The Downside - South Carolina | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - South Carolina

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I confess I wasn’t playing full attention to this game. I had it on the computer and the football game, (which turned out to be the more enjoyable of the two) on TV. I prefer the local announcers so I had the sound turned down and two radios on. I was also checking up on Ohio State-Michigan and the High School playoff games. I was hearing multiple voices. I wondered: “Is this what schizophrenia is like?”

- The best I could tell about the basketball game is that it looked an awful lot like the SC-Michigan game I had watched where Michigan just couldn’t run its offense, didn’t get the shots they wanted and couldn’t get to the boards, either. By the time the football game ended, the issue had been decided and they were just determining the final score. I knew Tyler Lydon was having a good game but it didn’t seem like anybody else was.

- Lydon did have a good game with 18 points and 7 rebounds but he also led the team with 6 turnovers.

- But that’s only because John Gillon stopped at 5. In 28 minutes, he was able to get only one shot off. He made it but wound up with 3 points and 3 assists.

- One of the first stats to look at in a box score is assist to turnover ratio. You want it to be a bout 2-1. Ours was 9-17.

- Another is to break out the two point shooting. Nothing correlates more to victory than that, (per a study I did some years ago based on 20+ years of SU statistics). We were a reasonable 6 for 15 outside the arc, (actually more than reasonable: that’s 40%). We were an awful 8 for 29 inside it, ((27.6%). South Carolina, obviously, is a very good defensive team but you’ve got to do better than that to beat anybody. The Gamecocks, by comparison, were only 4 for 13 outside the arc, (31%) but 19 for 38 (50%) inside of it. Ball game.

- We got outrebounded 37-30 and had two more turnovers, 15-17, so they got 9 more chance and were scoring better than we were to begin with.

- “Turned off” Tyler Roberson was 0 for 3 from the field and scored 1 point in 21 minutes. He had 6 rebounds but two turnovers.

- Taurean Thompson and Tyus Battle, our two freshmen, were 1 for 8 from the field between them. Our new gunner, Andrew White was 3 for 9 and 1 for 5 from outside. In fact, Gillon was the only SU player to hit 50% of his shots and he only attempted the one. We shot 32% to their 45%.

- I had through JB was resting DaJuan Coleman’s knees and that, because of his experience, his physical strength and his inside scoring and rebounding, we’d see more of him in a game like this. He played 15 minutes, scored 4 points and had 4 rebounds. Per JB, he gave up a couple of open shots he shouldn’t have. I guess he’s just a 10-15 minute guy, even as a senior.

- We’re not the powerhouse we thought we were. Talent isn’t enough. You’ve got to play like a team and with the intensity that South Carolina showed tonight. Like JB said “we’ve got a lot of work to do.”

Last edited:
Being soft offensively inside was the biggest disappointment.

- I confess I wasn’t playing full attention to this game. I had it on the computer and the football game, (which turned out to be the more enjoyable of the two) on TV. I prefer the local announcers so I had the sound turned down and two radios on. I was also checking up on Ohio State-Michigan and the High School playoff games. I was hearing multiple voices. I wondered: “Is this what schizophrenia is like?”

- The best I could tell about the basketball game is that it looked an awful lot like the SC-Michigan game I had watched where Michigan just couldn’t run its offense, didn’t get the shots they wanted and couldn’t get to the boards, either. By the time the football game ended, the issue had been decided and they were just determining the final score. I knew Tyler Lydon was having a good game but it didn’t seem like anybody else was.

- Lydon did have a good game with 18 points and 7 rebounds but he also led the team with 6 turnovers.

- But that’s only because John Gillon stopped at 5. In 28 minutes, he was able to get only one shot off. He made it but wound up with 3 points and 3 assists.

- One of the first stats to look at in a box score is assist to turnover ratio. You want it to be a bout 2-1. Ours was 9-17.

- Another is to break out the two point shooting. Nothing correlates more to victory than that, (per a study I did some years ago based on 20+ years of SU statistics). We were a reasonable 6 for 15 outside the arc, (actually more than reasonable: that’s 40%). We were an awful 8 for 29 inside it, ((27.6%). South Carolina, obviously, is a very good defensive team but you’ve got to do better than that to beat anybody. The Gamecocks, by comparison, were only 4 for 13 outside the arc, (31%) but 19 for 38 (50%) inside of it. Ball game.

- We got outrebounded 37=0-37 and had two more turnovers, 15-17, so they got 9 more chance and were scoring better than we were to begin with.

- “Turned off” Tyler Roberson was 0 for 3 from the field and scored 1 point in 21 minutes. He had 6 rebounds but two turnovers.

- Taurean Thompson and Tyus Battle, our two freshmen, were 1 for 8 from the field between them. Our new gunner, Andrew White was 3 for 9 and 1 for 5 from outside. In fact, Gillon was the only SU player to hit 50% of his shots and he only attempted the one. We shot 32% to their 45%.

- I had through JB was resting DaJuan Coleman’s knees and that, because of his experience, his physical strength and his inside scoring and rebounding, we’d see more of him in a game like this. He played 15 minutes, scored 4 points and had 4 rebounds. Per JB, he gave up a couple of open shots he shouldn’t have. I guess he’s just a 10-15 minute guy, even as a senior.

- We’re not the powerhouse we thought we were. Talent isn’t enough. You’ve got to play like a team and with the intensity that South Carolina showed tonight. Like JB said “we’ve got a lot of work to do.”

Damn! I hate to like your downsides.

It was an early season game for the refs yesterday as well. Roberson's last shot at least was very much a foul. The defender straight up grabbed his wrist and pulled it away from the ball. Not much you can do about that if the stripes won't call it. I saw lots of arms swinging when we had the ball inside.

But our guys have to be stronger and power through some of that. Chukwu will never be serviceable on the offensive end, and the more time he's in the game is less time for a basketball player to be out there.

So who grunts more on a broadcast? Gedney, Roe, or Waldman?

Chukwu will never be serviceable on the offensive end, and the more time he's in the game is less time for a basketball player to be out there.

Man, my projections on Chukwu were way off. I didn't expect Shaq out there, but having a year under his belt at Providence and reshirting last year, I expected him to at least be serviceable. He appears to be a major project.

Kentucky fan here. I stopped by during the Quade thing, and seeing y'all seem to care about basketball, combined with claims SU would beat UK this year and what I believe was a top 10 Kenpom ranking, I was honestly excited to watch SU play. I didn't say much at the time because I knew nothing really about the current team, and JB has seemed too happy lately(which I now attribute to a give no Fs attitude because he's retiring soon), so I looked at the schedule and after the SEC trash talk I thought SC would be a good game to watch. Obviously I was disappointed.
I will start by saying that I've always had respect for SU since you're usually second, and are the only team I ever remember beating us, in attendance. I also lived in the Watertown area for a few years and made some SU friends, most of which were good people.
That being said, the trash talk was ridiculous. Like most other years, SU just isn't that good. That SC team was ranked in the bottom half of the SEC preseason(probably a bit low, but I wouldn't expect them in the SEC top 5 at the end of the year). The only reason you have so many seats to fill is you co-opt the football field, and you usually have 10,000 to 20,000 empty seats(do you still hang the big curtain to hide the empty seats?). The SEC is not the best basketball conference, but it's underrated, and the teams are full of athletes. The constant 2-3 is annoying, and using it nearly 100% of the time shows a laziness on JB's part, plus it doesn't do much to help prepare kids for playing D in the NBA(what good recruits want). Another sign of JB's laziness is the non-con schedule that's always crap, and nearly any time a decent team gets scheduled it's the required Big10/ACC challenge or played in NY. Melo dragged JB/SU to that championship(you did still win 1, and many teams don't even have 1. props).
To close, I really dislike Louisville, UNC and Duke, so please beat them. Thanks.

Kentucky fan here. I stopped by during the Quade thing, and seeing y'all seem to care about basketball, combined with claims SU would beat UK this year and what I believe was a top 10 Kenpom ranking, I was honestly excited to watch SU play. I didn't say much at the time because I knew nothing really about the current team, and JB has seemed too happy lately(which I now attribute to a give no Fs attitude because he's retiring soon), so I looked at the schedule and after the SEC trash talk I thought SC would be a good game to watch. Obviously I was disappointed.
I will start by saying that I've always had respect for SU since you're usually second, and are the only team I ever remember beating us, in attendance. I also lived in the Watertown area for a few years and made some SU friends, most of which were good people.
That being said, the trash talk was ridiculous. Like most other years, SU just isn't that good. That SC team was ranked in the bottom half of the SEC preseason(probably a bit low, but I wouldn't expect them in the SEC top 5 at the end of the year). The only reason you have so many seats to fill is you co-opt the football field, and you usually have 10,000 to 20,000 empty seats(do you still hang the big curtain to hide the empty seats?). The SEC is not the best basketball conference, but it's underrated, and the teams are full of athletes. The constant 2-3 is annoying, and using it nearly 100% of the time shows a laziness on JB's part, plus it doesn't do much to help prepare kids for playing D in the NBA(what good recruits want). Another sign of JB's laziness is the non-con schedule that's always crap, and nearly any time a decent team gets scheduled it's the required Big10/ACC challenge or played in NY. Melo dragged JB/SU to that championship(you did still win 1, and many teams don't even have 1. props).
To close, I really dislike Louisville, UNC and Duke, so please beat them. Thanks.

Really solid contribution there. Are you serious with this?

Really solid contribution there. Are you serious with this?
Oddly, I'm not sure if thats a serious question. Reading it again, that was more intense than it should have been(I'm still a bit amped after UK beat Louisville in FB yesterday), but if it was a bit toned down and SU was given credit for FFs in 13 and 16 (best 4 year SU run ever?) I don't think I'd disagree with any of those actual points.

Donald, you've got better things to do right now.

Donald, you've got better things to do right now.
1) Donald is the worst. 2) Like I said, I was too amped up. Probably shouldn't have used that phrasing. The only real ass I can recall is a guy who punched me at the Auburn SU 03, but I've seen Kentucky fans start fights too.

Our players just looked flat out surprised by SC's intensity and workmanlike game. I didn't watch the whole game either, too much football happening, but the 50% of the game I saw did not feature our team acting as a team on offense or defense. I wonder if JB going deep on the bench doesn't mean it will take longer to get everyone to gel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom