The Downside- Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Not everyone had a great game. It just looked like that. Mal Richardson, who had been our most productive player in the ACC games with 82 points in 5 games on 26 for 56 shooting, (.464), including 16 for 30, (.533) from the arc, was 1 for 8, (0-4) for 5 points in this game. So, yeah, we could have bene better. And against Duke on Monday night, we’ll likely have to be.

- Cooney, after scoring 19 points in 9 ½ minutes, got only 6 the rest of the way. I thought we were looking at a 40 points game. We haven’t had one since GMAC vs. BYU a dozen years ago.

- Before he started dunking, Gbinije was pretty ineffective. He had 1 point when Cooney had 19. He’s 6 for 36 from the arc in ACC play, ((16.7%) In fact, in his last nine games, he’s 13 for 61, (21.3%) after being 34 for 67, ((50.7%) in the 10 games before that.

- The refs got plenty of face time, calling 46 fouls, 27 on us. And sending Wake to the line 42 times, (compared to 25 for us). Compare that to the infamous 2012 Ohio State game in the Elite 8: Those refs called 48 fouls, 28 against us. And sent Ohio State to the line 42 times to 25 for us. It was the same game to the refs. Fortunately we weren’t playing the same team.

- We’ll find out how true a positive this is Monday night.

the downside was that I didn't get to see the game.

in Cuse for the weekend and did a kids thing then went to Dino for lunch

no clear TV shot from our table

delicious food

maybe I wont watch another game this year :eek:

- Not everyone had a great game. It just looked like that. Mal Richardson, who had been our most productive player in the ACC games with 82 points in 5 games on 26 for 56 shooting, (.464), including 16 for 30, (.533) from the arc, was 1 for 8, (0-4) for 5 points in this game. So, yeah, we could have bene better. And against Duke on Monday night, we’ll likely have to be.

- Cooney, after scoring 19 points in 9 ½ minutes, got only 6 the rest of the way. I thought we were looking at a 40 points game. We haven’t had one since GMAC vs. BYU a dozen years ago.

- Before he started dunking, Gbinije was pretty ineffective. He had 1 point when Cooney had 19. He’s 6 for 36 from the arc in ACC play, ((16.7%) In fact, in his last nine games, he’s 13 for 61, (21.3%) after being 34 for 67, ((50.7%) in the 10 games before that.

- The refs got plenty of face time, calling 46 fouls, 27 on us. And sending Wake to the line 42 times, (compared to 25 for us). Compare that to the infamous 2012 Ohio State game in the Elite 8: Those refs called 48 fouls, 28 against us. And sent Ohio State to the line 42 times to 25 for us. It was the same game to the refs. Fortunately we weren’t playing the same team.

- We’ll find out how true a positive this is Monday night.

Cuse sports gamedays are never officially over until SWC posts his upside and downside.

Today's upside had to have been relatively easy to compose. There were upsides throughout the game as well as the post-game press conference. But what about the downside? Putting that together had to be a challenge. I thought perhaps SWC might have to reach for "The walk-ons missed a couple of threes".

delicious food

Shark, you MUST watch a replay of this game! No excuses. You will be flooded with endorphins for days. Chop chop!

Our guys having 3 and 4 fouls against them was the scariest thing. Coleman and Lydon are doing something wrong with their body positions when they play defense and fouls are being called on them that don't seem to be there from our viewpoint but it sure triggers the refs. We can't make it so easy for the refs to call us for fouls! We should be able to outwit them. I don't have the answer, of course, but would welcome SWC's opinion. Or anyone's. To me, it looks like they are standing straight with their arms up, but what do the refs see?

delicious food

Hey, I was gonna take credit for that! But, not for anything as fun as Dino BBQ. Actually, I was painting (no, not artwork) in the basement and was working to a deadline, if you know what I mean.

We can't make it so easy for the refs to call us for fouls! We should be able to outwit them. I don't have the answer, of course, but would welcome SWC's opinion. Or anyone's. To me, it looks like they are standing straight with their arms up, but what do the refs see?

Somebody gets it! It's simple math, guys: "If the refs are calling it, stop doing it! Because if you don't, they're gonna keep calling it!" :noidea:

Geez, we win by 30 and we're still pissed at the officials. One time in a game I was doing, the coach pointed out a discrepancy in the fouls, and I said, "Same reason you're ahead coach, you're more aggressive."

He did a bit of a double take and said, "I knew that." And he never said another word about fouls after that.

Go Orange. :)

Shark, you MUST watch a replay of this game! No excuses. You will be flooded with endorphins for days. Chop chop!

Our guys having 3 and 4 fouls against them was the scariest thing. Coleman and Lydon are doing something wrong with their body positions when they play defense and fouls are being called on them that don't seem to be there from our viewpoint but it sure triggers the refs. We can't make it so easy for the refs to call us for fouls! We should be able to outwit them. I don't have the answer, of course, but would welcome SWC's opinion. Or anyone's. To me, it looks like they are standing straight with their arms up, but what do the refs see?
That was just a horrible, whistle-happy officiating crew that too often anticipated contact that never materialized. That was not a roughly contested, physical game worthy of 45 fouls. Your eyes weren't deceiving you.

That was just a horrible, whistle-happy officiating crew that too often anticipated contact that never materialized. That was not a roughly contested, physical game worthy of 45 fouls. Your eyes weren't deceiving you.

Those happen, also. Often there's something else going on. As in, maybe it's when the crew chief is a bit whistle happy and the others try to match up, so at least there's consistency that way. Or, it may have been the crew chief's first appointment as crew chief in an ACC game, and he was being observed by either the ACC or the NCAA. You never know about things like that0.

Finally, I predicted after Jimmy's meltdown at Cameron in 2014 that it would be two years before we'd get a favorable game from ACC officials crews. Maybe we're still working off some of that ... :noidea:

We played very very well, but the only downside is that our last two opponents aren't very good, but they may be GREAT for our confidence.

Tomorrow is HUGE. It would put is right back into the NCAA conversation...I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself, but I wanna take down the Dukies

Those happen, also. Often there's something else going on. As in, maybe it's when the crew chief is a bit whistle happy and the others try to match up, so at least there's consistency that way. Or, it may have been the crew chief's first appointment as crew chief in an ACC game, and he was being observed by either the ACC or the NCAA. You never know about things like that0.

Finally, I predicted after Jimmy's meltdown at Cameron in 2014 that it would be two years before we'd get a favorable game from ACC officials crews. Maybe we're still working off some of that ... :noidea:
Thanks, I appreciate your perspective as I know you officiate. I would hope we're not still being punished for the Duke incident; after a few of those calls on Coleman yesterday, I thought we might see another one.

There are three things you can look at in a box score that give a vague indication of whether the officiating was off-center. The team that attempts the most two point shots and the team that scored the most points in the paint will normally be the team that is fouled the most. And they will normally get the most free throws per the number of times fouled, (more shooting fouls). We attempted 38 two point shots and scored 32 points in the paint and got fouled 19 times. We went to the line 25 times on those 19 fouls. Wake Forest attempted 23 two point shots and scored 20 points in the paint but got fouled 27 times. They went to the 42 times on those 27 fouls.

The ratio of our two point shots to the times we were fouled was 2.0. With Wake it was 0.9.

The ratio of our points in the paint to times fouled was 1.7. With Wake it was 0.7.

We got 1.3 free throws per times we were fouled. Wake got 1.6.

The stats seem to indicate that the calls favored Wake. But we've had a number of games this year where they favored us and we didn't complain because we won. In this case the team that had those advantages lost and even got blown out, which is a rare thing.

There are three things you can look at in a box score that give a vague indication of whether the officiating was off-center. The team that attempts the most two point shots and the team that scored the most points in the paint will normally be the team that is fouled the most. And they will normally get the most free throws per the number of times fouled, (more shooting fouls). We attempted 38 two point shots and scored 32 points in the paint and got fouled 19 times. We went to the line 25 times on those 19 fouls. Wake Forest attempted 23 two point shots and scored 20 points in the paint but got fouled 27 times. They went to the 42 times on those 27 fouls.

The ratio of our two point shots to the times we were fouled was 2.0. With Wake it was 0.9.

The ratio of our points in the paint to times fouled was 1.7. With Wake it was 0.7.

We got 1.3 free throws per times we were fouled. Wake got 1.6.

The stats seem to indicate that the calls favored Wake. But we've had a number of games this year where they favored us and we didn't complain because we won. In this case the team that had those advantages lost and even got blown out, which is a rare thing.
Your mind is a steel trap, isn't it?

Your mind is a steel trap, isn't it?

mousetrap.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors