The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Pepto-Bismol doesn’t taste any different than it did when I was a kid.

- Wake Forest hung in there but I never thought they were a very good team. We should have won this by 20+ but kept finding ways to keep them in it.

- Shooting: Ugh. We were 18 for 44 inside the arc, 3 for 14 outside of it and 22 for 33 from the line. 41%, 21% and 67%. We went 8:56 without a field goal in the first half.

- Trevor Cooney scored 8 points in 42 seconds. He scored Zero points in the other 39:18. He was 0 for 5 from outside and they weren’t close. He’s now 14 for 56 in ACC games from the arc, (25%) after being around 50% for much of the season before that. It’s a huge reason why we are struggling so much offensively.

- Forcing turnovers is a big part of dour defense- and our offense. We got only 8 vs. Wake Tonight and were -1 in this stat.

- The refs called 45 fouls, (and it was a physical game and also a game where players got tired, which often causes them to fouls guys going past them). It gave us the most serious foul trouble of the season. Rakeem Christmas, who was playing wonderfully, was limited to 20 minutes and fouled out. Baye Keita had four fouls. We were one foul away from having no center available.

- Michael Gbinije opened with a big trey, they went 0 for 3 with no assists and 2 turnovers

- CJ Fair got his numbers, as usual, but missed 10 of 14 field goals and 4 three throws, two of them after being fouled on a trey. He also missed covering Travis McKee on the last play of the first half. McKie drained a three to cut the lead in half, (after three SU guys had fought each other for a rebound and came up empty.

- Tyler Ennis twisted an ankle and was noticeably limping after that. Hopefully it’s nothing. But what if it isn’t?

- We are having our annual slump but finding ways to win. Against Duke we need 40 minutes of quality basketball or forget it. If we go 9 minutes without a field goal we will be down by 20 at the half and probably lose by 30.

Last edited:
I love it when we win. But I'm not enjoying these games. Too nerve wracking.

I enjoyed the "Pepto-bismol" line, however.

Last edited:

- Wake Forest hung in there but I never thought they were a very good team. We should have won this by 20+ but kept finding ways to keep them in it.

- Shooting: Ugh. We were 18 for 44 inside the arc, 3 for 14 outside of it and 22 for 33 from the line. 41%, 21% and 67%. We went 8:56 without a field goal in the first half.

- Trevor Cooney scored 8 points in 42 seconds. He scored Zero points in the other 39:18. He was 0 for 5 from outside and they weren’t close. He’s now 14 for 56 in ACC games from the arc, (25%) after being around 50% for much of the season before that. It’s a huge reason why we are struggling so much offensively.

- Forcing turnovers is a big part of dour defense- and our offense. We got only 8 vs. Wake Tonight and were -1 in this stat.

- The refs called 45 fouls, (and it was a physical game and also a game where players got tired, which often causes them to fouls guys going past them). It gave us the most serious foul trouble of the season. Rakeem Christmas, who was playing wonderfully, was limited to 20 minutes and fouled out. Baye Keita had four fouls. We were one foul away from having no center available.

- Michael Gbinije opened with a big trey, they went 0 for 3 with no assists and 2 turnovers

- CJ Fair got his numbers, usual but missed 10 of 14 field goals and 4 three throws, two of them after being fouled on a try. He also missed covering Travis McKee on the last play of the first half. McKie drained a three to cut the lead in half, (after three SU guys had fought each other for a rebound and came up empty.

- Tyler Ennis twisted an ankle and was noticeably limping after that. Hopefully it’s nothing. But what if it isn’t?

- We are having our annual slump but finding ways to win. Against Duke we need 40 minutes of quality basketball or forget it. If we go 9 minutes without a field goal we will be down by 20 at the half and probably lose by 30.
The downside: this game was truly a poor showing by both teams. Downright ugly. :(

Big East-esque without all the grabbing. I mean from an ugliness standpoint. Like grinding out a win at the RAC or something. But since I finally got a big screen HDTV to watch stuff on it was tolerable.

The downside: this game was truly a poor showing by both teams. Downright ugly. :(

Hard to play your game and get into a flow with so many fouls being called. Not sure how it looked on television, but at the game it mostly looked like they just wouldn't let them play the game. I'll be hearing their whistles in my sleep.

First half was horrific. As bad as they've played all year. Rebounding was the only saving grace. Second half, though, I thought they looked real good. 41 points, 48 percent shooting. I saw them get out on the break more than I have the past 3-4 games combined. Hopeful they've turned a corner tonight.

-

I thought both teams did a really poor job of reacting to the refs. I heard a quote last week that younger officials are calling the game tight (according to the new interpretations) so they can get NCAA tourney games and older refs are letting them play because they hate the new rules and know they are going to call NCAA games anyway. I think we saw last night the results of these inconsistencies. And it makes the game tough to watch. Especially when Rak gets run over twice and they call him for the foul. I honestly don't know what he could have done better except to maybe flop (isn't that one of the reasons they decided to change the rules) to get those calls.

Cooney was way off last night, but I really thought he would get it going with that wide open shot he had off of a beautiful feed from Rak. Knew it was going to be a rough night, and a bad day for him here today, when he missed that easy one. He seems to be aiming the ball and rushing a bit more now, like he did last year. Needs to slow himself down.

I like your last statement especially. These are definitely the types of games we lost in years past, even in recent history. That's the Ennis Effect.

- CJ Fair got his numbers, usual but missed 10 of 14 field goals and 4 three throws, two of them after being fouled on a try. He also missed covering Travis McKee on the last play of the first half. McKie drained a three to cut the lead in half, (after three SU guys had fought each other for a rebound and came up empty.

You had me at Pepto. Thanks as always SWC.

"- The refs called 45 fouls, (and it was a physical game and also a game where players got tired, which often causes them to fouls guys going past them). It gave us the most serious foul trouble of the season. Rakeem Christmas, who was playing wonderfully, was limited to 20 minutes and fouled out. Baye Keita had four fouls. We were one foul away from having no center available."
i'd agree 100% here. i think fatigue was a big factor last as far as the fouls went with the bigs. good move by JB pulling a tired baye out after a couple quickies and putting the fresher raxmas back in. the telltale sign of
fatigue is and always will be players hunched over with hands on knees. we had four on the court last night.

Great line and accurate too for this "game".
Love your analysis always.

Now on to the UPSIDE. There has to be order in my life and this is one of them. Always want to end on a positive note. See you there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom