the crane the crane | Page 271 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

The white "boxes" must be insulation, because when they hooked it to the crane to put it up on the roof, the guy rigging it to the crane moved it by rolling it end over end across the staging area.

So we are looking at, most likely, Underlayment -> Insulation -> Metal Decking? Timeline seems very hard to meet based on the time it takes to put on underlayment, but they seem to be adamant they are on time.

I was just on campus. Took a couple of pictures.

IMG_1594.jpg
IMG_1595.jpg

They looked a lot like styrofoam to me. If you look closely on picture one, I think you can even see a dent or two where it got compressed.

But these containers in the first pic (it was taken from Irving Ave) are just plastic bags.
I think there are two kinds of boxes here. One with styrofoam/insulation and one with something more substantive.

The pic with the box in the air might be the latter.

Can't imagine they are just going to lay this stuff out without something heavier to hold it down.

Interesting to watch. Agree this does not look like it is going to be a quick process to get done.

They layout should be interesting then if it's Styrofoam. There are constant angle changes across the hard surface. I suppose an Exacto can trip the inmsulation to fit... but then the hard roof tiles will have to be pre-shaped to fit tightly.

They layout should be interesting then if it's Styrofoam. There are constant angle changes across the hard surface. I suppose an Exacto can trip the inmsulation to fit... but then the hard roof tiles will have to be pre-shaped to fit tightly.
Maybe we are going to cover the hard shell with a 6 foot layer of styrofoam insulation and forgo a metal exterior? Should hold in the cold from the AC in the summer and retain heat will in the winter.

Maybe Dow can pay for the naming rights. The Styro Dome sounds pretty good to me.

What is the green layer? Does that function like double sided tape?

Not sure what that green poly barrier is. This picture was a stock picture from the net that I found resembling what I see the roofers use during the expansions or new roofing projects at the facility I run around.

Not sure what that green poly barrier is. This picture was a stock picture from the net that I found resembling what I see the roofers use during the expansions or new roofing projects at the facility I run around.
Okay, cool. Wondering how the rest of the roof, however it might be constituted, is going to be attached to the understructure (and the steel below it). It looks like it is going to be a more complex install than we thought initially.

Nice to see some of the boxes get moved up top and a little progress made extending the understructure of the roof.

Disappointed that the new crane has been such a major dud. Hope they can fix it. It doesn't look good for it right now.

I will feel a lot better when that big gap in the hard steel steel is closed.

Seems like they sent everyone one early today. They got the white bags up on the roof and everyone seemed to leave. Weird.

They've pretty much disassembled #5 and are trucking away the pieces. RIP.

Quick question:. We know the outer part of the roof will be rigid, can it, too, be covered with the PTFE material?

This would ensure the same color roof across the entire roof. And it would cover the current materials.

"Geiger’s roof design is a cable truss clad partially with tension membrane and rigid panels, covering the stadium’s 23,250 m² (250,000 ft²) area."

After e mailing David Campbell yesterday I went to the Giger site clicked on Syracuse roof and thought about those "rigid panels" we haven't seen and wondered how they are going to pre fit those panels made of ????. As you go across each section requiring panels - four of them - the curvature of the roof changes from one side to the next and top to bottom. Does that curvature require that the panels bend accordingly? How do they bend them and where on site? Looking at the rendering most of the panels look square until you get to a bottom corner and then some are triangular others a shape of their own. So, again how do they make a slight curve, belly in the panels that require them. I have questions: 1. What kind of material are the blue panels already laid out in one section. 2. What is inside the white Styrofoam boxes? 3. What do they mean by "rigid", is it a composite, aluminum, some other metal that will not rust and how thick is the panel?

Upon opening my inbox this A.M. I found no reply from David Campbell, Engineer of Record for this project. He has replied once to my initial email and was very courteous. Don't know why there have been no replies to two others sent to him. Maybe Sala got to him.

Picture is of a floor from what I can tell. Could be an existing slab. Concrete is porous and actually wicks water fairly well. If it were a new slab, I would assume they’d have installed blind side insulation rather than atop the slab, but I’ve been wrong before.

Poking around the website with all the updates, haven't seen this picture posted yet. That guy must had have an incredible view (and huge cajones, harness or not!)View attachment 186036

Full set of the frankly gorgeous photos: galleries
Nice pictures but at least a week old. I think the steel frame of the hard shell looks cool and kind of wish it was going to be left exposed, which I think has been the trend for a lot of new ballparks and stadiums. I think it harkens back to the old days when the steel was exposed on the early ball parks.

I fear the fabric they are going to put up to cover the steelwork is going to deaden the crowd noise in the dome and look crappy too. Hopefully they have at least chosen material that does a good job reflecting sound.

That guy must had have an incredible view (and huge cajones, harness or not!)
Harness? Where he’s working you don’t need a harness. ;)

I hope SU has Plan B set up. It looks like a solid two or three months of work to me.

The crane issue is huge. I'm no roof load expert, but until the framing gets done in the SW corner, the metal panels can't go on.

The center hung scoreboard is lower priority IMHO. The seating to if not a huge issue is no fans are allowed. However, I'm not sure you can get occupancy approval by September 19th.

Does SU alert their conference opponents to expect to host?

Last edited:
I hope SU has Plan B set up. It looks like a solid two or three months of work to me.

The crane issue is huge. I'm no roof load expert, but until the framing gets done in the SW corner, the metal panels can't go on.

The center hung scoreboard is lower priority IMHO. The seating to is not a huge issue is no fans are allowed. However, I'm not sure you can get occupancy approval by September 19th.

With no fans they could play in the practice facility. They would just have to have it set up for tv.

The center hung scoreboard is lower priority IMHO. The seating to is not a huge issue is no fans are allowed. However, I'm not sure you can get occupancy approval by September 19th.

My understanding is that the company responsible for installing the roof was given 6 weeks to get it done. There is a substantial penalty for them if they miss that deadline.

They are just finishing week 3 now. They have made great progress to date and feel they are about 1 week ahead of schedule. But the bad crane is an issue. The problem with it is a bad motherboard.

I was told the blue fabric up on the roof is indeed PTFE. They can’t do any electronic work until the facility is water tight and are very anxious to make that happen.

Looks like they have a couple of flatbeds lined up right now to take the bad crane away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom