The Downside- Pittsburgh | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Pittsburgh

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Our goals are rather skimpy at this point. We’re down to a winning conference record, (we need two wins in the final four games) and a 20 win season, (we’d have to go 3-1 now). This “home stand” of three games was a chance to make some real progress toward those goals. We were in sight of gong 3-0 and went 1-2.

- Already down 2 NBA jumpers and two knee injuries, Tyler Roberson collided with an elbow under that basket and, the words of Matt Park, “looked like he’d taken on Mayweather and Pacquiao” and had to spend much of the first half in the locker room, then was understandably sluggish when he did return. Meanwhile Trevor Cooney went to the locker room with a stiff back, which may explain why he’s now missed his last 14 shots. It was just too much to overcome.

- Why is it that every time our guys hit someone with their elbow the refs take a half hour of looking at the monitor to decide whether to throw him out of the game or not but when our guy gets his forehead split open, it “Play on!”

- I thought Pitino had suspended "Chris Jones". (I'm kinda glad he did or we might 0-3 on the home stand.)

- Michael Gbinije seemed strangely silent, (literally) during much of the game after a series of All-American like performances. He wound up with good numbers, 12 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists), But he shot3 for 8 from the field. In his previous 6 games he’d been 43 for 73 from the field, a dozen shots a game and 59%.

- You don’t often win when your starting backcourt is 0 for 10. Or when you miss 13 of your first 14 shots. We usually focus on the end of close games in determining how games were lost. But you set up the situation you’re in before that. Often long before that.

- The problem with the moving screen call wasn’t that it was a bad call: it probably met the definition of a moving screen. The problem was that it rarely gets called, even though it goes on all the time and this ref called it in the final minute of a single possession game. And this after letting Pitt get away with murder in guarding Rakeem Christmas. I’m not one of those who believes in swallowing the whistle in the final minute to “let the players decide it”. But if you aren’t going to call something the whole game, don’t decide to call it in the final minute. You can’t call one game for 39 minutes and another in the final minute. That’s the whole point.

Last edited:
Officials seem to be a bit "off" lately. I'm trying to be polite here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom