The Downside- NC State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- NC State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Gbinije’s great game disguised the fact that we didn’t really play that much better than we did against Louisville or Pittsburgh. His teammates were 4 for 19 from three point range. We had 17 turnovers. We won the boards in the first half, 21-19 but lost them 15-19 in the second. We had a 51-34 second half lead and let it melt to 61-56 before G-man hit a couple of monster threes to get it back out 10. If we are looking for a memorable end of season run we will need more than a career game by Michael to get us what we want. He’s going to need a lot more help than he got today.

- I was hoping with all the controversy over Tyler Roberson and Trevor Cooney that they’d decide to really show the coach and the fans something and have big games. It just didn’t happen. Tyler followed up a 0 points, 4 rebound performance against Pittsburgh with a 4 point 3 rebound performance against NC State, plus a number of defensive lapses JB sited in his press conference. I hope his feelings weren’t hurt.

- Trevor sure played hard. He didn’t get credited with a steal but disrupted several passes. He was running all over the court, trying to make plays. He had an amazing in-bounds save that resulted in an assists for another player and a basket for a third. He had a great inbounds pass to Malachi Richardson that Mal let bounce off his hands for a turnover and fast break basket for the Wolfpack, a crying shame. But Trevor’s positon isn’t “play hard guard”. It’s ‘shooting’ guard. He’s got to score to justify the playing time he gets. In the last two games he’s played 66 minutes and he’s shot the ball 17 times. So far, so good. Two of those shots have gone in. He’s 1 for 13 from the line in those two games. He’s scored 8 points in those 66 minutes, which translates to 5 per 40 minutes. I have him for -10 “net points” in the two games. He had two air balls today. His first shot was that rarity: an air ball that wasn’t short. It had the distance but was so far to the right I thought Scott Norwood had kicked it. You can debate Trevor Cooney all you want. What can’t be debated is that we’re going to need a lot more than that from him to accomplish anything the rest of the season.

- The freshmen had productive games but each had a downside to go with them. After a 9 point first half, Richardson got just four points in the second half and had that awful gaffe on Cooney’s terrific in-bounds pass. Tyler Lydon missed four completely wide-open three pointers in a row in the second half. Frank Howard was playing well until he threw a half-pass. What is a half-pass? It’s a turnover, that’s what it is. He had a great seat to watch the rest of the game.

- DaJuan Coleman also had a good game overall but, as JB said in his press conference, he had a couple of rebounds that were coming right to him but he couldn’t get them because he couldn’t get off the ground. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

- I was thinking early in the second half that “One thing about the ACC refs: for the most part they stay out of it and let the players decide the game.” They then called 24 second half fouls (after calling 11 in the first half.). They put the team that was behind into the double bonus with about 10 minutes to go in the game. And the Wolfpack took advantage: they made 16 second half fouls shots, (compared to 2 in the first half), scoring with no time going off the clock. It was the perfect thing for a team trying to make a comeback. There were many inconsistent calls and to some “make=up calls to make it look as if things were called evenly. It was as if we had a different refereeing crew for the second half than the first half.

- I’ve always said that a college basketball team is a jigsaw puzzle without all the prices. The coach has to figure out how to put together the pieces he has in such a way that what is missing is disguised or minimized and what he does have is maximized. Still, the mind wanders into fantasies about what one team might have been like if it has what another team had. What Michael Gbinije is now is exactly what we needed two years ago when the offense sputtered and died at the end of the season- and Michael was on that team! I even think he had the same skills we’ve seen now, (perhaps not as refined). But he seemed to defer to his teammates and didn’t contribute much. And what would this year’s team have been with last year’s Rakeem Christmas inside? What would the team two years ago have been with this year’s Michael Gbinije and last year’s Rakeem Christmas?
charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

Maybe I should think about something else.

Last edited:
I made two observations on DCII today. First, if he had hands on his elbows he'd be a hell of a rebounder. Second, and the real observation, he simply can not get off the floor. Instead of jumping and trying to secure rebounds with both hands I think he tries to reach for them with one (because he can reach higher that way) and ends up tapping or tipping balls more than he secures them.

The turnovers were brutal today. Many, many unforced errors. NC State knew that our early possession offense consists of a lot of bullshit pass it around the arc, and we especially like to have the ball handler at the top of the key looking throw a pass to a guy coming towards him from the corner/baseline and they seemed to step in front of a number of these passes. They were just lazy passes. Get it together guys.

I can only imagine Cooney's loss of confidence and bewilderment that his shots are not going in. He practices and practices. It has been suggested before that he over-practices and over-intensifies. I don't think the Zen Fairy is going to visit him at this point in his career. He had so many family members there, including grandparents. :(

We don't have consistency. G may not show up at all for Carolina. We just don't know.

-

- The freshmen had productive games but each had a downside to go with them. After a 9 point first half, Richardson got just four points in the second half and had that awful gaffe on Cooney’s terrific in-bounds pass. Tyler Lydon missed four completely wide-open three pointers in a row in the second half. Frank Howard was playing well until he threw a half-pass. What is a half-pass? It’s a turnover, that’s what it is. He had a great seat to watch the rest of the game.

Good observation - I said the same thing after the game. Lydon and Richardson have been special freshmen because their contributions are usually either non-existent or positive. They very rarely do negative things. Yesterday, not so much.

Hope Lydon comes out shooting decisively tomorrow night. He aimed the last one and looked like he was thinking about those consecutive misses.

Good observation - I said the same thing after the game. Lydon and Richardson have been special freshmen because their contributions are usually either non-existent or positive. They very rarely do negative things. Yesterday, not so much.

Hope Lydon comes out shooting decisively tomorrow night. He aimed the last one and looked like he was thinking about those consecutive misses.

Lydon is one of the few freshman that I haven't seen receive a famous JB lecture very much at all. Granted, they don't show the bench the entire game.

Lydon is one of the few freshman that I haven't seen receive a famous JB lecture very much at all. Granted, they don't show the bench the entire game.

Yep, same deal in person. Part of it might be that it would be gratuitous piling on to light up the kid for defensive mistakes at center, a position he has no business playing.

But the kid is savvy. Plays a lot of error-free minutes. For me, that made a couple of yesterday's lapses stand out a little bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom