the crane the crane | Page 283 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I did think about this and it gave me pause. An elevator whose lowest level is at the top of a flight of stairs is a pretty useless elevator.

Unless it's an interior elevator, for access from near SU's locker room to the upper concourse? Maybe for coordinators to get to the football coaching boxes more easily?
It could be an extension of the steam loop. Since it is a loop, it would need to remain “closed”. That would explain two pipes. The fact that it is a loop that serves the entire campus from the plant on the west side of 81 means it would need some protection from breaking.

It’s chilled water piping. It’s part of the prep getting ready for the a/c that sala has been talking about. There will be 2 pipes for each coil, a supply and a return.
Wouldn’t it be better to run chilled water inside for temperature reasons? I guess I should say the same for steam, but in either case, and that was my second thought, with insulation needs, I would think running it inside would have been better. Oh well.

Wouldn’t it be better to run chilled water inside for temperature reasons? I guess I should say the same for steam, but in either case, and that was my second thought, with insulation needs, I would think running it inside would have been better. Oh well.
It would but it looks like they are building a structure around the piping. Tough to see for sure.

It would but it looks like they are building a structure around the piping. Tough to see for sure.

My thinking as well. The top(slanted) of the framing around the piping is giving me the feeling that the will be covering the entire thing so it is not visible.

The blue underlay is almost completed all the way to the northeast end Of the stadium. All that’s left is the southeast side and the section of steel they are trying to complete.

I believe they had better build a cover! You have a building that is basically very aesthetically pleasing and you do not want exposed black pipes running down one side. I believe they will take care of it or it will be the only sore spot on this building. If they repeated the design of a section of the elevator next to the entry gate it would be a logical solution.

The blue underlay is almost completed all the way to the northeast end Of the stadium. All that’s left is the southeast side and the section of steel they are trying to complete.
Screenshot (90).png

Nice picture. The sun reflecting off the hard shell roof in the NE corner of the stadium gives this shot a whole new look!
Can't wait until it's the white roof material and it looks as good as the I-81 side does currently.

At this rate, I think they might have the hard shell done by the end of the month.

Just noticed for the first time, on the open side with the white crane (esf side) there is a curved beam connected directly to the outer rim. It’s not like that on the west end. What’s the deal with that beam?

Just noticed for the first time, on the open side with the white crane (esf side) there is a curved beam connected directly to the outer rim. It’s not like that on the west end. What’s the deal with that beam?
DD, I think that curved beam you are referring to is actually an arc. It does not connect directly to the outer rim but to the small triangle that marks the midpoint of the south side of the outer rim. It looks like it connects directly because one of the spirals runs in front of it.
There is a line of arcs that runs from west to east and another from north to south. This is the final arc running from north to south.

1F569964-D823-4E25-AC9A-E302A86F4FB7.jpeg

DD, I think that curved beam you are referring to is actually an arc. It does not connect directly to the outer rim but to the small triangle that marks the midpoint of the south side of the outer rim. It looks like it connects directly because one of the spirals runs in front of it.
There is a line of arcs that runs from west to east and another from north to south. This is the final arc running from north to south.

View attachment 186561
Am I wrong that west and East aren’t that way however? So the Center bubbly section will run all the way to the wall on N and S sides?

Am I wrong that west and East aren’t that way however? So the Center bubbly section will run all the way to the wall on N and S sides?
It'll be easier to see when the steelwork is completed, but all the sides will look identical. That arc is connected to a triangle, exactly like E&W.

It'll be easier to see when the steelwork is completed, but all the sides will look identical. That arc is connected to a triangle, exactly like E&W.
Yeah I get it now

I'm still kind of curious why the roller coaster design? Is it for the look or is there an engineering advantage? I've looked at images of a number of cabled stadiums and haven't seen similar designs. Perhaps something related to the angled corners of the main concrete ring beam? My apologies if that's already been asked and answered. I thought it would make more sense to me eventually . The picture from the side above is a nice perspective.

id think monday will be the completion of the structural steel of the roof, hopefully can get the insulation and final layer completed by next weekend

I'm still kind of curious why the roller coaster design? Is it for the look or is there an engineering advantage? I've looked at images of a number of cabled stadiums and haven't seen similar designs. Perhaps something related to the angled corners of the main concrete ring beam? My apologies if that's already been asked and answered. I thought it would make more sense to me eventually . The picture from the side above is a nice perspective.
I am no structural engineer, but I believe it is because of the longer run of the tension cables lengthwise on the roof, if you did not have added height on the East and West ends the cables could not be hung properly to support the weight of the roof. The arc of the cables must be at their maximum load bearing capacity in either direction. There may be other reasons too, like supporting the added weight from the longer runs.

I drove down 81 this afternoon for the first time in years. The coaster structure up top was intriguing and I cannot wait to see the new Dome once it is completed

The new clean look of the roof really makes the old faded concrete stand out and not in a good way. Kind of like the zoom meetings of the pandemic with suit and tie to go with sweatpants. Love how it is looking though. Just hard to miss, at least from the pics, how much it stands out.

The new clean look of the roof really makes the old faded concrete stand out and not in a good way. Kind of like the zoom meetings of the pandemic with suit and tie to go with sweatpants. Love how it is looking though. Just hard to miss, at least from the pics, how much it stands out.

Great post I agree. I'm in facade engineering there are so many cool things you can do with exterior panels. I sort of think its best that they can do that face lift afterwards and make a good decision. Take your time and don't just let the architect pick something chose what you want as the owner and doing it after you've seen the roof will be better.

We'll do this when we put some cool lights on the roof and all that.

I don’t think they will do anything with the facade anytime soon. If the plan is to eventually extend the concourses, and expand the footprint of the building, anything they do to the outer walls will get lost when they make these changes anyway.