The Downside - Virginia | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Virginia

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Jimmy Salatin said after the game “There are no moral victories for a school like Syracuse but this was a strong performance”. There are no moral victories for anyone because the term makes no sense, (what would an immoral victory be? Accurater told me tonight: “The Duke game, two years ago!). Performances can be encouraging but in January we’re not looking for encouragement. We’re looking for wins. And this was still another opportunity for a big win that slipped away from this team.

- And tonight we were a two man team. Michael Gbinije and Mal Richardson combined for 47 points. That’s great but their teammates combined for 18 points. Two guys can’t beat 5 guys.

- After getting 20 rebounds vs. Duke, Tyler Roberson had none- zero- at halftime. He wound up with 7. After we grabbed 26 offensive rebounds vs. Duke, we had 9 in this game.

- Tyler Lydon: 26 minutes. 1 field goal attempt, a three pointer. He’s 6-9! He can pass but had no assists. Virginia, like so many teams, burned us from the top of the key. We had no one there. Lydon was always out on the wing or out front, 25 feet from the basket. The guy is 6-9!

- DaJuan Coleman: 2 points in 22 minutes, both from the line. He did have 6 rebounds but no assists, blocks or steals.

- Trevor Cooney was 2 for 8 from three point range but only 1 for 5 from two point range.

- Franklin Howard played 5 minutes, his night ending when he missed his only shot, a three pointer early in the shot clock that made him 1 for 11 this season from three point range.

- JB complained about our interior defense in his press conference thought our problem was the exterior defense. We allowed far too many open threes. But JB explained that: they are trying to help out inside. It's like we have more leaks in the dyke than we have fingers.

Last edited:
The end of the first half was Lydon's lowlight reel. Bad shot followed by matador D. I think DC's contributions are skewed by his inability to score. Simply by playing a position he's built for he is of value to us.

Trevor's spin move off the dribble needs to be retired, but to be fair the 3 man Globetrotter weave we ran most of the game would have led to anyone forcing some drives.

The downside for me is the tired act of running an exclusive defense against a team that has been year in/year out built to destroy it.

We can't even stop them from rolling the ball over half court to negate them a full 30 seconds to attack and probe.

It is what it is but they put on a clinic in the first half and then, come winning time, they got whatever they wanted. Duck in down low, check. Wide open three pointer, check. Penetration, check. Game, checkmate.

"We can't even stop them from rolling the ball over half court to negate them a full 30 seconds to attack and probe."

that absolutely blew my mind. i can't ever remember seeing a team do that with a lead and 10 minutes to play.

The downside for me is the tired act of running an exclusive defense against a team that has been year in/year out built to destroy it.

Don't call it MTM because that upsets JB. Call a 1-1-1-1-1 zone, or, pressing on the opponents side of mid-court.

"We can't even stop them from rolling the ball over half court to negate them a full 30 seconds to attack and probe."

that absolutely blew my mind. i can't ever remember seeing a team do that with a lead and 10 minutes to play.
Me watching Virginia roll the ball past half court all game...

image.jpg

Well, since that is Bennett's answer to the Syracuse zone and the shot clock, will we see more of this ball-rolling? Here we go again, people learning how to play us.

Well, since that is Bennett's answer to the Syracuse zone and the shot clock, will we see more of this ball-rolling? Here we go again, people learning how to play us.

It's simple, but genius......why not have a full 30 second shot clock to probe the zone if we are going to give it?

It's simple, but genius...why not have a full 30 second shot clock to probe the zone if we are going to give it?

This could be the beginning of a change of rule, if it becomes common, since it doesn't seem very good for the game. Maybe start the clock when the ball touches the court (or player) or when the in-bounder let's go of the ball.

Can the inbounder be the first touch ?
No. The closest most folks come to this is to have the inbounder throw the ball in, hit a defender fronting someone on the court in the back, step in, and pick up the ball. It's also why you have to have at least two players left to continue a game. If you're down to two players left and one fouls out, you have to forfeit.

"It's also why you have to have at least two players left to continue a game. If you're down to two players left and one fouls out, you have to forfeit."

oh really ? or perhaps hope for earthquakes and asteroids !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom