the crane the crane | Page 293 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Wow! Gives you are real view of just how little the hard roof is going to cover. Looks like at least 2/3 will be PFTE.
It is an interesting question. I think that picture is a little misleading. There are 64 panels in the PTFE section of the roof. Each of the 4 sections of the hard shell has 27 panels, so there are 108 total. Now, some of the hard shell panel are not the full sized rectangle formed by all 64 panels in the PTFE section, but more than half are. I am pretty sure your estimate of 2/3 is close to correct, but the other way. The hard shell section of the roof covers considerably more square feet than the PTFE section.

Some comments on this picture. You can for the first time clearly see the LED lighting installed above the north and south seating areas. I have highlighted them in yellow.

Also, the center hung scoreboard is supposed to be 8 sided. There will be 4 sides perpendicular to each other with a length of 62.5 feet and 4 diagonal sides on the corners (along like the shape of the dome itself), that are each 10 feet wide. It looks like they might have one side of the scoreboard in place now. Not sure where the rest of that scoreback is. Maybe it is still in North Dakota? Or somewhere en route on I90?

Also, this picture confirms what I thought was the case. Those mysterious loops were only installed on the two stretches of arcs that run east-west and north-south. I think their purpose remains a mystery.

They have extended the lying of the green material on at least 3 of the 4 edges where the hard shell and PTFE sections of the roof meet. Maybe it is some type of insulation designed to make those borders, identified by NJCuse97 as an area of design concern, as waterproof and ice free as possible. Not sure.

Can’t believe that the PTFE fabric is green.Even it it gets bleached by the sun in a couple of weeks, that just doesn’t seem like a color PTFE would be available in. Everything I read about PTFE fabric says it is usually provided in a tan color and gets bleached white by the sun. The only other color I could find it available in is black, and I would hope the new roof would not be black. The cost of cooling it would be dramatically higher if this was the case, and it would not look very good.

F4627599-47DC-4AF7-B9A4-69FF778CC5FB.jpeg

Morning update:

First, the cuse.com web site is down and has been down for at least an hour. Not good.

If you are jonesing for a look at the live cam, you can still get at it from the Hayner Hoyt web site.

Crane 5c has been busy loading materials up to the SW corner needed to get layer 2 finished there.

The NW part of the hard shell is done. The NE part is done. Work has started on the SE part (layer 2) and it even has some layer 2 up now.

Layer 2 started on the SW corner but nothing has been done there, other than finishing up layer 1, in a couple of weeks. They do have the most of the materials they need to put up layer 2 now and I would guess they will start on it soon. It looks like it will be the last to finish. The bad cranes in slot 5 are to blame.

The weather today is supposed to be bad. Heavy winds all day and a lot of rain is possible this afternoon. After today, things look good for a long time.
I don't see layer 2 getting finished by Friday but maybe by the weekend.

One thing I will mention about the parts of the roof that have layer 2 in place is that all of them appear to have flaps of excess material on the edges of the sections. You can see them moving around when it is breezy (like it will be today). There is surely going to be a cleanup on this at some point. It might be happening right now on the panels that have layer 2 installed in the SW corner, where there are a few workers walking around doing something. Why did they leave that excess material in place to begin with? Are they going to do something to make the panels of the hard shell clearly defined with black outlines, as shown on the Geiger drawing? We should find out soon.

It looks like that light green material has been placed around the border of all 4 sides of the PTFE part of the roof. There are a bunch of workers that appear to be working with it on the north side of the roof, near where the NE and NW sections meet.

Maybe something will happen with the PTFE section today. I believe the crew putting in the roof had a deadline of the end of this week to complete the roof. If they don't start on the PTFE soon, I can't see them meeting that deadline.

Still haven't seen any signs of the 8 big wooden boxes that have been sitting in the Hendricks Field storage area for months. Do they hold PTFE material? If you see some big wooden boxes appear next to a crane soon, it is a good sign the PTFE fabric material installation is about to begin.

lots of people wondering around on the roof, looks like they are hooking the velcro back up on the finished parts of the white seams after reading tomcats complaints about flapping in the wind.. Just kinda standing around on the grey but they already showed us they dont want some parts getting wet so hard to see much happening today. Pretty windy but the cranes are still up and moving tings around.

Cranes are down and camera is shaking. Per Tomcats forecast the winds must be up considerably. I bet that's a less than comfortable feeling walking around on that roof with winds like that. As we've all said, respect to those workers, they gots ballz of steel!

Only because I'm unsure, will the top of the Dome be covered by the hard roof or have natural light shining? I remember seeing renderings where the building was open.

This shot from the RTH cam features what appear to be wooden boxes placed up near the top of the hard shell edge of the roof. If I were going to install PTFE fabric, I would place the boxes holding it in these locations.

090220.jpg

Nice pic. You can tell that this was one snapped very quickly.

Looking at it closeup, it looks to me as though the crew has installed insulation below the corrugated steel that once formed the bottom of the hard shell roof.

You can see a black cable coming from under the roof on the south side of the building that heads to the border with the PTFE section of the roof and starts to describe the perimeter of it. A branch comes off and appears to be connected to the LED lighting already installed above the south stands. I am assuming this is electric service. Assuming it is being installed along the border between the hard shell and PTFE to melt any ice and snow that might collect there.

It looks like something has been placed on the outside of the steel beams of the roof as well. Some kind of a grey casing.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2 PM9/2
78°
RealFeel® 79°Cloudy
rain drop
47%

Air QualityExcellent
Max UV Index1 Low
WindS 14 mph
>>>Wind Gusts21 mph <<<
Humidity71%
Indoor Humidity71% (Very Humid)
Dew Point69° F
Cloud Cover100%
Visibility10 mi
Cloud Ceiling2000 ft

>>>Why there's no crew on the SW corner installing panels <<<. Tomorrow looks better. Each day through the weekend wind gusts are forecast to be 14+. Don't know how gusts above 10mph affect installation.

Tomorrow:

DAY
4.svg

84°Hi
RealFeel® 84°
RealFeel Shade™ 81°
9/3

Humid with times of clouds and sun
Max UV Index5 Moderate
WindS 8 mph
Wind Gusts14 mph
Probability of Precipitation14%
Probability of Thunderstorms3%
Precipitation0.00 in
Cloud Cover

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4

DAY
4.svg

75°Hi
RealFeel® 74°
RealFeel Shade™ 72°
9/4
Not as warm but pleasant with times of clouds and sun
Max UV Index4 Moderate
WindWNW 13 mph
Wind Gusts18 mph
Probability of Thunderstorms0%
Precipitation0.00 in
Cloud Cover

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 5

DAY
3.svg

74°Hi
RealFeel® 75°
RealFeel Shade™ 70°
9/5
Partly sunny and pleasant
Max UV Index6 High
WindWNW 12 mph
Wind Gusts16 mph
Probability of Precipitation9%
Precipitation0.00 in
Cloud Cover

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 6

DAY

80°Hi
RealFeel® 80°
RealFeel Shade™ 77°
9/6
Nice with sun and clouds
Max UV Index2 Low
WindS 9 mph
Wind Gusts17 mph
Probability of Precipitation12%
Probability of Thunderstorms5%
Precipitation0.00 in
Cloud Cover

2 PM9/2
78°
RealFeel® 79°Cloudy
rain drop
47%

Air QualityExcellent
Max UV Index1 Low
WindS 14 mph
>>>Wind Gusts21 mph <<<
Humidity71%
Indoor Humidity71% (Very Humid)
Dew Point69° F
Cloud Cover100%
Visibility10 mi
Cloud Ceiling2000 ft

>>>Why there's no crew on the SW corner installing panels <<<. Tomorrow looks better. Each day through the weekend wind gusts are forecast to be 14+. Don't know how gusts above 10mph affect installation.

Tomorrow:

DAY
4.svg

84°Hi
RealFeel® 84°
RealFeel Shade™ 81°
9/3

Humid with times of clouds and sun
Max UV Index5 Moderate
WindS 8 mph
Wind Gusts14 mph
Precipitation0.00 in
Cloud Cover

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4

DAY
4.svg

75°Hi
RealFeel® 74°
RealFeel Shade™ 72°
9/4
Not as warm but pleasant with times of clouds and sun
Max UV Index4 Moderate
WindWNW 13 mph
Wind Gusts18 mph
Probability of Thunderstorms0%
Precipitation0.00 in
Cloud Cover

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 5

DAY
3.svg

74°Hi
RealFeel® 75°
RealFeel Shade™ 70°
9/5
Partly sunny and pleasant
Max UV Index6 High
WindWNW 12 mph
Wind Gusts16 mph
Probability of Precipitation9%
Precipitation0.00 in
Cloud Cover

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 6

DAY

80°Hi
RealFeel® 80°
RealFeel Shade™ 77°
9/6
Nice with sun and clouds
Max UV Index2 Low
WindS 9 mph
Wind Gusts17 mph
Probability of Precipitation12%
Probability of Thunderstorms5%
Precipitation0.00 in
Cloud Cover
I think high winds are a factor when it comes to installing layer two. Those layers of installation are just laid down in place. It is REALLY windy right now. Up on the hill, up 100 plus feet in the air, I bet they are in the range of 25 or 30 MPH. I think those insulation panels could get blown all over the place.

Unfortunately, I think today is a wrap on most outside activities. Any meaningful work is going to happen inside. Bummer but at least the forecast is excellent for the next week or so. That should be enough to finish the roof. I think.

Is it just me or are there some crazy lines throwing off the aesthetic? Also, seems a bit dark even w/out the ptfe on. I am sure it looks better in person and with LEDs.
1599073161395.png

It is an interesting question. I think that picture is a little misleading. There are 64 panels in the PTFE section of the roof. Each of the 4 sections of the hard shell has 27 panels, so there are 108 total. Now, some of the hard shell panel are not the full sized rectangle formed by all 64 panels in the PTFE section, but more than half are. I am pretty sure your estimate of 2/3 is close to correct, but the other way. The hard shell section of the roof covers considerably more square feet than the PTFE section.

Some comments on this picture. You can for the first time clearly see the LED lighting installed above the north and south seating areas. I have highlighted them in yellow.

Also, the center hung scoreboard is supposed to be 8 sided. There will be 4 sides perpendicular to each other with a length of 62.5 feet and 4 diagonal sides on the corners (along like the shape of the dome itself), that are each 10 feet wide. It looks like they might have one side of the scoreboard in place now. Not sure where the rest of that scoreback is. Maybe it is still in North Dakota? Or somewhere en route on I90?

Also, this picture confirms what I thought was the case. Those mysterious loops were only installed on the two stretches of arcs that run east-west and north-south. I think their purpose remains a mystery.

They have extended the lying of the green material on at least 3 of the 4 edges where the hard shell and PTFE sections of the roof meet. Maybe it is some type of insulation designed to make those borders, identified by NJCuse97 as an area of design concern, as waterproof and ice free as possible. Not sure.

Can’t believe that the PTFE fabric is green.Even it it gets bleached by the sun in a couple of weeks, that just doesn’t seem like a color PTFE would be available in. Everything I read about PTFE fabric says it is usually provided in a tan color and gets bleached white by the sun. The only other color I could find it available in is black, and I would hope the new roof would not be black. The cost of cooling it would be dramatically higher if this was the case, and it would not look very good.

View attachment 187169
A quick search supplied info that this materials properties are particularly good for making waterproof seals. Perhaps this green material is only being used for the interfaces.
As I look at where it seems to be located that would seem to make sense.

Last edited:
I swear there's a dip in the framework just below the bottom right of your blue square.
I have thought there was a dip there since they first put that steel up. I would assume intentional since they would have already fixed if not.