The Downside - BC II | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - BC II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- That was last year’s game at the Conte Forum all over again, just when we didn’t need it. Boston College played an excellent game, handling the ball very well, passing it well and shooting it well – and quickly. They shredded our zone and we had the usual dry periods on offense during which the Eagles just kept scoring. They beat us down court repeatedly. We again brought the ball up slowly, even in the late going when we had to make a big comeback. Again, we couldn’t seem to penetrate the defense with passing. It was either long shots or long drives which give the defense maximum time to react. They looked like the team that needed this game to get into the NCAAs and we looked like a team playing out the string.

- Let’s look at the box scores from the game in the Dome and this one. In the game at the Dome we were 22 for 32 from two point range and out-scored them in the paint 30-14. In this game, we were 9 for 26 inside the arc and were out-scored in the paint 12-20.

- In that game, our “Big Three” of Battle, Howard and Brissett scored 55 points. In this game they scored 64 points. But the other guys scored 26 points in the Dome, including 14 from Chukwu and 12 from Dolezaj. The other guys scored 6 points tonight. Chukwu had 4 and Moyer 2. Dolezaj played 24 minutes and never attempted a shot. Moyer attempted one in 20 minutes, an 8 foot turnaround airball. (he got a couple of free throws to go in). You can’t beat a good offensive team going 3 on five..

- We had 11 turnovers in the Dome to 17 for BC. Points off turnovers were 17-6. In this game we had 15 turnovers, (8 unforced) and they had 10. Points off turnovers were 18-19.

- Assists in the Dome were 11-14, a good ratio for us, since we prefer to drive to the basket. Tonight they were 8-19.

- I had thought our defense had made a comeback against Duke but the Blue Devil’s game against Va Tech suggest that their problems were on their end. All our good post season runs have been keyed by defense and this team just isn’t playing very much of it right now. JB said after the first Wake Forest game that our reputation as a strong rebounding team was “an illusion”. Right now our reputation as a good defensive team sure seems like one. BC did whatever it wanted to tonight.

- JB actually admitted his players were tired in his presser. Which means they must be exhausted. We are running on “E”. I hope we don’t see a 40 minute game all next season. (But we likely will.)

- It certainly won’t be a surprise if we wind up in the NIT again. We’ve played like an NIT team all year.

Last edited:
I don’t agree that we will see players playing 40 minutes a game next year also because we will have more players. However thanks for your analysis as always

- That was last year’s game at the Conte Forum all over again, just when we didn’t need it. Boston College played an excellent game, handling the ball very well, passing it well and shooting it well – and quickly. They shredded our zone and we had the usual dry periods on offense during which the Eagles just kept scoring. They beat us down court repeatedly. We again brought the ball up slowly, even in the late going when we had to make a big comeback. Again, we couldn’t seem to penetrate the defense with passing. It was either long shots or long drives which give the defense maximum time to react. They looked like the team that needed this game to get into the NCAAs and we looked like a team playing out the string.

- Let’s look at the box scores from the game in the Dome and this one. In the game at the Dome we were 22 for 32 from two point range and out-scored them in the paint 30-14. In this game, we were 9 for 26 inside the arc and were out-scored in the paint 12-20.

- In this game, our “Big Three” of Battle, Howard and Brissett scored 55 points. In this game they scored 64 points. But the other guys scored 26 points in the Dome, including 14 from Chukwu and 12 from Dolezaj. The other guys scored 6 points tonight. Chukwu and 4 and Moyer 2. Dolezaj played 24 minutes and never attempted a shot. Moyer attempted one in 20 minutes, an 8 foot turnaround airball. (he got a couple of free throws to go in). You can’t beat a good offensive team going 3 on five..

- We had 11 turnovers in the Dome to 17 for BC. Points off turnovers were 17-6. In this game we had 15 turnovers, (8 unforced) and they had 10. Points off turnovers were 18-19.

- Assists in the Dome were 11-14, a good ratio for us, since we prefer to drive to the basket. Tonight they were 8-19.

- I had thought our defense had made a comeback against Duke but the Blue Devil’s game against Va Tech suggest that their problems were on their end. All our good post season runs have been keyed by defense and this team just isn’t playing very much of it right now. JB said after the first Wake Forest game that our reputation as a strong rebounding team was “an illusion”. Right now our reputation as a good defensive team sure seems like one. BC did whatever it wanted to tonight.

- JB actually admitted his players were tired in his presser. Which means they must be exhausted. We are running on “E”. I hope we don’t see a 40 minute game all next season. (But we likely will.)

- It certainly won’t be a surprise if we wind up in the NIT again. We’ve played like an NIT team all year.
I wish I could disagree with any of your observations.

Downside, the offense didn't even TRY and get Chu/Mer/Moy into the offensive flow. IMHO, if i was one of those kids, i'd be very depressed about that situation. No matter how much of a team player I am. Not scoring is on thing, not part of THE TEAM is another.
Downside, playing in the NIT, at home and maybe not even favored?
Downside, Chu looked to be in pain running the floor, can he play more than 2 more games. Apparently Sib isn't going to be much help.

Downside, the offense didn't even TRY and get Chu/Mer/Moy into the offensive flow. IMHO, if i was one of those kids, i'd be very depressed about that situation. No matter how much of a team player I am. Not scoring is on thing, not part of THE TEAM is another.
Downside, playing in the NIT, at home and maybe not even favored?
Downside, Chu looked to be in pain running the floor, can he play more than 2 more games. Apparently Sib isn't going to be much help.
Our offense is pure playground pick-up ball. Marek averaged 15 or 16 pts a game when he played for a real team. This is the ugliest Syracuse basketball I,ve ever seen. Battle is playing for the scouts without realizing that they look for players that also make their teamates better. They want winners. Has JB lost control of the team? He says that this offense is by design. First time we played BC everyone was involved. This time, just the big 3. The results speak for themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom