The dome... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The dome...

astronauts-orange-spacesuits-100602-02.jpg

Wait until Nike gets a hold of them.
109909430-the-space-shuttle-discovery-crew-pose-after-gettyimages.jpg

I don't see how a retractable roof can even be remotely justified with cost/benefit analysis. It's Syracuse, New York.

AAM62 said:
I don't see how a retractable roof can even be remotely justified with cost/benefit analysis. It's Syracuse, New York.
and it sees all its action in winter months

It would cost a couple hundred million just to build the structure that could support the roof (retractable or not). It will not be the current Carrier Dome with a new roof.

I'll take that 200 million contract...

If the people that got the dome built in the 1980's thought this way it would have never gotten done. Which would mean in all likelihood the basketball team as we know it today wouldn't exist.

If the people that got the dome built in the 1980's thought this way it would have never gotten done. Which would mean in all likelihood the basketball team as we know it today wouldn't exist.
The original Dome was (is) much more functional than a bells-and-whistles retractable roof would ever be.

And, the main reason the dome was built in the first place was politics. The new Governor, Hugh Carey, was looking for a way to make a splash upstate, and he came up with the $15M to get the project off the ground.

Yeah and the turf has ~10 year life span. I just couldn't recall if it had been replaced yet on not. I'm really pushing to try and make the Spring game this year and was curious if it was already in place. Makes sense that they would wait until August (right before the season) to replace it though.

Field Turf has a ~10 year life span if it is used outdoors. It has been said that it can last way longer if in a dome.

I don't know what a transparent ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) membrane roof would cost, but it would be a huge improvement and IMO make a retractable rook unneeded.

Anything substantial would be a real boost for the program. It doesn't have to be a Taj Mahal since it would still be a dome and unique to CFB.

Clear ETFE Roof with corresponding retractable shades inside the roof would be badass.

The original Dome was (is) much more functional than a bells-and-whistles retractable roof would ever be.

And, the main reason the dome was built in the first place was politics. The new Governor, Hugh Carey, was looking for a way to make a splash upstate, and he came up with the $15M to get the project off the ground.

...Yeah, and back then the roof would have been a hand crank roof.

well I know he was involved but not sure of your facts. I did find this as a reference though and what it the best part is that NYC got a 300 million dollar state grant that year for the Jacob Javits Center, in 1978.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....ity_fought_over_plans_to_build_an_su_sta.html

so what would 300 million dollars in 1978 be worth in 2015 you ask?
$300,000,000.00 in 1978 had the same buying power as $1,134,357,487.92 in 2015. Annual inflation over this period was 3.66%. Here you are and once again it appears Upstate NY got the short end of the stick on this one http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm and

well I know he was involved but not sure of your facts. I did find this as a reference though and what it the best part is that NYC got a 300 million dollar state grant that year for the Jacob Javits Center, in 1978.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....ity_fought_over_plans_to_build_an_su_sta.html
http://dailyorange.com/2013/08/loudhouse-legacy-after-33-years-carrier-dome-evolves-into-su-icon/

Syracuse chose to level up: Construction on the Dome started in 1979. New York Gov. Hugh Carey poured $15 million in state money into the project, calling it a public-private partnership.

so many retractable teams don't use it. They don't want anyone to get soaked by something unexpected when they're not dressed for it. So they err on the side of caution

It also won't drain, it's not built for it.

A new teflon roof will last 20-25 years. That'll get us into the 2040's when the Dome is over 60 years old.

What's the life expectancy of the Dome anyways?

70 years? 90 years? 100+ years?

Immortality has no life expectancy.

http://dailyorange.com/2013/08/loudhouse-legacy-after-33-years-carrier-dome-evolves-into-su-icon/

Syracuse chose to level up: Construction on the Dome started in 1979. New York Gov. Hugh Carey poured $15 million in state money into the project, calling it a public-private partnership.
Interesting point in that article, thanks for linking it:

"Even at a 26,000-person limit, Archbold was rarely full, he said, calling the stadium a detriment to the football program. “At this point, Syracuse University had to make the decision as to whether they were going to continue to play big-time college football or go down to the next tier,” Berkowitz said. “It was that close.”

Interesting point in that article, thanks for linking it:

"Even at a 26,000-person limit, Archbold was rarely full, he said, calling the stadium a detriment to the football program. “At this point, Syracuse University had to make the decision as to whether they were going to continue to play big-time college football or go down to the next tier,” Berkowitz said. “It was that close.”
I think the dome is the most significant/impactful building built in Syracuse in my lifetime. It helped make the basketball team a powerhouse and helped football step it up to a new level. We are at a crossroads again.

All thanks to Richard Nixon.

Republican Nelson Rockefeller resigned as Governor of NY to become Ford's Vice President in 1974. With Rocky out of the way, a Democrat took over Albany for the first time since 1958.

And Carey open up the checkbook.

If Rocky was still running things, there would never have been a Dome, and we might be playing in the Patriot League.

All thanks to Richard Nixon.

Republican Nelson Rockefeller resigned as Governor of NY to become Ford's Vice President in 1974. With Rocky out of the way, a Democrat took over Albany for the first time since 1958.

And Carey open up the checkbook.

If Rocky was still running things, there would never have been a Dome, and we might be playing in the Patriot League.
I'm not sure about that. Rocky was not afraid to spend--see $2B (back when a billion was a big deal) for the Empire State Plaza (Rocky's Folly).

Not sure why this makes sense. How does a retractable roof decrease functionality?

Not sure why this makes sense. How does a retractable roof decrease functionality?
Where did I use the word "decrease"? I said that the original dome was, and is, much more functional than a retractable roof would be.

Where did I use the word "decrease"? I said that the original dome was, and is, much more functional than a retractable roof would be.
If it is more functional, then you are saying it has more function that it would with a retractable roof. If it has more function, you are saying function will decrease if they go to a retractable roof.

If it is more functional, then you are saying it has more function that it would with a retractable roof. If it has more function, you are saying function will decrease if they go to a retractable roof.
Nope. I'm looking at it as two separate entities.

Nope. I'm looking at it as two separate entities.
Let's just go back to square 1. You said, "The original Dome was (is) much more functional than a bells-and-whistles retractable roof would ever be."

So what function does the original dome have that a "bells-and-whistles retractable roof " dome would not have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom