The Downside - Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It’s been a few years since we had a loss like this: a chance to win right into our hands, a bad mistake and suddenly the other teams has won. (I’m thinking the 12/20/ 14 game at Villanova, which we lost in OT 77-82: I remember a couple of bad turnovers in the final seconds.)

- And it came at a critical time, when we needed to win there last two games and didn’t. Now we play Virginia and Florida State on the road and are looking it 12-4, 1-4 before we come back home. The schedule is back-loaded with tonight games so we need to build up our record now. Instead we are spoiling it.

- What happened to our rebounding? We’d out-rebounded everybody through 14 games. Then, in these last two games, two losses by a total of 8 points, we got out-rebounded by 56-80. One possible reason is that the other team’s big guys are physically stronger than our string-beans and their height and reach aren’t enough. That’s not going to change.

- Another possible reason was brought up by SU color man Jimmy Satalin: because we are no threat to fast break, Notre Dame could send five guys to the boards. Their guards had 11 rebounds between them. Ours had 6.

- What happened to our “take it to the hole” game? We were 10 for 28 on two point shots and only got the line 6 times.

- The definition of an ugly game: the two teams had 18 assists and 27 turnovers. Our point guard, Frank Howard, was 4 and 4. He’s now 93 and 68 for the season, a ratio of 1.4-1. You want at least 2-1.

- Ohsae Brissett had 10 rebounds in the first half, one in the second. He was 3 for 15 from the field and all three were three pointers. He was 0 for 8 on two point shots and only got to the line twice. In his previous six games he’d been averaging 10 free throw attempts per game. He just seemed tentative and uncertain of what he wanted to do.

- Paschal Chuwku, 7-2, had 3 rebounds in 29 minutes, all in the first half.

- Matthew Moyer had an assist and a foul in 8 minutes and sat on the bench the rest of the game. His replacement, Marek Dolezaj had 2 rebounds in 32 minutes.

- Satalin said throughout this game and the last one that the team just seemed to lack energy and thei body language was bad.

- Accurater told me before the Wake game that this team is fun to root for. Are we still having fun?

- It’s been a few years since we had a loss like this: a chance to win right into our hands, a bad mistake and suddenly the other teams has won. (I’m thinking the 12/20/ 14 game at Villanova, which we lost in OT 77-82: I remember a couple of bad turnovers in the final seconds.)

- And it came at a critical time, when we needed to win there last two games and didn’t. Now we play Virginia and Florida State on the road and are looking it 12-4, 1-4 before we come back home. The schedule is back-loaded with tonight games so we need to build up our record now. Instead we are spoiling it.

- What happened to our rebounding? We’d out-rebounded everybody through 14 games. Then, in these last two games, two losses by a total of 8 points, we got out-rebounded by 56-80. One possible reason is that the other team’s big guys are physically stronger than our string-beans and their height and reach aren’t enough. That’s not going to change.

- Another possible reason was brought up by SU color man Jimmy Satalin: because we are no threat to fast break, Notre Dame could send five guys to the boards. Their guards had 11 rebounds between them. Ours had 6.

- What happened to our “take it to the hole” game? We were 10 for 28 on two point shots and only got the line 6 times.

- The definition of an ugly game: the two teams had 18 assists and 27 turnovers. Our point guard, Frank Howard, was 4 and 4. He’s now 93 and 68 for the season, a ratio of 1.4-1. You want at least 2-1.

- Ohsae Brissett had 10 rebounds in the first half, one in the second. He was 3 for 15 from the field and all three were three pointers. He was 0 for 8 on two point shots and only got to the line twice. In his previous six games he’d been averaging 10 free throw attempts per game. He just seemed tentative and uncertain of what he wanted to do.

- Paschal Chuwku, 7-2, had 3 rebounds in 29 minutes, all in the first half.

- Matthew Moyer had an assist and a foul in 8 minutes and sat on the bench the rest of the game. His replacement, Marek Dolezaj had 2 rebounds in 32 minutes.

- Satalin said throughout this game and the last one that the team just seemed to lack energy and thei body language was bad.

- Accurater told me before the Wake game that this team is fun to root for. Are we still having fun?

There is no upside. The bottomline is that we lost to a bad team without their two key players. With the key players, Notre Dame lost to Ball State and Indiana. The selection committee will see Syracuse is worse than teams like Indiana and Ball State in March. We are doomed by this loss.

"- Accurater told me before the Wake game that this team is fun to root for. Are we still having fun?"

No.

There is no upside. The bottomline is that we lost to a bad team without their two key players. With the key players, Notre Dame lost to Ball State and Indiana. The selection committee will see Syracuse is worse than teams like Indiana and Ball State in March. We are doomed by this loss.

Notre Dame is not a bad team.

We need to find 9 ACC wins to get into the tourney this year. We just pissed away two games we should have won. It's going to be real tough now to get those 9 wins. Not looking good.

So Moyer plays so-so in the first half, and ends up sitting the rest of the game? This on a thin team w/ a bunch of string beans on the back line?
I mean, give the kid a chance to play better, JB! Let him at least spot the guys for breathers and maybe, just maybe, redeem himself in the 2nd half? Sheesh!

They aren't a great team either, and they were minus their two best players. It's an abysmal loss.

They just blew out NC State without those two guys and then NC State beat Duke. Welcome to the ACC. Hopefully we can get a couple we are not supposed to win.

A couple things (not sure where to post):

Did anyone see Marek get thrown down near the end of the game after being put essentially in a headlock? My brother did not see it on TV, and I saw it pretty up close?

Were the refs bad? Seems like the charge call on Frank was bogus (Hodor slid in front). It also seemed like the refs did not call any of the 5+ moving screens on ND. It looked like a ND guy dropped his shoulder into Battle's face when Tyus was trying to get by the screen on one play. I am not blaming the refs on the loss, but momentum was crushed after a few bad calls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom