - 52 " " 10 " 22 Not OK
Th 3/26 - 46 " " 4 " 9 OK
TOTALS 8 of 17 OK

ALL CLOSED UP FOR TODAY! Take heart fellow Craniacs the day looks great for tomorrow and into the future but today WAS A BUMMER. :)