The Downside - Georgia Tech II | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Georgia Tech II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- For a 29 point victory that started 16-4, there were some nervous moments in that game. After taking that 16-4 lead we went 6 minutes and 35 seconds in which we scored 2 points. We were 1 for 6 from the field, missed two free throws, (Tyler Roberson blew a lay-up and got fouled, which is the equivalent of a turnover) and committed two actual two actual turnovers. Fortunately our defense was good and we gave up only 7 points in that stretch and retained a 18-11 lead. Then we got the offense going again and expanded that to 38-22. That’s what Syracuse teams used to do: use the defense to stay in the game – or in control of it- through a scoring slump and then take a commanding lead when we started scoring again.

- Then we had this 38-22 lead with 1:30 left in the half. Jimmy Satalin said on the radio that he hoped we could get a 20 point halftime lead, (coaches love 20 point halftime leads). It certainly seemed possible. But Tech scored the next 13 points in a row. This time both our offense, 0 for 4 with 2 turnovers), and our defense, (13 points surrendered in 4:15). Andrew White got us out it with a couple of treys and a battle lay-up gave us a 46-37 lead but the visitors closed to 46-41, (when Lydon hit his big shot) and then 49-44. Then White took over again with a couple more threes and the last 12 minutes were 41-17, Syracuse.

- If you look at the box score, there were really only two differences between the teams: We hit 15 of 24 three pointers compared to 5 for 20 for Tech and we were 17 for 22 from the foul line to their 6 for 11. What if we aren’t red hot from outside and aren’t getting the calls?

- Player’s tendencies are sometimes hard to understand. John Gillon won’t start his drives anywhere but out front. He often has the ball over to the side to start a set and he’s only guarded by one guy there. He could get around that guy and have a red carpet to the basket. But he won’t drive from there. He’s got to dribble toward the center of the court and start his move from there, where three guys will be waiting for him.

- I’m convinced that not shooting has become a psychological thing for Tyler Lydon. Even on his big three, he actually had a closer shot that was more open, (but still a three), earlier tin that possession. The one he wound up taking was a contested 25 footer but he made it. There were several other times when he makeable shots in the paint but passed the ball back out , not necessarily for open shots, (although he did get 3 assists), On one ugly sequence, he made a good move on Lammers and would have about a 6 foot open shot but instead passed the ball out to the side where Tyus Battle had his back foot on the sideline. Offensively, he’s playing like a 6-9 version of Craig Forth, who always played as if he was offensive option #6. Craig was an under-rated player but Tyler Lydon is a much greater talent and he’s not using all of it. With all the firepower we’ve got on the outside with White, Battle and Gillon, Tyler should be having a field day. But he isn’t because he’s always being double-teamed: by the defender and by Tyler Lydon.

- Coaches have strange tendencies, too. Battle was hot early and White went off in the second half but during the period we were struggling. Tech was in everybody’s face outside and we weren’t getting any penetration. The top of the key was wide open and we have two guys who can score from there: Lydon and Thompson. And they would make good intermediate passing targets who could feed the baseline or pass it back out. But we will not put anyone there.

Last edited:
We do a poor job of feeding Lydon the ball. There is not a concerted effort to work the ball down low, maybe due to mismatches? Take away the scoring opportunities and yeah, you're gonna see some reaction from any player who, like Lydon, may not be getting the touches. I have no data to back up that assertion, just a sense.

Lydon passed up a number of open perimeter shots when he either hesitated allowing his man to recover or pump fake and then do nothing but pass off. Lately he seems not to want to take the open shots, like he isn't comfortable shooting unless he has an inordinate amount of space. Note: that's not the look of an NBA player and scouts will likely notice.

Good insights on JG III and Tyler Lydon. Tyler reminds me a lot of Craig Forth. Good all-around game but not very aggressive, even timid on offense. If memory serves, Tyler was more aggressive last year.

If you had said that last year, I would have laughed. It's almost as if someone had plated voodoo on him(no offense to the Tyler Ennis nickname thread, where OttoInGrotto annointed me to rise above this field of mediocrity!).

Maybe the spell wears off and he will suddenly return to where most would have projected him to be now, at the end of last season. Hopefully it wears off before we start the post season, and maybe he pulls a Malachi. ;)

-
- If you look at the box score, there were really only two differences between the teams: We hit 15 of 24 three pointers compared to 5 for 20 for Tech and we were 17 for 22 from the foul line to their 6 for 11. What if we aren’t red hot from outside and aren’t getting the calls?
Are there many more things that can make a difference? Rebounding, specifically Offensive rebounds. Assists maybe but that is most often reflected in making 3 pointer.

Turnovers.
True, but like assists, the difference usually is not very much which again like assists, a sight difference can be point the way on a close game, but 3 pt differential is 3 points for each shot. Turnovers may or may not lead to points. Even off rebounds. may not. SU made 4 more shots than GT, in itself may not lead to a win but when there is a 10 shot made difference in 3 points, even making 10 fewer shots means you win.

True, but like assists, the difference usually is not very much which again like assists, a sight difference can be point the way on a close game, but 3 pt differential is 3 points for each shot. Turnovers may or may not lead to points. Even off rebounds. may not. SU made 4 more shots than GT, in itself may not lead to a win but when there is a 10 shot made difference in 3 points, even making 10 fewer shots means you win.

the thing is, even for a good shooting team, three point shots is the biggest variable. You always hope you will get hot but it's not a tool you cna use to dominate games aon a regular basis.

wow. my post detailing prior chat room grievances comparing Forth to Lydon got deleted. Must be nice to be a chosen one.

At the game, it *seemed* like GaTech had a TON more turnovers than we did, but ended up much closer than it appeared.

I shouted "TYLER JUST SHOOT IT!!!" several times.

We butchered the end of half sequence, yet again.
Between the 4-0 to close the 1st, and 9-0 to open the 2nd, it was "Uh oh, here we go again with the Cardiac Cuse", but then Uncle Drew went to Plaid, and that was ballgame.

Frank Howard gave us nothing. Oh Lord
And - when all the chanting of WE WANT COLEMAN and DA JUAN COLEMAN was finally answered, Frank didn't even look to attempt to get him the ball once. :bang:

the thing is, even for a good shooting team, three point shots is the biggest variable. You always hope you will get hot but it's not a tool you cna use to dominate games aon a regular basis.
Oh very true. The point was that of all the statistical differences, 3 pt baskets are the mathematical leader. TO's, steals, rebounds, are important but don't necessarily lead to points. Assists by definition do but assists on 3 pters aren't worth more while a 3 pt basket is, so having 5 assists on the same # of baskets mean nothing, but 5 more 3 pters on the same # of baskets made means 5 pts.

Oh very true. The point was that of all the statistical differences, 3 pt baskets are the mathematical leader. TO's, steals, rebounds, are important but don't necessarily lead to points. Assists by definition do but assists on 3 pters aren't worth more while a 3 pt basket is, so having 5 assists on the same # of baskets mean nothing, but 5 more 3 pters on the same # of baskets made means 5 pts.

Some years back I did a study based on 20 years of SU stats and the one that most directly compared to winning percentage was 2 point field goal percentage. 3 Point percentage was down the list, less important than the % of field goal attempts that were from three point range. The more teams relied on the three pointer, the less likely they were to win.

Some years back I did a study based on 20 years of SU stats and the one that most directly compared to winning percentage was 2 point field goal percentage. 3 Point percentage was down the list, less important than the % of field goal attempts that were from three point range. The more teams relied on the three pointer, the less likely they were to win.
As the game evolves and the 3-point shot becomes more prevalent, I would not be surprised if those correlations also change.

That's funny b/c that is exactly how I feel watching this team. I really want them to feed the ball down low more, or drive to the hoop ... basically do anything but shoot jump shots all night long.

That's funny b/c that is exactly how I feel watching this team. I really want them to feed the ball down low more, or drive to the hoop ... basically do anything but shoot jump shots all night long.

Well - it makes all the sense in the world.
2 points shots at a high % generally come on dunks, layups, and put-backs - all very high % shots.
If you're getting a lot of those, you're scoring easily inside - and if you're doing that, you tend to win a lot of games.

This team doesn't have any low-post presence, doesn't get a lot of fast-break points, doesn't throw many lobs, and only gets sporadic driving from Battle and Gillon. It's not built for getting a lot of high % 2pt looks, unfortunately.

Which is why the season has gone how it has - when we're having a hot shooting night, we can beat literally anybody.
And when we're not - we can lose to literally anybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom