the crane the crane | Page 288 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

1598481220418.png

They have several stacks of insulation panels laid out over the next three sections on the roof.
Yes, it looks like they are going all in on getting layer two installed on the north side in the next day or two. Good stuff.

Since November I have been watching this project and in particular the crew(s) walk the steel of the crown truss and now the roof.

At times I was concerned as their steps or position seemed precarious even though they were tethered.

Today at 5:05 P.M. 5b was carrying a piece of standard 4' X 8' or perhaps double that of blue, grey material.
The op was trying to position it, I thought, on the steel directly across from the live cam to add to the roof but was having difficulty maneuvering it successfully in position. There were three crew standing on the highest part of steel - if you took on step you are on the floor. It seemed like all three grabbed the piece angled
it down over the edge of the steel and the op lowered it to the floor, just like that easy peasy, done. Cool. But this was 130' up and they handled something that the op was having a problem with like a hot knife through butter.

The point of this post is to say and I have done this before but that again the crews are very brave souls and do great work along with the crane ops who as someone said earlier maneuver steel through what seem like mazes performing difficult things but making it seem easy and I as a Craniac and Roof Observer wanted to congratulate all of them on this historic project that I believe will be finished on schedule. Great work!!
I have found that I watch the workers walking across the beams/arcs quite a bit more than I expected. I think it is a combo of being amazed at how easy they traverse up there and because I am not so good with heights.

IT makes me wonder about the interview process for a job like these guys have. Not only do prospective employers need to know their qualifications as an iron worker, but I imagine they conduct a sobriety test on a balance beam. Not to see if they are drunk but to see how they walk around above ground.

Morning update:

It is supposed to be a rotten day in Syracuse, with a high probability of thunderstorms most of the day. Winds are also high...in the 10-12 mph range.

There were some workers out on the roof but it appears it started to pour a few minutes ago and they left to take cover inside.

All but one of the cranes have been knuckled down. I am not optimistic much will get done today.

They have a lot of the materials needed to put up layer two on the north side of the building up top and in place, ready to go. But it appears you can't let the insulation get wet, and I am guessing that will preclude them from putting any up today.

Early this morning, workers were tweaking the netting that was presumably put up under some of the arcs to protect them when they attempt to install the PTFE fabric. Maybe it might be possible to install some PTFE. Don't think it matters if that gets wet. But trying to balance and do work on those arcs when they are slippery wet, exposed to strong, gusty winds, sounds like a really bad idea.

I have screen captures showing the netting and the north side of the building, with layer two materials stacked up near the ring.

The worst of the storm is happening right now. There is a special statement warning about the storm, which I have pasted below, Maybe when the bad part blows over (around 8:45 am), work can start again.

Special Weather Statement until THU 8:45 AM EDT

Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
Binghamton - NY, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Onondaga County
Description
...STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL AFFECT...WEST CENTRAL ONEIDA... NORTHWESTERN MADISON AND NORTHERN ONONDAGA COUNTIES UNTIL 845 AM EDT... At 747 AM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm over Lysander, or near Fulton, moving east at 40 mph. Wind gusts up to 50 mph will be possible with this storm. Locations impacted include... Onondaga, Syracuse, Clay, Cicero, De Witt, Lysander, Sullivan, Van Buren, Oneida and Lenox. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Heavy rainfall is also occurring with this storm, and may lead to minor flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded roadways. Frequent cloud to ground lightning is occurring with this storm. Lightning can strike 10 miles away from a thunderstorm. Seek a safe shelter inside a building or vehicle.

082720.jpg
082720a.jpg

I know the sunrise/sunset screen shots are your jam, CuseLegacy, but I couldn't resist posting this because of the natural overlay of orange in this shot. I hadn't checked this camera in a few days and when I clicked on the tab this morning, this is what greeted me. it was from 8/25
DD46ED64-B9DA-4554-AD42-3A32E5E04857.jpeg

The red tailed hawk camera has been re-positioned to better frame the dome. It should be a great place to watch as they put up layer 2 in the next couple of days.

082720b.jpg

And the storms have passed. 5b and the northeast crane are alive and well!
And they pulled back the framing for the red tailed hawk camera, presumably to include the whole building in the frame. But they went too far and we have lost a lot of detail.

Camera positioner, can you please set it up so the dome is framed in the middle of the camera field, tight enough so there is barely any space on the sides of the building?

082720c.jpg

I like the red hawk cam quite a bit. Give a real feel for what the finished product will actually look like.

Is northwest red being disassembled? Don't see it in a knuckle down position. Not visible from Link camera either.

Is northwest red being disassembled? Don't see it in a knuckle down position. Not visible from Link camera either.
It would make sense. That corner of the hard shell roof appears to be finished.

Last edited:
It was knuckled down first thing this morning - my guess is it will follow red west and exit the scene.

The red tailed hawk camera has been re-positioned to better frame the dome. It should be a great place to watch as they put up layer 2 in the next couple of days.

View attachment 186852

Is that black rectangle part of the roof or digital filtering of racy and inappropriate content?

I know the sunrise/sunset screen shots are your jam, CuseLegacy, but I couldn't resist posting this because of the natural overlay of orange in this shot. I hadn't checked this camera in a few days and when I clicked on the tab this morning, this is what greeted me. it was from 8/25
View attachment 186846
Lovely.

So, I have not looked at the "live camera" in a long time -- just reading updates here. I looked at it this morning, and it seems to be behind what has been shown here. Is there a better link?

So, I have not looked at the "live camera" in a long time -- just reading updates here. I looked at it this morning, and it seems to be behind what has been shown here. Is there a better link?
There are three live cams:

There are three live cams:

Thanks. The first link is the one I had. Why do weatherstem and red-tail look like so much more is done?