The future of the Dome... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The future of the Dome...

personally, i can't stand how froofy these food trucks have become. i'm not paying 12 bucks for fries just because you squirted a drop of truffle j!zz on it. give me a godd@mn hotdog already

Ummm, OK?

OrangeXtreme said:
Alex Dunbar ‏@AlexDunbarNews 6m AEG Live rep : current Carrier Dome roof can not handle lighting rigging for some major acts & SU considering upgrade

I just got the same response from Trans Siberian Orchestra when I asked the guitarist why Syracuse isn't on their yearly tour anymore. That was for the WAR MEMORIAL though. So now two places?

I just got the same response from Trans Siberian Orchestra when I asked the guitarist why Syracuse isn't on their yearly tour anymore. That was for the WAR MEMORIAL though. So now two places?

The Landmark just remodeled their stage last year.

Alex Dunbar ‏@AlexDunbarNews 6m
AEG Live rep : current Carrier Dome roof can not handle lighting rigging for some major acts & SU considering upgrade

I just got a text from my sister saying that Billy Joel is returning to the Dome in March. All the major acts used to play the Dome. Is this news a reflection of the roof or the more current lighting rigging?

I just got a text from my sister saying that Billy Joel is returning to the Dome in March. All the major acts used to play the Dome. Is this news a reflection of the roof or the more current lighting rigging?
Could be both but I believe SU purposely cut down the number due to the haggling that used to take place with the city over taxation. "Tax the dome!"

I'm guessing that it's a rigging issue.

Outdoor acts that play in FB stadiums during the Summer don't have a ceiling to use, so they usually bring along a tractor-trailer load of their own scaffolding. Indoor acts would be able to use an arena's existing ceiling / rigging.

The Dome is an "indoor" arena which requires an "outdoor" setup which some Winter/Spring acts may not be equipped to handle.

Could be both but I believe SU purposely cut down the number due to the haggling that used to take place with the city over taxation. "Tax the dome!"

Nah, it's a logistical concern. The tax thing was cleared up in 1981 or 1982.

Nah, it's a logistical concern. The tax thing was cleared up in 1981 or 1982.
I was talking more late 80s rally cries and the agreement reached in 1986. The "agreement" was a legally forced one and I don't think it was favorable to the university...certainly not as favorable as being totally tax exempt as it was before that.

If SU was really interested they could essentially build an "urban tailgating corridor" from M Street to the Quad. There's already an M Street scene, and they could have stands lining the walkway between Newhouse and Schine, right up to the Quad, where they could circle it with food trucks. Set up a few hundred folding chairs and plastic picnic tables, and you could have a few thousand people partaking in a backyard BBQ-style tailgate. Would be fun and unique.

It would be cool if the utilized the grassy area on Walnut. Get some vendors out there and set up tents. Set it up like a block party.

It would be cool if the utilized the grassy area on Walnut. Get some vendors out there and set up tents. Set it up like a block party.
That's the first place I ever tailgated. Popped the trunk, rolled out the keg and had a little food too.

That's the first place I ever tailgated. Popped the trunk, rolled out the keg and had a little food too.
Cool we could set up a tailgate incubator there. Maybe I could apply to the State to receive Grant Money and promise I'll create more tailgates in the future to help the economy.

TexanMark said:
SU really could do a few things to improve things. They should seriously look at creating a tailgating grove on the Quad.

It's not tailgating unless you have vehicles, thus the term tailgate. Cooking, eating and drinking in a grassy area without vehicles is called a picnic. Get your terminology straight.

I still wonder if a GA Dome style roof is feasible (assuming proper snow removal capability (2-layer w/ heated air, etc.)). It could be done following hoops (or lax - though they could play at Manley) season and shouldn't weigh nearly as much as a traditional fixed roof.

The Master Plan is being done by Sasaki Associates in Boston. They have done a lot of large scale master plans and also specialize in sports venues. They did the Bejing Olympics, and a BC mater plan recently to name a few. That said, there is a new master plan created about every 5-8 years. There was recently one done by Ayers Saint Gross of Baltimore (Gross is an SU grad) and Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, done about the same time they designed Eggers Hall. It is pretty frequent that very little actual building comes out of these. One building and some landscape projects at most. This is where the Grove and the new Slocum bus stop came from and eventually the new science building. As to research, this is typically scientific/medical research. SU really has no substantial science facilities compared to most other major universities.

Syverud is from Wash.U in St.Louis, where research and federal funding make that university. Wash U also has great programs in things like Architecture, but their academic prowess is from their research and med. programs. Many high academic universities have separate "research" or "science" quads. It seems feasible that without the real estate to do this en mass on the main campus, this could easily take the land at Skytop, especially if the Dome stays. The "Center For Excellence" on Erie was primarily state funded and is indicative of the type of growth the state wants to invest in and is willing to incentivize. This facility focuses on environmental and building technology research to advance green design and building techniques. I assume there is a "lease agreement" that the state funds lower rent on the research, but gets a piece of any product or patent that comes out of it. The true intent is to keep high tech jobs in NY and specifically in the "upstate" regions.

The hard roof on the Dome is a BIG challenge, no matter how appropriate. There is no room to add substantial structure for that roof. Wind uploads and snow live loads are likely ot be immense in that area, and with the "surprise" Buffalo storm, those requirements are likely ot increase, as we tend to be very reactionary. I believe the Gov. has already said he wants to create a NY weather service independent of the National Weather Service, and twice its currnet NY footprint (2x the weather reporting stations).

I doubt very much that they would do anything talegaiting on the quad. It is the academic center of the campus. I can see and would welcome them doing something more on Hendricks field, and on that patch of green between Newhouse and Schine. The latter is a great connection to the M Street scene. I don't think they will entertain or encourage party tents and drinking surrounded by academic buildings, nor students who wish to study instead of going to the game. Don't forget, those students are the client for the university. They "donate" $42K/year for 4-5 years, and when it's all done, they are the ones who make the academic reputation, and they are the ones that make donations (or lack there of).

I doubt very much that they would do anything talegaiting on the quad. It is the academic center of the campus. I can see and would welcome them doing something more on Hendricks field, and on that patch of green between Newhouse and Schine. The latter is a great connection to the M Street scene. I don't think they will entertain or encourage party tents and drinking surrounded by academic buildings, nor students who wish to study instead of going to the game. Don't forget, those students are the client for the university. They "donate" $42K/year for 4-5 years, and when it's all done, they are the ones who make the academic reputation, and they are the ones that make donations (or lack there of).
oh come on there are plenty of places to study not near the tailgate

it's not occupy quad street out there, students can study at home a couple times a year

No argument from me, but Syverud was not happy about the "party school" award. It is in direct contrast to his main purpose for being here, which is to raise the academic "brand" of the school at least back to where it was during the first ACC bid (35-40 range? I think someone else mentioned it earlier). We were once on par with BC (and many of the other ACC schools). That is not the case anymore.

Need to blow out the concourse so people don't have to push through like cattle during big games. Also set up areas where people can hang out and have a beer and eat before the game or during half time.

The food needs to be significantly upgraded. Make people want to eat lunch or dinner at the dome instead of before or after the game.

Showing freaking replays of big plays or questionable calls.

I don't know what "research" means. But SU has a handful of schools and programs that are among the very best in the nation. Would make sense to emphasize them, and maybe try to up the standards of other schools.
Research means graduate science, medicine, and engineering. SU outsources medicine to SUNY Upstate (strike medicine) and outsources much of its science to SUNY ESF (scratch science). That leaved engineering (where we are alright), which cannot carry the load on its own. SU is also not a state school with a mandate that forces it to invent things that benefit society as a whole. Instead, it is tasked with selling a service (education), so it stresses academics over research.

SU is a good research institution, but SU will never be an elite research institution. Schools like Whitman, Maxwell, Newhouse, and Architecture don't move that needle, even though they are truly elite and incredibly important.

No argument from me, but Syverud was not happy about the "party school" award. It is in direct contrast to his main purpose for being here, which is to raise the academic "brand" of the school at least back to where it was during the first ACC bid (35-40 range? I think someone else mentioned it earlier). We were once on par with BC (and many of the other ACC schools). That is not the case anymore.
The ranking methodology changed and that hurt us (it wasn't necessarily that we got worse compared to them). Also, the best that we ever were was 40.

At University of Southern California every inch of lawn is covered by "tailgaters" on football day. There is no parking lots at all that accommodate tailgating. You either park in a parking structure, at the Staples Center and take a shuttle or in the parking lots south of the stadium that are on metal of some sort. People bring their gear with them. I don't even know what they do with it at game time, as many people set up there and never even go into the game. It is one of the nicest set ups I have ever seen. They have areas roped off for different groups. If it is parent weekend they will have that tailgate roped off. The rest of the non roped off areas are for anyone. It is fun and pretty peaceful. My son would lose his parking spot on game days. Oh and they also just bought the light rail in right by campus and the stadium. So it is much more inner city than Syracuse and they manage. Of course the weather is a little different also.

It's not tailgating unless you have vehicles, thus the term tailgate. Cooking, eating and drinking in a grassy area without vehicles is called a picnic. Get your terminology straight.
Where does everybody park at the Grove? Isn't that tailgating?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom