the end of a&m and arkansas, everything wrong with college bball | Syracusefan.com

the end of a&m and arkansas, everything wrong with college bball

orangehomer

All American
the a&m kid gets called for a complete BS charge, which should have been a bucket plus a free throw. next play, a&m gets a steal and the same kid is afraid to attack the rim in transition because of the BS charge call, and turns it over. horrible officiating, but I guess espn gets what they want with the pseudo-"upset".

No, that is a big upset. Arkansas has been mediocre at best this year. Not like in the past couple where they were a fringe top-25 team because of Bobby Portis.

the a&m kid gets called for a complete BS charge, which should have been a bucket plus a free throw. next play, a&m gets a steal and the same kid is afraid to attack the rim in transition because of the BS charge call, and turns it over. horrible officiating, but I guess espn gets what they want with the pseudo-"upset".
so hard to watch sometimes, who's in the spotlight, kids or officials?

Saw the score, but I was too busy watching Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green goo poo poo all over the Rockets last night. I didn't see any charges!

No, that is a big upset. Arkansas has been mediocre at best this year. Not like in the past couple where they were a fringe top-25 team because of Bobby Portis.

3 point underdog.
[ ] Big upset.

did not see this play but Block/Charge calls are a huge pet peeve of mine. Way too many charges called. Taking a charge is supposed to be a great play, something thats very difficult to accomplish. Should require basically perfect position. IMO about 80-85% of these collisions should be blocks, whereas its basically 5050 if not actually somehow leaning in favor of a charge. Its almost like NFL replay where you better be 100% he was set and it was a charge otherwise just go with a block or god forbid a non call if at all reasonable.

the main issue is the rule.. you dont have to be set at all to get a charge, you just have to be in position to defend.

Get rid of the charge call. Defender has to make a play on the ball. No more getting rewarded for standing still.

3 point underdog.
[ ] Big upset.

I was surprised by the line when I looked at it yesterday (It was at 3.5 at the time), but when I looked at it it made sense. They are not an easy out on the road.

Arkansas has had quite a bit of tough luck in close games - KP has them as the second most unlucky team in the entire country. They could easily be 13-7 or 14-6. It won't help them come tourney time, but they are better than 10-10.

I don't know what to do about charge/block calls. It's the f$^king hardest call to make in sports with how fast the game moves. I do feel a little bad for the refs...the fans have the luxury of gifs, jpegs, and youtube after the fact to mak their conclusions.

I was surprised by the line when I looked at it yesterday (It was at 3.5 at the time), but when I looked at it it made sense. They are not an easy out on the road.

Arkansas has had quite a bit of tough luck in close games - KP has them as the second most unlucky team in the entire country. They could easily be 13-7 or 14-6. It won't help them come tourney time, but they are better than 10-10.
Seriously, there is a stat for most unlucky team? who's #1 and you guys really buy into this crap?

Seriously, there is a stat for most unlucky team? who's #1 and you guys really buy into this crap?

Yes. Mississippi State. Texas A&M cc is the luckiest. Your Syracuse Orange come in at 276.

"Luck" may be the poor moniker to place on the stat. It's merely taking a team's net efficiency per 100 possessions and calculating what an average record would be for such efficiency and schedule strength.

At the end of the day, the "Luck" stat will typically show you teams that have done well or done poorly in close games. Some may fairly view that as being caused by another team trait (Clutch, Stupidity, Coaching) that has nothing to do with luck.

It is relevant for understanding opening odds because odds are based on efficiency of teams, rather than Win-Loss record. Which is why the Arkansas line seemed strange at first glance.

I do believe it is and should be totally irrelevant for NCAA Selection. That should be about actual W's and L's.

Last edited:
Anyone want to bring this discussion back up after tonight? We were on the beneficial end of at least 2 charge calls and maybe 3 tonight. One was an absolute flop by Mal.

CuseFaninVT said:
Anyone want to bring this discussion back up after tonight? We were on the beneficial end of at least 2 charge calls and maybe 3 tonight. One was an absolute flop by Mal.

None were charges. They should have been either blocks or no calls. In the paint they look where the defenders feet are. If there in the arc block. Outside of it a charge. They don't even care if there set. Lydon definitely wasn't set on 1 of them. I hate the way they call it now and no I dont have an answer on how to improve it

None were charges. They should have been either blocks or no calls. In the paint they look where the defenders feet are. If there in the arc block. Outside of it a charge. They don't even care if there set. Lydon definitely wasn't set on 1 of them. I hate the way they call it now and no I dont have an answer on how to improve it

Have to say I think I agree with you. The arc actually makes it worse I think.

Tough to defend referees with the arbitrary way they blow the whistle. Disgraceful that two of them watch Roberson have a player roll up on his legs and not call a foul.

10-10 Arkansas lost by 23 @TAMU earlier this year. So, yes it's a big upset.
I disagree. The 3 point spread trumps any stat you want to throw out there. The game was close to a coin flip. That is the farthest thing from a "big upset" you can have.

I disagree. The 3 point spread trumps any stat you want to throw out there. The game was close to a coin flip. That is the farthest thing from a "big upset" you can have.

If only Vegas were privy to such obscure information as "margin in 1st meeting"...they'd be tough to beat.